• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Group C - Matchday 6 - Tuesday 11th December, 2018

Recommended Posts

Red Star Belgrade vs PSG, 20.00
Liverpool vs Napoli, 20.00

  • Napoli (1st) can draw and still qualify from top spot if PSG (2nd) don't better that in Serbia.
  • If PSG win, and Napoli draw/lose, then PSG will finish top.
  • Liverpool's (3rd) permutations.
    • If Liverpool win 1-0, they will qualify as they have a better goal difference in the group (all other criteria will be level with Napoli with this result)
    • If Liverpool concede, they would have to win the match by 2 goals as Napoli would have a better away-goal difference if so.
      • Liverpool can still qualify if they win by one goal (with Napoli scoring) if PSG lose. Should Liverpool win by one and concede, and PSG draw, PSG will qualify due to having a better away-goals head-to-head record over Liverpool.
  • Red Star (4th) can qualify for Europa League if they win and Liverpool lose. Liverpool will be eliminated from Europe in this scenario.
    • If Red Star win and Liverpool draw, the latter will go through by having several superior head-to-head records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of ours seem like they're not arsed if we go out here as they're happy to put all their eggs in the League basket. I'm desperate for us to get through personally. Get through and we have a great chance of going far again. It's an important one for momentum too. You also don't want to end up the the fucking Europa League!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fucking desperate for it too Mike, only weird cunts will be thinking otherwise. It's a task and a half ahead of us tomorrow night, but this team has shown it can get through even the toughest challenges. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 09:24, Stan said:

Red Star Belgrade vs PSG, 20.00
Liverpool vs Napoli, 20.00

  • Napoli (1st) can draw and still qualify from top spot if PSG (2nd) don't better that in Serbia.
  • If PSG win, and Napoli draw/lose, then PSG will finish top.
  • Liverpool's (3rd) permutations.
    • If Liverpool win 1-0, they will qualify as they have a better goal difference in the group (all other criteria will be level with Napoli with this result)
    • If Liverpool concede, they would have to win the match by 2 goals as Napoli would have a better away-goal difference if so.
      • Liverpool can still qualify if they win by one goal (with Napoli scoring) if PSG lose. Should Liverpool win by one and concede, and PSG draw, PSG will qualify due to having a better away-goals head-to-head record over Liverpool.
  • Red Star (4th) can qualify for Europa League if they win and Liverpool lose. Liverpool will be eliminated from Europe in this scenario.
    • If Red Star win and Liverpool draw, the latter will go through by having several superior head-to-head records.

Where's that from? BBC thinks differently:

Liverpool's situation is slightly more complex.

They play at home to Napoli in their final group game on Wednesday, 12 December.

They have to win that match to have any hope of progress.

If they win and PSG are beaten at Red Star Belgrade, both Liverpool and Napoli will go through. Both teams will have nine points to PSG's eight, and who finishes top will depend on the result at Anfield.

There are two ways Liverpool can finish above Napoli - with a 1-0 win or with a victory by two goals or more.

A 1-0 win would edge them through on goals scored. That's the simple scenario. This next one is a little more complicated still.

If PSG draw at Red Star and Liverpool win, the Reds, PSG and Napoli will be level on nine points.

They would be separated by their record in matches against each other - essentially a mini three-team group, discounting results against Red Star.

A Liverpool victory on 11 December would see them top that on six points, with PSG and Napoli level on five points.

Who progresses out of those two would depend on Napoli's result at Anfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Where's that from? BBC thinks differently:

Liverpool's situation is slightly more complex.

They play at home to Napoli in their final group game on Wednesday, 12 December.

They have to win that match to have any hope of progress.

If they win and PSG are beaten at Red Star Belgrade, both Liverpool and Napoli will go through. Both teams will have nine points to PSG's eight, and who finishes top will depend on the result at Anfield.

There are two ways Liverpool can finish above Napoli - with a 1-0 win or with a victory by two goals or more.

A 1-0 win would edge them through on goals scored. That's the simple scenario. This next one is a little more complicated still.

If PSG draw at Red Star and Liverpool win, the Reds, PSG and Napoli will be level on nine points.

They would be separated by their record in matches against each other - essentially a mini three-team group, discounting results against Red Star.

A Liverpool victory on 11 December would see them top that on six points, with PSG and Napoli level on five points.

Who progresses out of those two would depend on Napoli's result at Anfield.

Worked it out myself.

What I meant is that Liverpool and PSG would qualify ahead of Napoli in that scenario, more dependent on Napoli's result as they say though as well.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

European night. Anfield. I've seen strange things happen on these nights and I am fully expecting another one of those memorable ones again. 

As for Mertens, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. They have a genuine chance of progression and he's just trying to say there's nothing special that the opponent has over them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see we aren't holding anything back. Full attacking setup but I wonder why Keita was not put in ahead of Hendo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Nice to see we aren't holding anything back. Full attacking setup but I wonder why Keita was not put in ahead of Hendo.

Yeah I'd have liked to have seen Keita in there but there's already people going overboard elsewhere in their criticism about the starting xi. Think they forget that it's the same midfield that played most of the semi final v Roma last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LFCMike said:

Yeah I'd have liked to have seen Keita in there but there's already people going overboard elsewhere in their criticism about the starting xi. Think they forget that it's the same midfield that played most of the semi final v Roma last season

Maybe Hendo had a better practice session but I am not complaining about it as having him in the middle means we'll be pushing harder for the ball in situations where we lose it. He might not be the best at distribution or pushing past midfielders in the final third, but you can't fault him for making everyone put in the effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our next 7 matches are pretty tough, so there's got to be some rotation. I'm sure Keita will get plenty of time to show his stuff in the coming run we've got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the only legal way I can watch this is in Spanish xD

My boss is probably thinking I shouldn't be watching it at all, buuuuut I'm going to watch it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liverpool should have scored. Beauty of a cross from Robertson (so many times that's been said this season!) is mis-controlled by Salah and easy for Ospina to collect. Salah could have left it for Firmino as well if he wasn't going to shoot first time, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOAL PSG!!

Mbappe strolls down the left side of the pitch, makes his way in to the box and squares it to Cavani who had an easy finish. 0-1.

Perhaps should have been a foul against PSG in the build up to the goal but the ref let it go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky to be on the pitch. Misses next match if they qualify 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird how the game seems to pass Henderson by in possession. You'd think the holding player is the one everything goes through and yet with Liverpool, it's like he's the last resort in terms of picking a pass.

Doesn't make himself available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Dangerous tackle by Van Dijk there.

Hmm. One of those hard ones to call. Gets the ball but then the follow through catches Mertens, unluckily I'd say. When it's slowed down it looks 10x worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know what I'd have given there. There's a case for a red and there's a case for it not even being a foul. Yellow probably the fair medium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently the only legal way I can watch this is in Spanish xD

My boss is probably thinking I shouldn't be watching it at all, buuuuut I'm going to watch it.

Unlucky mate. Spanish commentary is invariably awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Unlucky mate. Spanish commentary is invariably awful

I had to switch to illegal means because the legal stream was dogshit and the illegal ones are boss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOAL LIVERPOOL!!!!!

Just the goal they needed!

Salah the saviour again for Liverpool. Scoring from quite a tight angle with the aid of the woodwork.

Napoli in Europa League as it stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been coming. Liverpool not even been that good imo but Napoli have just been disgustingly negative.

Playing completely within themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement