talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cristiano Ronaldo challenges Lionel Messi to join him in Serie A

• Subscriber

Banter, must be O.o xD

32 minutes ago | European Football

_104715403_messi_ron2.jpg

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have both won the Ballon d'Or award five times

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo has challenged Lionel Messi to leave Barcelona and sign for a club in Italy.

Portugal international Ronaldo joined Serie A champions Juventus from Real Madrid in a £99.2m deal in the summer.

Ronaldo and Argentina forward Messi, 31, have long been regarded as the world's best players, each winning five Ballon d'Or awards before Real Madrid's Luka Modric claimed this year's prize.

"I'd like him to come to Italy one day," said Ronaldo, 33.

"I hope he accepts the challenge like me, but if he's happy there then I respect that."

Ronaldo spent nine seasons at Real Madrid after arriving from Manchester United in 2009, with Messi having spent his whole career at La Liga rivals Barcelona.

Asked if he missed Messi during an interview with Italian press, Ronaldo added: "No, maybe it's him who misses me.

"I've played in England, Spain, Italy, Portugal and for my national team, while he's still in Spain.

"Maybe he needs me more. For me, life is a challenge, I like it and I like to make people happy.

"He's a fantastic player and a good guy, but I don't miss anything here. This is my new life and I'm happy.

"I left my comfort zone and took on this challenge here in Turin. Everything has gone well, I've proven I'm still an incredible player."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46508289

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, José said:

:rofl: what's next, a proper Peruvian space agency? Messi won't leave his comfort zone and you know it

Messi will do what he wants to do because he's earned the right to decide.  He's already cemented his legacy and that's evident for everyone to see.

The only reason he has never left Barcelona is because he wants to be there, he feels he belongs there for obvious reasons and is satisfied with what he's offered to the football world by being there.  In other words, he has had the luxury of feeling like he belongs to a place where he's been able to compete and enjoy playing against all comers.  

11 minutes ago, José said:

:dam: hijito mío no seas wey, no me arruinés el día con esas pendejadas. 

But it's the truth hijito mio, and you also were spouting a lot of shit on the Libertadores thread so for that and the victory you deserve some stick. ;)

• Subscriber

Serie A has been shite in recent years and so predictable. It's about as competitive as the German and French League. Long way off what it once was and quite far behind the 2 best and most competitive league's. (Premier League and La Liga, of course).

2 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Serie A has been shite in recent years and so predictable. It's about as competitive as the German and French League. Long way off what it once was and quite far behind the 2 best and most competitive league's. (Premier League and La Liga, of course).

Here's hoping Dortmund change that 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Here's hoping Dortmund change that 

Yes! Would be very happy to see them win the League and interrupt the boring Bayern dominance.  And even more happy that a young English player is playing a key part in that.

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

Imagine being criticised because you are staying loyal to a club, that in no exaggeration, saved your life. Especially when clubs in your "home" country refused to pay treatment.  

Yeah. Messi is a fraud. 

Imagine being called GOAT because you've only played for one club, throughout your career, and that club literally revolves around you, so that you can set up a style of football that makes you shine. 

Yeah. Messi is a great. 

This reminds me of Graham Hunter talking about Ronaldo and Messi but in a nutshell Ronaldo needs Messi to compete but Messi doesn't need him.

Ronaldo will go down as one of the greats, has been a phenomenal athlete and footballer in multiple countries but there's no reason for Messi to leave Barce and Spain for a division of lesser quality like Serie A.

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

This reminds me of Graham Hunter talking about Ronaldo and Messi but in a nutshell Ronaldo needs Messi to compete but Messi doesn't need him.

I see the point that you are trying to make here. 

It's a bit like PSG needs more competition in the domestic league to be taken seriously, else people will keep writing them off for being in a easy league. 

But the same goes for Barca. If La Liga wasn't so competitive, neither Barca nor Real would be such iconic household names in places where the problems are far bigger than football. 

15 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Serie A was the only major European league to have a title race last season with Juventus eventually winning by for points.

The Bundesliga was won by 21 points, Ligue 1 by 13 points, the EPL by 19 and La Liga by 14 points.

They have also been far more competitive in Europe in recent seasons than their French and German counterparts.

4 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Serie A was the only major European league to have a title race last season with Juventus eventually winning by for points.

The Bundesliga was won by 21 points, Ligue 1 by 13 points, the EPL by 19 and La Liga by 14 points.

They have also been far more competitive in Europe in recent seasons than their French and German counterparts.

Indeed Serie 'A' was possibly the most competitive out of the five great European leagues last season when we observe the final points differences at the end of the campaign.  But going onto Devil's Advocate mode, I would say that the end result to the Italian league championship took an almighty effort breaking all records for Italian football and Napoli themselves in terms of points accumulated.  You could envisage Juventus repeating such a feat again considering their quality by comparison to their fellow competitors in Italy, but for Napoli to reproduce the same or better would be almost miraculous. In other words, the unbalance of power is massive in Italy.

15 hours ago, AMG said:

Imagine being called GOAT because you've only played for one club, throughout your career, and that club literally revolves around you, so that you can set up a style of football that makes you shine. 

Yeah. Messi is a great. 

The style now is absolutely nothing like it was under Pep though, or under Rijkaard, or under Enrique or under Martino. All completely different set ups with completely different players, so that doesn't make sense.

It would be easier for Messi to have fucked off to City a few years ago, rather than evolve and adapt his game.

I thought the argument was always that he needed Xavi, Iniesta and Alves? None are at the club now yet he's playing football on a completely different level right now to anyone else on the planet. To consistently perform for the same club and evolve as your team, managers and backroom staff constantly change around you isn't any easier than moving around. It's probably more difficult if anything. Moving to PSG, a club who win their league every season without fail, wouldn't be a more difficult challenge at all.

Archived