talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunderland Till I Die - Netflix

football forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I could sit through 8 episodes but i'm sure some of it will be interesting. Far more interesting in a relegation season rather than Man City's when they won every week.

They were probably contractually obliged to complete the filming, but you've got to think pulling the plug on this might have helped them on the footballing side of things and saved them even more embarrassment. All this in the week they've drawn Newcastle U21s in the Checkatrade.

They seem very inconsistent with their crowd reactions. Showing Sunderland scoring away to Norwich and then showing a crowd scene at the Stadium of Light. Seems to happen throughout the first two episodes. 

A small issue but it's bugged the hell out of me.

36 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

They seem very inconsistent with their crowd reactions. Showing Sunderland scoring away to Norwich and then showing a crowd scene at the Stadium of Light. Seems to happen throughout the first two episodes. 

A small issue but it's bugged the hell out of me.

On episode 6 Sunderland get relegated to League One by Burton Albion, but then it cuts to Steve Cram winning silver in the 1984 Olympics.

Disappointing. Incredibly patronising and dishonestly sentimental in its characterisation of people from Sunderland/North East, how many times do we need to be told that times aren't what they once were and the North East is some sort of impoverished dystopia? I assume it's aimed at Americans given the fact it keeps explaining very basic things a football fan should know.

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I thought it was a decent watch for this type of thing.

The thing that stood out most for me was how bad their goalkeepers were. Especially that Lee Camp. Christ, no wonder they got relegated.

Their defence was so shit, yet O'shea wins their POTS

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 02:12, Cannabis said:

Watched the first two episodes, absolutely class especially the second which surrounded deadline day. Not to post spoilers but the people at Sunderland don't hold back with their opinions, it's great. 

That actually sounds pretty entertaining.

Given up on episode 5, it's that bad. There's barely anything of insight at all, just pretentiously edited highlights of matches and slowdowns of fans screaming expletives, truncated by that smug bastard of a chief exec pondering on the dire financial situation Sunderland are in whilst driving about in his flash car. A metaphor for the plight of football at the moment.

13 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Given up on episode 5, it's that bad. There's barely anything of insight at all, just pretentiously edited highlights of matches and slowdowns of fans screaming expletives, truncated by that smug bastard of a chief exec pondering on the dire financial situation Sunderland are in whilst driving about in his flash car. A metaphor for the plight of football at the moment.

Yeah the chief exec comes across as a typical bluff merchant. Almost a Brent type figure.

I still think it was a decent watch though as far as these type of things go. 

First 10 mins in and they're trying to portray Sunderland as bigger club than they are  xD

Obviously big in support because they're a one club City in the middle of nowhere, but the opening montage portrayed them as a club who has just enjoyed a great 20 years in the Prem before their relegation.

Anyone else watched this? Came up on Netflix midway through the month. It's a doco similar to the shithouse Liverpool one from a few years ago, only it goes the whole season and isn't preachy and full of that twat Rodgers. It documents the season they are in the champo and are relegated.

As someone who loves watching the suffering of others, it's top class. xD They actually think they're going back up, then as their dire predicament sets in, the owner gives them no cash at all and the wheels fall off in spectacular fashion. I recommend it to anyone who hates north easterners or who is interested in the behind the scenes stuff. Highlights include Jack Rodwell claiming in an interview he wants to fight back into the England squad, but then refusing to terminate his contract, and laughing about not playing, Darren Gibson being a drunk twat, and their on loan striker leaving because of petty bullshit, then scoring against them and celebrating xD

It portrays the fans really badly. There are a lot of good people at that club but the makers hone in on the knuckle draggers too much. It's something that should be captured but that much? I can't see how anyone watching that would want to join Sunderland. A backfiring documentary.

Offcom should be having words with them over their incorrect placement of crowds, celebrations and atmospheres as well. It's a documentary not a hollywood movie. 

Ah it’s fucking fantastic, not because of cinematic excellence. It’s fantastic because it’s given me a new pastime of lurking on ready to go (Sunderland forum) and reading their reactions which is my  football forum highlight of the year. 

To sum up;

Martin Bain -

“fucking likes flash coffee the cunt”

“fucking likes flash watches the cunt”

”maybe we could have signed better players if he wasn’t buying expensive coffee” 

oh theres 130 odd pages 95% are normal people but the odd fruit has made my day. 

Oh and the fella that thinks because James Corden tweeted it was good they’re about to go “global” 😂🤣

Archived