talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunderland Till I Die - Netflix

football forum

Few episodes in.

I found it incredible how the marketing/sales staff were just so used to not doing anything,  that when the new owners demanded they start taking accountability, a few of them were not for it. One even getting sacked after the club exceeded projections she deemed not possible to begin with. 

Shows the absolute state of the club and it reflects on the staff and operations. By god they were a mess on the business end. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m about thirty seconds in and I find this Methven an utter pompous, red trousered bellend. It’s no wonder he’s gone now. 

Watched the first episode, and it kinda made me chuckle how one of his main worries was the entrance song. 

• Subscriber

I can't get over how much of a prick Josh Maja comes across as too. He was playing amazingly for Sunderland and deserved a move but ultimately money and a trust in his agent prevailed.

24 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I can't get over how much of a prick Josh Maja comes across as too. He was playing amazingly for Sunderland and deserved a move but ultimately money and a trust in his agent prevailed.

What was he earning at Sunderland in comparison to what Bordeaux was offering?

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Cicero said:

What was he earning at Sunderland in comparison to what Bordeaux was offering?

£1,000 a week at Sunderland due to him being an Academy player with no clause in his contract for an extension for X amount of first team appearances. He's on £57,000 a week at Bordeaux so you can see why he took it but Sunderland had offered him new deals before Bordeaux came along but ultimately his agent knew he could get him a 'big money' deal so Maja wasn't bothered about staying in the North East and repaying the faith that was shown in him by Sunderland.

12 hours ago, Pyfish said:

£1,000 a week at Sunderland due to him being an Academy player with no clause in his contract for an extension for X amount of first team appearances. He's on £57,000 a week at Bordeaux so you can see why he took it but Sunderland had offered him new deals before Bordeaux came along but ultimately his agent knew he could get him a 'big money' deal so Maja wasn't bothered about staying in the North East and repaying the faith that was shown in him by Sunderland.

Faith is all well and good but it’s not going to make you a millionaire before you’re 21 and give you the opportunity to learn a new language and live in a foreign country. 

To be fair to the Elite Project Group, moving young English players overseas has on the whole benefitted the development of our players. Look at Jadon Sancho whose with them.

Josh Maja had several Premier League clubs interested him. We were late to the party and West Ham were watching him regularly. I do believe in Bordeaux they picked a club who they believed would be best for his development.

13 hours ago, Pyfish said:

£57k a month perhaps.

Watched the second season. Not better than the first, where they had more people participating in it.

It felt like Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven show. And while Donald is somewhat likeable (seems like he really cares about the club), they made Methven look like a character from The Office. And all they had to do was add 5 seconds pauses after everytime he spoke. I bet he is fuming when he watches the show.

On a side note, when the female fan says, Why can't we win for once or something like that after the playoff final, man that almost got me.

PS: Just checked the table of League One, and man things don't look good for them.

Also, I wont be surprised if our good friend @Rick fancies Donald's wife :D. The reason I say this is because I remember he once said in the old hot babes thread once while posting  slightly manly babes from UFC, that he likes them like that :D

16 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Watched the second season. Not better than the first, where they had more people participating in it.

It felt like Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven show. And while Donald is somewhat likeable (seems like he really cares about the club), they made Methven look like a character from The Office. And all they had to do was add 5 seconds pauses after everytime he spoke. I bet he is fuming when he watches the show.

On a side note, when the female fan says, Why can't we win for once or something like that after the playoff final, man that almost got me.

PS: Just checked the table of League One, and man things don't look good for them.

Also, I wont be surprised if our good friend @Rick fancies Donald's wife :D. The reason I say this is because I remember he once said in the old hot babes thread once while posting  slightly manly babes from UFC, that he likes them like that :D

😂😂😂

Gina Carino is a babe, and always will be. 

• Subscriber

I finished it yesterday. Thank fuck Methven is gone. He definitely brought it on himself. Sunderland are in a dire situation where they have the people to do the job on the pitch but there is a dark financial cloud looming over where they NEED to get promoted to be financially viable. Donald is staying true to his promise of selling the club when he's "outstayed his welcome" and I admire him for that. I quite like Donald and hoped he would stay as he's done a lot more for the club than Ellis Short did. 

Methven is the biggest weapon I’ve ever seen, he’s clearly blagged and bullshitted his way into high positions with buzzwords and bullshit. 

Stewart Donald, bearing in mind I’m on episode two, seems like an honest bloke with his heart in the right place. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Threatening people’s jobs as a way of motivation. Fuck me, this bloke has to be a parody. 

That's pretty normal given it was the sales department. 

Sales is a nightmare and I refuse to believe there are people that enjoy 'selling' unless they absolutely have to. Quotas give me anxiety. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

That's pretty normal given it was the sales department. 

Sales is a nightmare and I refuse to believe there are people that enjoy 'selling' unless they absolutely have to. Quotas give me anxiety. 

It was marketing comms, which is a branch of sales but not a proper sales role.  I work and I’ve worked in sales for about 3-4 years now and no self respecting manager in this industry works the way Methven worked. He was a walking parody, right down to the bright red socks. 

Archived