• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Sunderland Till I Die - Netflix

Recommended Posts

To be fair to the Elite Project Group, moving young English players overseas has on the whole benefitted the development of our players. Look at Jadon Sancho whose with them.

Josh Maja had several Premier League clubs interested him. We were late to the party and West Ham were watching him regularly. I do believe in Bordeaux they picked a club who they believed would be best for his development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pyfish said:

£1,000 a week at Sunderland due to him being an Academy player with no clause in his contract for an extension for X amount of first team appearances. He's on £57,000 a week at Bordeaux so you can see why he took it but Sunderland had offered him new deals before Bordeaux came along but ultimately his agent knew he could get him a 'big money' deal so Maja wasn't bothered about staying in the North East and repaying the faith that was shown in him by Sunderland.

£57k a month perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2020 at 03:08, Devil-Dick Willie said:

hahahahaha love this car crash. Almost as good as season 1 hahahahahahahaha

Not a fan of Sunderland then? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Watched the second season. Not better than the first, where they had more people participating in it.

It felt like Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven show. And while Donald is somewhat likeable (seems like he really cares about the club), they made Methven look like a character from The Office. And all they had to do was add 5 seconds pauses after everytime he spoke. I bet he is fuming when he watches the show.

On a side note, when the female fan says, Why can't we win for once or something like that after the playoff final, man that almost got me.

PS: Just checked the table of League One, and man things don't look good for them.

 

Also, I wont be surprised if our good friend @Rick fancies Donald's wife :D. The reason I say this is because I remember he once said in the old hot babes thread once while posting  slightly manly babes from UFC, that he likes them like that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished the 2nd season yesterday. Not as good as the first one, and I agree with everything @IgnisExcubitor said. But I think Charlie Methven only has himself to blame to be honest. Very strange character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Watched the second season. Not better than the first, where they had more people participating in it.

It felt like Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven show. And while Donald is somewhat likeable (seems like he really cares about the club), they made Methven look like a character from The Office. And all they had to do was add 5 seconds pauses after everytime he spoke. I bet he is fuming when he watches the show.

On a side note, when the female fan says, Why can't we win for once or something like that after the playoff final, man that almost got me.

PS: Just checked the table of League One, and man things don't look good for them.

 

Also, I wont be surprised if our good friend @Rick fancies Donald's wife :D. The reason I say this is because I remember he once said in the old hot babes thread once while posting  slightly manly babes from UFC, that he likes them like that :D

😂😂😂

Gina Carino is a babe, and always will be. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rick said:

Gina Carino is a babe, and always will be. 

Fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a bit of an eye opener this has... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished it yesterday. Thank fuck Methven is gone. He definitely brought it on himself. Sunderland are in a dire situation where they have the people to do the job on the pitch but there is a dark financial cloud looming over where they NEED to get promoted to be financially viable. Donald is staying true to his promise of selling the club when he's "outstayed his welcome" and I admire him for that. I quite like Donald and hoped he would stay as he's done a lot more for the club than Ellis Short did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Methven is the biggest weapon I’ve ever seen, he’s clearly blagged and bullshitted his way into high positions with buzzwords and bullshit. 

Stewart Donald, bearing in mind I’m on episode two, seems like an honest bloke with his heart in the right place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Threatening people’s jobs as a way of motivation. Fuck me, this bloke has to be a parody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Threatening people’s jobs as a way of motivation. Fuck me, this bloke has to be a parody. 

That's pretty normal given it was the sales department. 

Sales is a nightmare and I refuse to believe there are people that enjoy 'selling' unless they absolutely have to. Quotas give me anxiety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

That's pretty normal given it was the sales department. 

Sales is a nightmare and I refuse to believe there are people that enjoy 'selling' unless they absolutely have to. Quotas give me anxiety. 

It was marketing comms, which is a branch of sales but not a proper sales role.  I work and I’ve worked in sales for about 3-4 years now and no self respecting manager in this industry works the way Methven worked. He was a walking parody, right down to the bright red socks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It was marketing comms, which is a branch of sales but not a proper sales role.  I work and I’ve worked in sales for about 3-4 years now and no self respecting manager in this industry works the way Methven worked. He was a walking parody, right down to the bright red socks. 

He’s no different than many executives in a sales/marketing operation. I know plenty of industries that threaten their staff to make their sales quotas or else their gone. Car salesmen, inside sales representatives, insurance reps, etc.  They set goals for them vs the staff taking accountability and setting their own. It’s a form of management that I completely disagree with, but not uncommon. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 27/04/2020 at 00:03, Cicero said:

He’s no different than many executives in a sales/marketing operation. I know plenty of industries that threaten their staff to make their sales quotas or else their gone. Car salesmen, inside sales representatives, insurance reps, etc.  They set goals for them vs the staff taking accountability and setting their own. It’s a form of management that I completely disagree with, but not uncommon. 

 

Yep. Sales department is the worst. You have to meet the targets, or face absolute vitriol from your bosses. 

@topic

I watched All or Nothing and was absolutely bored. Apart from the second last epsiode, every other episode was a bore. 

Of all the sport documentaries of this kind that I have watched (Mumbai IPL, Australia's The Test and Sunderland 'Til I die), Manchester City's was the worst.

Kinda tells you that unless it's a fairy tale (which Australia's The Test was to an extent), series with teams that see only success is just boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As this series goes on and the pressure of the business end of the season comes to fruition, you can see the real business plan of Methven and Donald which was throwing money at it and hoping for promotion, which is no way to run a football club. This Checkatrade Trophy Final episode shows that and I’m sure it will be the case as this goes deeper into the season.

They’re both a pair of blaggers, who’ve seen, what they thought was an opportunity, to get promotion and flip the club as if it was a piece of real estate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched this last week. There's one part of it that I found ridiculous and couldn't get my head around - why did they sell Josh Maja? Yes the agent was in his ear, but surely they could've held out until the summer and lost him on a free, considering they got a pittance for him and then went and blew £3.5mil or whatever it was on an ageing Will Grigg anyway. I just don't see what the idea there was - if it's to make a bit of money on Maja while they can then they totally blew it by panicking and signing Grigg so it was basically completely pointless anyway.

Maja played 7 times for Bordeaux that season. Would they not have accepted the summer move while he gets more game time?

Just a bizarre set of circumstances to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dan said:

Watched this last week. There's one part of it that I found ridiculous and couldn't get my head around - why did they sell Josh Maja? Yes the agent was in his ear, but surely they could've held out until the summer and lost him on a free, considering they got a pittance for him and then went and blew £3.5mil or whatever it was on an ageing Will Grigg anyway. I just don't see what the idea there was - if it's to make a bit of money on Maja while they can then they totally blew it by panicking and signing Grigg so it was basically completely pointless anyway.

Maja played 7 times for Bordeaux that season. Would they not have accepted the summer move while he gets more game time?

Just a bizarre set of circumstances to me.

Suppose that originally it was either let him go for nothing or cash in and spend the million or so on Will Grigg, however, Donald then panicked last minute, despite being told not to by Coton and Ross, and paid over the odds for Grigg. 

In hindsight, I bet they would have risked Maja leaving for nothing if they could do it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Suppose that originally it was either let him go for nothing or cash in and spend the million or so on Will Grigg, however, Donald then panicked last minute, despite being told not to by Coton and Ross, and paid over the odds for Grigg. 

In hindsight, I bet they would have risked Maja leaving for nothing if they could do it again. 

To me I think the big flaw is how little they had lined up to replace Maja. Surely you try and sort the Grigg thing before Maja goes so you aren't having to scramble around at the last minute? It was hardly a shock that he left was it?

What they made there was an absolutely classic transfer window howler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement