talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Champions League - Round of 16 Draw

• Administrator

Some groups now fully determined on who qualifies 1st or 2nd.

Knockout draw takes place on Monday 17th December, 11am.

Seeded:
Borussia Dortmund
Barcelona
PSG
Porto
Bayern Munich
Man City
Real Madrid
Juventus

Unseeded
Atletico Madrid
Tottenham
Liverpool
Schalke
Ajax
Lyon
Roma
Man Utd

Ties to take place on 12/13th Feb & 19/20th February, 2019

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

My predictions:

Schalke vs Juventus
Ajax vs Man City
Liverpool vs Borussia Dortmund
Atletico vs Bayern
Tottenham vs Real Madrid
Lyon vs PSG
Roma vs Porto
Man Utd vs Barcelona

• Subscriber

It will be....

Borussia Dortmund v Ajax

Barcelona v Lyon

PSG v Tottenham

Porto v Manchester United

Bayern Munich v Roma

Manchester City v Schalke

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Juventus v Atletico Madrid

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

It will be....

Borussia Dortmund v Ajax

Barcelona v Lyon

PSG v Tottenham

Porto v Manchester United

Bayern Munich v Roma

Manchester City v Schalke

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Juventus v Atletico Madrid

Unseeded have to play seeded. The latter will play away first. 

So quite a few of those ties won't work. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Azeem said:

Dortmund vs Lyon

Porto vs United

City vs Roma

Juve vs Ajax

PSG vs Schalke 

Barca vs Spurs

Munich vs Liverpool

Barca vs Spurs won't happen as they played in the group stage. 

Shame to see Atletico and Real are already out too :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

After looking at that list I'd really fancy a Bayern meeting too. They are in terrible shape right now so we could potentially have a good game there.

In before Stan, two teams of the same home kit color can't play at this stage :ph34r:

• Administrator

Full draw:

Schalke v Man City
Atletico Madrid v Juventus
Man Utd v PSG
Tottenham v Borussia Dortmund
Lyon v Barcelona
Roma v Porto
Ajax v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Bayern Munich

This is the point in time where my interest in the UCL really peaks. I forgot how boring and one sided the groups were. Some proper cracking ties in there, and few repeats for a change.

Schalke 04 v Manchester City
On the face of it, this looks like an easy draw for Man City and more so with the return leg being at The Etihad where if an error were to occur, you'd feel that it could be fixed with all due respects to Schalke fans.

Atlético Madrid v Juventus

This is the clash of the round in my opinion.  Atleti have by no means been firing on all cylinders this season, but they have got one of the best squads on the continent with a multitude of variations to choose from so as to mix it up.  Without wanting to hit Diego Simeone with a hard stick, he has no excuses this year where the quality of his squad is concerned and needs to prove he can at least go right to the end in all of this season's main competitions.

Manchester United v Paris Saint-Germain

I dislike Jose Mourinho, but I despise PSG which means I hope and wish for United to really do one over on the Parisian football club.  On paper it should be a competitive clash, but where football is concerned United have absolutely no chance whatsoever in this tie for me.

Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund

For me this is a tough call.  BvB are having a very good season and have witnessed a rebirth, while nobody can discount Spurs from being able to compete due to the players and coach they have.  As things stand right now, I couldn't really predict this one at all and even more so with the return leg being in Dortmund,

Olympique Lyonnais v FC Barcelona

On paper this doesn't look like the most difficult tie Barça could've been drawn, but as was seen last season when they drew Roma in the quarter-finals and even managed a 4-1 Camp Nou victory, complacency is this particular Barcelona's biggest affliction as has even been seen this season in La Liga.  Barça are really hungry to perform in this season's Champions League and I expect progression to be comfortable although I wouldn't be surprised if the Spanish club were made to suffer against a very decent Lyon side.

AS Roma v FC Porto

AS Roma had a brilliant Champions League campaign last season where they even knocked out one of the tournament favourites in the shape of Barcelona.  They are progressing again and even though Porto have looked really balanced this season, I would have Roma as slight favourites in this one.  But then again FC Porto have one of Europe's best home records historically and the fact the return leg is at the Estádio do Dragão, I wouldn't be surprised at all with Porto going through. It's a tough one to call.

Ajax v Real Madrid CF

Ajax are rejuvenated as has been witnessed over the past 3 years with great progression.  Plus they have those two players in the shape of De Ligt and De Jong that with everything else in that side I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminate Real Madrid in this tie.  Infact as things stand right now, Ajax are the superior side on all fronts... If the game were to be played today Ajax would be the overwhelming favourites.

Liverpool v Bayern Munich

The names of both clubs spells CLASSIC in capitals.  Both with legendary historical significance in Europe's biggest club competition, but nobody can deny that Bayern don't exactly exude confidence these days while Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool offer the total opposite in terms of sensations.  There is no doubt that as things stand right now Liverpool seem to be big favourites but weight of history and club statuses dictates that this is no foregone conclusion and the fact the return leg is at the Allianz Arena for me says that we could actually have a classic encounter on our hands.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Blue said:

This is the point in time where my interest in the UCL really peaks. I forgot how boring and one sided the groups were. Some proper cracking ties in there, and few repeats for a change.

Thought some groups were quite exciting and/or less one-sided as expected.

Liverpool/Napoli/PSG in their group. Ajax/Bayern battling it out on the final day for top spot. Tottenham and Inter battling it for qualification. Dortmund and Atletico finishing equal in their group. Real made it more difficult than expected in their group given they lost to CSKA twice.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived