• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Champions League - Round of 16 Draw

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
43 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Pleased with that. A team we've not played for ages and they're not exactly hitting the levels they were a couple of years ago. Things could change come February of course but you have to fancy us in this tie

Time for Joe to come back as well and give him a run of games before we get back into European competition. I am actually quite pleased with the draw as I don't think Bayern are pushovers and if we can build enough momentum before then we're going to have a great game of football for both legs on our hands.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thought some groups were quite exciting and/or less one-sided as expected.

Liverpool/Napoli/PSG in their group. Ajax/Bayern battling it out on the final day for top spot. Tottenham and Inter battling it for qualification. Dortmund and Atletico finishing equal in their group. Real made it more difficult than expected in their group given they lost to CSKA twice.

In terms of drama it wasn't all bad. However in talking more what happened in the pitch. I remember watching Red Star vs Napoli and the latter had so much dominance that it wasn't even fun to watch. I know it ended 0-0 but usually with these smaller teams the gap is so big that they just make it dull in order to try and get points.

Its ironic actually. In most of my favourite tournaments the groups are my favourite part. In the UCL, which I like it is my least favourite.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Pencil in the day after the second leg for Mourinhos sacking. Becomes officially much cheaper to fuck him off.

Yep, seems pretty obvious. 

If Jose beats them, they will sign him one hundred percent. 

If Jose loses, he gets fired. 

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Pleased with that. A team we've not played for ages and they're not exactly hitting the levels they were a couple of years ago. Things could change come February of course but you have to fancy us in this tie

Plus Klopp hates them

Atletico Madrid v Juventus should give Juventus more trouble than what they wished for at this stage of the competition.

Tottenham v Borussia Dortmund and Roma v Porto should be the closest, most interesting matches to follow.

As said above, it's a couple of months to the kick offs and anything can happen with such talented sides but Bayern and Man United wouldn't have much of a chance if the games were played today imo.

GettyImages-1071841650.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429

Thomas Tuchel has played up suggestions that his PSG side are the clear favourite against Manchester United when they meet in the last 16 of the Champions League. The draw for the knockout stages took place in Nyon on Monday and the Red Devils – who are enduring a difficult season, 11 points adrift of the top four – will have to find a way to stop the top scorers from the group stage. But Tuchel is adamant that United’s know-how – and the recent experiences of their manager – makes them easy meat.

‘It’s not going to be that difficult to play Manchester United,’ said Tuchel. ‘They have lots of experience in this competition but that was under Ferguson, they’ve won it numerous times but under a good Manager It used to be difficult to play at Old Trafford but not so much these days it’s always a big challenge for the opposition to try and hold our attacking players. 

‘It’s a big challenge for them, but if I were a spectator I would watch this game on TV.’ The German also boasted about suggestions his side were the clear favourite, continuing: ‘Favourite? I think so, because we are playing a side that lacks fluency and inventiveness, they are flat like a used battery.

‘We normally respect the clubs that have have had this experience and Manchester United used to be one of them. ‘It’s the same thing with Mourinho. He has lots of experience in this competition but his tactics have been found out, we don't anticipate getting past them will be hard. and although you must try and have respect we did all have a chuckle when the draw was made

We are confident in ourselves and I am convinced that we can win.’

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

GettyImages-1071841650.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429

Thomas Tuchel has played up suggestions that his PSG side are the clear favourite against Manchester United when they meet in the last 16 of the Champions League. The draw for the knockout stages took place in Nyon on Monday and the Red Devils – who are enduring a difficult season, 11 points adrift of the top four – will have to find a way to stop the top scorers from the group stage. But Tuchel is adamant that United’s know-how – and the recent experiences of their manager – makes them easy meat.

‘It’s not going to be that difficult to play Manchester United,’ said Tuchel. ‘They have lots of experience in this competition but that was under Ferguson, they’ve won it numerous times but under a good Manager It used to be difficult to play at Old Trafford but not so much these days it’s always a big challenge for the opposition to try and hold our attacking players. 

‘It’s a big challenge for them, but if I were a spectator I would watch this game on TV.’ The German also boasted about suggestions his side were the clear favourite, continuing: ‘Favourite? I think so, because we are playing a side that lacks fluency and inventiveness, they are flat like a used battery.

‘We normally respect the clubs that have have had this experience and Manchester United used to be one of them. ‘It’s the same thing with Mourinho. He has lots of experience in this competition but his tactics have been found out, we don't anticipate getting past them will be hard. and although you must try and have respect we did all have a chuckle when the draw was made

Tuchel has already been infected by Parisian culture and that club's uber-ego.  What total nonsense!  I really hope United put 10 past them.  Micky Mouse club.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Tuchel has already been infected by Parisian culture and that club's uber-ego.  What total nonsense!  I really hope United put 10 past them.  Micky Mouse club.

What's he said that's untrue through?

1 minute ago, Stan said:

What's he said that's untrue through?

He hasn't said anything that's true.  The truth lies in facts!  He has stated opinion, an opinion shared by many for sure, but it's still an opinion seeing as the facts lie in the shape of two results in two legs.

It's arrogance and disrespectful.  That's also factual.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He hasn't said anything that's true.  The truth lies in facts!  He has stated opinion, an opinion shared by many for sure, but it's still an opinion seeing as the facts lie in the shape of two results in two legs.

It's arrogance and disrespectful.  That's also factual.

Incorrect, in my opinion.

It used to be difficult to play at Old Trafford but not so much these days it’s always a big challenge for the opposition to try and hold our attacking players. 

It's been mentioned several times this season (and perhaps last) that Old Trafford is not the place it used to be. Teams literally feared going there for getting outplayed or getting some kind of pasting. That's changed. Teams are willing to attack Utd now and penetrate their frailties. 

‘Favourite? I think so, because we are playing a side that lacks fluency and inventiveness, they are flat like a used battery.

PSG are definitely favourites here. They have a better squad and as Tuchel alluded to, much higher confidence and just all-round ability. Look at how Utd got dominated yesterday; that'll be the same for when they play PSG away, no doubt. Man Utd definitely lack fluency and inventiveness - they're dull, boring to watch and have no rhythm or fluidity to their play. If they do, it's only glimpses of it in a match. They've very rarely been consistent this season. On only two occasions they've won back-to-back games in the league (That's factual, too). The longest run they went on in the league where they were unbeaten was 4 games (recently, where they drew 3 and won 1). That's almost unheard of for a United side.

‘It’s the same thing with Mourinho. He has lots of experience in this competition but his tactics have been found out

Not sure what's hard to disagree about this bit, either. Mourinho finds it difficult these days to get past sides who he/Utd used to stroll past sometimes especially when Fergie was manager. With Fergie, he was very adaptive and would be able to manage his players and get them to buy in to his tactics. Mourinho struggles really badly with that and that's another reason for their lack of fluency and consistency. 

What I will grant you is the arrogance in the following quotes:

we don't anticipate getting past them will be hard. and although you must try and have respect we did all have a chuckle when the draw was made

That's confidence bordering on arrogance or perhaps going past that border, so to speak. They would still need to respect Utd if Mourinho is still manager then but at the same time, you have to admit PSG would be favourites. There's nothing wrong with having confidence in themselves as I'm sure most top teams would have that level of confidence, but the 'chuckle when the draw was made' and not anticipating a hard game(s) is maybe a bit over-the-top from Tuchel. I hope for his sake that his words don't come back to bite him. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Incorrect, in my opinion.

It used to be difficult to play at Old Trafford but not so much these days it’s always a big challenge for the opposition to try and hold our attacking players. 

It's been mentioned several times this season (and perhaps last) that Old Trafford is not the place it used to be. Teams literally feared going there for getting outplayed or getting some kind of pasting. That's changed. Teams are willing to attack Utd now and penetrate their frailties. 

‘Favourite? I think so, because we are playing a side that lacks fluency and inventiveness, they are flat like a used battery.

PSG are definitely favourites here. They have a better squad and as Tuchel alluded to, much higher confidence and just all-round ability. Look at how Utd got dominated yesterday; that'll be the same for when they play PSG away, no doubt. Man Utd definitely lack fluency and inventiveness - they're dull, boring to watch and have no rhythm or fluidity to their play. If they do, it's only glimpses of it in a match. They've very rarely been consistent this season. On only two occasions they've won back-to-back games in the league (That's factual, too). The longest run they went on in the league where they were unbeaten was 4 games (recently, where they drew 3 and won 1). That's almost unheard of for a United side.

‘It’s the same thing with Mourinho. He has lots of experience in this competition but his tactics have been found out

Not sure what's hard to disagree about this bit, either. Mourinho finds it difficult these days to get past sides who he/Utd used to stroll past sometimes especially when Fergie was manager. With Fergie, he was very adaptive and would be able to manage his players and get them to buy in to his tactics. Mourinho struggles really badly with that and that's another reason for their lack of fluency and consistency. 

What I will grant you is the arrogance in the following quotes:

we don't anticipate getting past them will be hard. and although you must try and have respect we did all have a chuckle when the draw was made

That's confidence bordering on arrogance or perhaps going past that border, so to speak. They would still need to respect Utd if Mourinho is still manager then but at the same time, you have to admit PSG would be favourites. There's nothing wrong with having confidence in themselves as I'm sure most top teams would have that level of confidence, but the 'chuckle when the draw was made' and not anticipating a hard game(s) is maybe a bit over-the-top from Tuchel. I hope for his sake that his words don't come back to bite him. 

The fact you say it's bordering (for you it's just bordering) on arrogance proves that there is substantial evidence for this fact.  Of course Man Utd aren't what they should be especially at Old Trafford, but to say what he said is total arrogance and based on a sensation.  He still has to play the game and win it!  Last season AS Roma knocked Barcelona out of this very competition when they'd lost the first leg 4-1 at the Camp Nou.  Nothing whatsoever can take away from the fact that this is a possibility even in this tie, any tie which makes that comment disrespectful and very arrogant.

I mean... Ernesto Valverde this morning said that Barça's draw against Lyon is a difficult one and one that can trick people into thinking it's a forgone conclusion.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lyon are quality. Technically brilliant in every position. There is a reason they did so well against City. 

Indeed, they are very good and I don't see why on social media you're getting so much argument based on Barça having been handed an easy tie.  I don't see the ease at all in this clash.

The only thing is the fact the return leg is at the Camp Nou where traditionally Barcelona have been able to turn dead ties into something to hope for.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The fact you say it's bordering (for you it's just bordering) on arrogance proves that there is substantial evidence for this fact.  Of course Man Utd aren't what they should be especially at Old Trafford, but to say what he said is total arrogance and based on a sensation.  He still has to play the game and win it!  Last season AS Roma knocked Barcelona out of this very competition when they'd lost the first leg 4-1 at the Camp Nou.  Nothing whatsoever can take away from the fact that this is a possibility even in this tie, any tie which makes that comment disrespectful and very arrogant.

I mean... Ernesto Valverde this morning said that Barça's draw against Lyon is a difficult one and one that can trick people into thinking it's a forgone conclusion.

I fully agree with this, of course.

But would you agree PSG are bigger favourites than Man Utd to win the tie, given the fact Utd are pretty dire these days?

Take away the Tuchel comments or the arrogance of them, would you agree PSG are likely to go through?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

When are these ties to be played? Scenes if Pogba moves to Paris, makes his debut and dabs in Jose's face when he scores a 30 yard bullet.

On 11/12/2018 at 22:07, Stan said:

Ties to take place on 12/13th Feb & 19/20th February, 2019

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I fully agree with this, of course.

But would you agree PSG are bigger favourites than Man Utd to win the tie, given the fact Utd are pretty dire these days?

Take away the Tuchel comments or the arrogance of them, would you agree PSG are likely to go through?

Of course they're favourites mate and we all know this. I would see Burnley as having a chance at a result against this present Man Utd as things stand and that's what makes Tuchel's comment unnecessary in my opinion and just open for criticism.

Tell me this... No matter who Leicester a City are due to play against in whatever competition, would you be happy with the head coach of your club coming out with a comment like that?

I know I wouldn't.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Of course they're favourites mate and we all know this. I would see Burnley as having a chance at a result against this present Man Utd as things stand and that's what makes Tuchel's comment unnecessary in my opinion and just open for criticism.

Tell me this... No matter who Leicester a City are due to play against in whatever competition, would you be happy with the head coach of your club coming out with a comment like that?

I know I wouldn't.

Yeah it's unnecessary with the part that I pointed out where to me he's arrogant. The rest of it is all true though and there's nothing arrogant about pointing out an opponent's weaknesses. Naive because of the ramifications it could have should they lose, perhaps.

I personally wouldn't be happy if a coach/manager of Leicester said it. But that's not to negate what Tuchel sees.

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

If theres anything to raise our game this would be it. If not it will be fun to watch a proper contender give us a thrashing, its been a minute. Plus I always enjoy some Kloppo power fisting.

I think you'll will be very different come February. This patch you're going through can't last forever but having said that we are going to be very different come February as well. The biggest issue that I see in all this which will help us is the fact that our players won't be going on runs in other cups for their countries and having two of our better performers in Keita and Mane not going to those comps is a big boost. Keeping a fit squad that can compete is Europe is always a dodgy concern and add to that Joe Gomez is back from injury in mid-late Jan with time for a game run to partner VVD in defense as well. 

I would have preferred a return-leg at Anfield because it brings out the best in us no matter who the opposition is but these are the cards that have been dealt.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived