• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Greatest tactics in football

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Ah, the inevitability engine that is Arjen Robben. He is a bit of a genius. However, the classic Barcelona 'pass it till they fall asleep from boredom and score' is hard to beat

Robben has to be one of my favourite players of all time. The cunt is a wind up merchant to the extreme. Yeah, the Barca thing could be a bit much at times but sometimes it provided something incredible like that time they raped Real Madrid 6-2 or whatever.

32 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Never understood how Barca got a reputation for being boring. People obviously haven't seen enough properly boring football like the last Euros.

During their recent heyday, they prioritised possession for the sake of it, with attacking seemingly being an afterthought. It may require more skill, but 'tiki taka' was just as defensive, boring, and cowardly as the anti-football styles employed by the likes of Mourinho and Pulis.

The greatest tactics for the neutral viewer and the football enamoured I've ever seen in my view have both occurred in England.

Ossie Ardiles' Spurs and Kevin Keegan's Newcastle Utd. I would avidly watch their games simply because they were brilliant and based on unadulterated attack. 

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The greatest tactics for the neutral viewer and the football enamoured I've ever seen in my view have both occurred in England.

Ossie Ardiles' Spurs and Kevin Keegan's Newcastle Utd. I would avidly watch their games simply because they were brilliant and based on unadulterated attack. 

You can't dismiss that late 90s and early 00s Man Utd and Arsenal. Talk about bravado, aggression, and flair. Nothing like going on Youtube to watch Viera annihilate a midfield, pass a screamer up to Henry and watch him bury it with his left foot. Now that high-pace balls-to-the-walls is what I love in football.

From a purely tactical standpoint, Tiki-Taka was the an amazing creation of patience and technicality. Was it fun to watch? Not really, aside from a few highlights it was too deliberate and slow to create any sort of excitement. Though the most fun football usually isn't the most tactically sound xD

1 hour ago, Spike said:

You can't dismiss that late 90s and early 00s Man Utd and Arsenal. Talk about bravado, aggression, and flair. Nothing like going on Youtube to watch Viera annihilate a midfield, pass a screamer up to Henry and watch him bury it with his left foot. Now that high-pace balls-to-the-walls is what I love in football.

From a purely tactical standpoint, Tiki-Taka was the an amazing creation of patience and technicality. Was it fun to watch? Not really, aside from a few highlights it was too deliberate and slow to create any sort of excitement. Though the most fun football usually isn't the most tactically sound xD

Barcelona's initial Guardiola era I don't count as anything tactical...  It wasn't based on any formation or any particular tactical awareness.  I know it sounds overused and probably almost boring.  That was and is a philosophy or a belief if you like.  Those players were on the most part La Masia products and brought up on that from youth levels and it's simply a way of playing the game that took the world by storm.  It took sides a while to get used to it or maybe those that were applying it got older and faded away as a generation.  In saying this, I'm not taking Guardiola out of the equation because it would be easy to do so with what I've just said due to the fact he inherited a failing side, sold two big name players and supplied what you have referred to.  He took Barcelona back to Cruyff basics with an adjustment toward the modern era.

The two teams I mentioned coached by Osvaldo Ardiles and Kevin Keegan were based on formations and on a tactical plan...  It didn't succeed (even less so Ardiles) but for me as a tactic it was the most entertaining football I have ever seen at club level.  Much more so than Arsenal's because that was more balanced and based on part belief as is Barcelona's although not natural like the Blaugrana team.

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Barcelona's initial Guardiola era I don't count as anything tactical...  It wasn't based on any formation or any particular tactical awareness.  I know it sounds overused and probably almost boring.  That was and is a philosophy or a belief if you like.  Those players were on the most part La Masia products and brought up on that from youth levels and it's simply a way of playing the game that took the world by storm.  It took sides a while to get used to it or maybe those that were applying it got older and faded away as a generation.  In saying this, I'm not taking Guardiola out of the equation because it would be easy to do so with what I've just said due to the fact he inherited a failing side, sold two big name players and supplied what you have referred to.  He took Barcelona back to Cruyff basics with an adjustment toward the modern era.

The two teams I mentioned coached by Osvaldo Ardiles and Kevin Keegan were based on formations and on a tactical plan...  It didn't succeed (even less so Ardiles) but for me as a tactic it was the most entertaining football I have ever seen at club level.  Much more so than Arsenal's because that was more balanced and based on part belief as is Barcelona's although not natural like the Blaugrana team.

But the philosophy that was created is a tactic within itself. That is the very nature of a 'tactic', from la masia up to the first team a specific ideal is implanted in the trainees and that is the tactic. It isn't a mistkae that Barcelona cultivates a specific talents.

• Subscriber
On 4/13/2017 at 8:22 PM, SirBalon said:

How would you compare Monaco to that? Every time I catch a bit of Monaco the game is brilliant and they play some lovely football.

Seeing Atletico Madrid in action as well made me appreciate how well organised they are as well. I've never felt less like we'll score.

Archived