The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2019

football forum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The Final is a one-off I believe, it’s due to be held in Santiago, Chile, not Santiago Bernabeu this time. 

Yeah I know, just being pedantic. 

Glad it's a one-off. Two-legged finals I've never been a fan of regardless of competition.

As long as it's in a good stadium which is reputable for great atmospheres. 

The 4 Peruvian sides are Sporting Cristal, Real Garcilaso, Alianza Lima and Melgar.

If one Peruvian makes it past their round, whether its first preliminary or group stages, then it's a success. We've been so shit the past few years that we'll take what we can get. Having watched these 4 the majority of the year though a lot of reinforcements are needed. The latter 3 are not good enough, and Cristal while good aren't quite up to par yet, especially with the rumours of Mario Salas and Emanuel Herrera leaving.

The surprise of the competition will be a Bolivian again I reckon. They are so tactically disciplined and know how to use the altitude to their advantage, unlike a few of our clubs.

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

The Final is a one-off I believe, it’s due to be held in Santiago, Chile, not Santiago Bernabeu this time. 

The Copa Sudamericana which is the Europa League equivalent is held in Lima, which for me is a terrible decision. Not only are lots of people fickle here and the stadium isn't a guaranteed sell out (especially if the 2 teams aren't exactly big) but the police have done a terrible job in the Peruvian league this season, labelling games involving teams with no fans as "high risk" and restricting areas of it. They have been very paranoid and there is no point of having it played here.

Chile on the other hand is one of the most developed countries in South America. History aside, a lot of people hate Chile in South America for many reasons (and good ones I might add) but one of them is that we are envious because everything works in their country. They have good education, good security and the power and water doesn't go out every 15 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

The competing teams in the 2019 Copa Libertadores has been finalised now. 

Argentina: River Plate, Boca Juniors, Godoy Cruz, Rosario Central, San Lorenzo, Huracan, Talleres. 

Bolivia: Jorge Wilstermann, San Josè, The Strongest, Bolívar. 

Brazil: Athletico Paranaense, Palmeiras, Cruzeiro, Flamengo, Internacional, Grêmio, São Paulo, Atlético Mineiro. 

Chile: Universidad Catolica, Universidad De Concepción, Universidad de Chile, Palestino. 

Colombia: Deportes Tolima, Junior, Independiente Medellín, Atlético Nacional. 

Ecuador: LDU Quito, Emelec, Barcelona, Delfin.

Paraguay: Olimpio, Cerro Porteño, Libertad, Nacional.

Peru: Sporting Cristal, Alianza Lima, Melgar, Real Garcilaso.

Uruguay: Peñarol, Nacional, Danubio, Defensor Sporting.

Venezuela: Zamora, Deportivo Lara, Caracas, Deportivo La Guaira.

Gallardo's feat in not only winning this edition's Copa Libertadores in a Superclásico against Boca Juniors is one of the greatest achievements in football. They were only the other day knocked-out of the World Club Cup by a Gulf state club which shows how great his achievement was.

Unless River invest and manage to hold onto Gallardo, I see dark times returning to them to be honest.  This 2018 final will never be forgotten, the River fans won't let anyone forget it, but to secure their future, they need to do something substantial and against the current grain of losing talent in Latin American football.

This next edition of the Copa Libertadores is a very open one indeed.

• 1 month later...

Melgar beat Universidad de Chile last night with this banger of a goal from my boy Alexis Arias.

1b71e0c9942d1de28414cc4ad09da32e.gif

The Strongest drew 1-1 with Libertad in the other game.

• 1 month later...

Peruvian representatives in the Libertadores.

Melgar 0-0 San Lorenzo @Lucas 

Disappointing draw in somewhat high altitude against Argentina's bottom team. It was an even game where both had chances, but this was Melgar's most winnable game in the group. Hopefully it doesn't cost them too badly.

Alianza Lima 1-1 River Plate @Pyfish 

Alianza Lima were so close to getting a win, but a 90+6 minute free kick sees River Plate steal a point in Lima. Unfortunate, but that's football sometimes. Jose Manzaneda with the goal for Alianza.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Eco said:

Surprised @Grizzly21 isn't updating this as Lima has a team in it and they play tonight against Palestino (Chile). 

I'm at the Sudamericano U17 to watch our youngsters play against Argentina, so I sadly can't watch either games.

I'll try to get back to updating these

Melgar 1-0 Junior @Lucas 

Massive 3 points for Melgar who beat last years Sudamericana finalists at home, going 4 points clear in 3rd, a dropping Copa Sudamericana spot. Giancarlo Carmona with the winner in the 72nd.

Palestino 3-0 Alianza @Pyfish 

Poor performance from Alianza who have 3 games left but only 1 point. Their campaign so far has been disappointing.

• 4 weeks later...

36332f630f35e0bfbf8c60432474c46c.png

Here are the qualified teams to the next round so far. River made it last night with a 2-0 win over Palestino, and I'd back them to win the whole thing again. De la Cruz has finally returned to his best level, and Mathias Suarez is quality. Of course they have the same forwards from last year and Martinez Quarta gets better per year.

Cruzeiro is also looking really good but they have a more accessible group.

• 4 weeks later...

Athletico Paranaense,  my hometown team, and River are playing tonight the first leg of the Recopa Sudamericana. After 45 minutes, Athletico is winning 1-0. 

Bruno Guimarães´s pass for the first goal was a beauty. He and Renan Lodi are great prospects. 

18 minutes ago, José said:

Red milton casco xD you watching hijo mio ?

He´s probably watched my Furação put on a show against his River. haha 

Renan Lodi, Bruno Guimarães and Leo Pereira are not going to stay much longer at Athletico. It´ll be hard to keep them after the european summer transfer window.

Archived