talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bohemian Rhapsody: Brian May reveals his favourite Rami Malek scene was nearly CUT

football forum

• Subscriber

Jo-Anne Rowney          17 hrs ago

BBONSHT.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Credits: 20th Century Fox

Brian May has revealed his favorite moment in Bohemian Rhapsody - and it wasn't in the script.

The movie biopic tells the story of Freddie Mercury's rise to fame, and his falling out with Queen - as well as their famous Live Aid. 

May, speaking to Louder Sound, said there was one stand out moment for him - and it was a moment from Rami Malek. 

He said: "My favorite Rami moment is when Freddie is plucking up the courage to tell us he’s going off to do his solo album.

Video: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody Official Video (People)

"It’s a wonderful piece of acting – and a lot of that wasn’t in the script. And when I watch it I feel that is so Freddie."

May felt that Malek captured Freddie Mercury's mannerisms.

"He’d talk quietly, puff on his cigarette, not want to come out with the words," he said.

BBOPkTx.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Credits: 20th Century Fox

"Eventually he did it – in a very cut-and-dry manner. But you can see the angst inside."

But the scene nearly didn't make the final cut, with May fighting to keep it in.

He added: "That scene nearly got cut from the movie – that’s a little secret – just because there’s always this pressure to make things shorter.

BBQSXU7.img?h=561&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© 2018 Getty Images LAS VEGAS, NV - SEPTEMBER 01: Guitarist Brian May of Queen + Adam Lambert performs as the group kicks off its 10-date limited engagement, 'The Crown Jewels,' at Park Theater at Park MGM on September 1, 2018, in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

"But we fought for that scene to stay in because the realism of it is quite gut-wrenching. That was a difficult moment for us. It’s Freddie kinda leaving his family."

Despite initial mixed reviews, Bohemian Rhapsody has become the highest-grossing musical biopic ever.

Critics felt the movie straight-washed Mercury's sexuality as well as playing around with the timeline.

Gallery: 'Bohemian Rhapsody' to 'First Man': How Editors Construct Narratives With "Emotional Resonance" (The Hollywood Reporter)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/bohemian-rhapsody-brian-may-reveals-his-favourite-rami-malek-scene-was-nearly-cut/ar-BBQStdQ?li=AAnZ9Ug

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm yet to watch the movie... heard different opinions from friends; some like it, some find the story too-sanitized and too family friendly. 

Not seen it yet but I don't think it could ever beat the real thing in Freddie & Queen, one of my all-time great performer and group, I was gutted when Freddie passed away. 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Probably the most overrated song in existence. Absolutely diabolical.

When I first heard it I thought it was awkward and irritating with all those opera-like parts, high pitched voices and weird flow and structure...just all over the place really. Somehow learned to appreciate it later, but it's definitely overplayed and overhyped to the point of insanity.

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Probably the most overrated song in existence. Absolutely diabolical.

Boooooooo.

The film is good imo. It's not going to get into the nitty gritty most dirty bits of Freddy Mercury's life. It's a nice little overview of him and Queen's rise to fame through the Live Aid performance, it's an entertaining film.

Archived