talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton 3-2 Arsenal - Sunday 16th December, 2018

football forum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocking performance and a deserved loss, obviously wasn't ideal to have all our CB's out but we still should've been better.

Don't want to be too hard on Emery as he is doing a stellar job but team selections have been questionable this season. I also think he needs to be a bit more brave with his selections. Wad 3 at the back and dual 6s really necessary vs Southampton.

Anyway fair play I can see to Saints, I can see them moving up the table under Hussenhuttl.

Could see this happening...

This is normal and can easily occur considering the reality of the situation.  The positive run which has ended today was positive and also negative... Positive in the sense that when we lost those two games early on in the season I always said that with a small run of good results we could gain confidence and go on a run that would leave us in a position to compete to be included in the top 4.  Negative because the longer the run went on the harder the fall would be when the media made their analysis.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised at all which is what the general consensus should be. Our team (as I've maintained all along even in the middle of this now concluded run) isn't all that no matter what some would have you believe.  There are many issues that were there before the season commenced and obviously if they were there, then they continue to be there.

The situation is to stay calm and hopefully this supposed easier period by comparison to what we've faced before we play Liverpool, can stay sound.

The MAIN thing from my point of view is that absolutely NO MONEY is spent in the January transfer window, no matter what!

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Shocking performance and a deserved loss, obviously wasn't ideal to have all our CB's out but we still should've been better.

Don't want to be too hard on Emery as he is doing a stellar job but team selections have been questionable this season. I also think he needs to be a bit more brave with his selections. Wad 3 at the back and dual 6s really necessary vs Southampton.

Anywhere fair play I can see Saints moving up the table under Hussenhuttl.

The team selections statement is a very cont one mate. Not only does it allude to the fact a football fan knows more than a football coach, but also states that we're talking about more than one player.

We conceded 3 goals today!  If this is down to mere team selection, then tell me which one you feel would've brought home a result... Remember we haven't lost since the start of the season and furring that period there's been no argument.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The team selections statement is a very cont one mate. Not only does it allude to the fact a football fan knows more than a football coach, but also states that we're talking about more than one player.

We conceded 3 goals today!  If this is down to mere team selection, then tell me which one you feel would've brought home a result... Remember we haven't lost since the start of the season and furring that period there's been no argument.

I'm not saying I know more than the man, but considering we haven't had a single lead at half time in any premier league game this season and we make HT subs pretty much every game shows he isn't getting it spot on. 

Obviously it was a difficult one for Emery today with our lack of defensive options, but he went too defensive and it clearly back-fired. No reason not to play Ramsey and Lacazette today for me for a start.

I see what you are saying though and I'm not panicking, Unai has gone above my expectations and hopefully we can get another run going. 

22 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I'm not saying I know more than the man, but considering we haven't had a single lead at half time in any premier league game this season and we make HT subs pretty much every game shows he isn't getting it spot on. 

Obviously it was a difficult one for Emery today with our lack of defensive options, but he went too defensive and it clearly back-fired. No reason not to play Ramsey and Lacazette today for me for a start.

I see what you are saying though and I'm not panicking, Unai has gone above my expectations and hopefully we can get another run going. 

I'm not just pointing the finger at you with that selection comment mate because it's the typical comment made by fans and cheap journalists when a negative result suddenly rears it's ugly head. Social media with its millions of football coaches (so many pretend to be one myself included) is now full of the same comments which when that occurs it prices that assumption is wrong.

I challenge anyone to provide a team selection (substantiating it with FACTS) that could claim it to be the winning formula today which means not conceding 3 goals and not bothering with the attacking element of it all because scoring 2 away goals usually should give you a chance of a positive result.

Obviously not an ideal situation going into the game with our only fit CB being one that's just come back from a big injury but that was still poor. 1 available CB but we played 3 at the back which also hurt the midfield because Xhaka was in the back 3, even Elneny has better experience in defence. Poor result against a shit team. When Shane Long & Charlie Austin score against you, you know it's not been a good day.

Important not to throw everything out though. It was a complacent lineup but hopefully we get straight back to what was bringing us decent results.

Maybe the reason three were played at the back come down to two fundamental reasons...

1. Not enough centre-backs to choose from with guarantees.
  2. Wanting to play a compact game to break on the counter by soaking up pressure.

Seemingly easy games sometimes bring negative results as has been seen this season for many top teams aside from the fact that this phenomenon is quite common everywhere.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is cech really worse? Or is it just the style he wants becauee what I've seen of Leno he is approaching Karius levels of shite wss. 

Leno has worse stats that Karius in Germany, so it’s believable that he’s not as good. Cech was probably the worst keeper in the league last year though.

• The title was changed to Southampton 3-2 Arsenal - Sunday 16th December, 2018
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived