talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Worst Signing Of The Season

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way has it been Xhaka. These Cascarino/Burley/Sutton/Danny Mills types should be given zero attention when it comes to what they think. They're imbeciles.

Sissoko is the obvious choice. Pogba, Stones, Bravo, Musa and Janssen are in the conversation as well.

• Subscriber

I think us or West Ham did collectively the worst business but I'm not sure if any single one of our transfers ranks at number one. Although from another angle the Molla Wague signing was utterly laughable. Not in terms of pound for pound, but the fact we failed to sign a defender after going for Michael Keane in the summer, failed again in January to get him, Kara Mbodji or Acerbi, and ended up signing this bloke, 25 years old, about 70 career appearances, on loan from Udinese, was absolutely astounding from a team in the Champions League.

He made one appearance at Millwall away in the cup, which we lost 1-0, which he got injured for the season in.

Comedy signing sadly.

I don't know what to say on the overall worst signing of the season, but where Arsenal are concerned Xhaka is definitely up there considering what we paid for him and what you could get for that.  He is nowhere near top level to play in that position.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:05 AM, Cannabis said:

To think we had a medical room all set up and ready for Sissoko and he flew down to London, switching his phone off in the process to sign for Spurs.

If you look up the term "dodging a bullet" in the Oxford Dictionary you'll find a report on this transfer.

Pogba just escapes my vote as he's actually played for United and 10% of the time has put a shift in, still an awful purchase mind.

Andre Santos?

Yep...  That's the one. xD

4 hours ago, 6666 said:

No way has it been Xhaka. These Cascarino/Burley/Sutton/Danny Mills types should be given zero attention when it comes to what they think. They're imbeciles.

Sissoko is the obvious choice. Pogba, Stones, Bravo, Musa and Janssen are in the conversation as well.

Not really. The difference is that one is an observational detriment to the team, the others in particular Sissoko and Janssen are an invisible nothing. An empty vacuum that money fell into. Pogba and Stones while playing badly have the excuse of 'potential', however abstract that may be. Bravo has no excuse.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

Not really. The difference is that one is an observational detriment to the team, the others in particular Sissoko and Janssen are an invisible nothing. An empty vacuum that money fell into. Pogba and Stones while playing badly have the excuse of 'potential', however abstract that may be. Bravo has no excuse.

So Pogba gets let off because of potential? You do realise he is only 6 months younger than Xhaka... 

He has been no means a world beater but to say he has been one of the worst signings of the season is a massive stretch, the worst of all time is laughable. He has all the tools to be brilliant, he has just been exposed by Wenger's tactical ineptitude.

For me in terms of pure money spent it's probably Sissoko. Just dreadful considering the money spent.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Mazzari said:

Anyone saying Janssen is unbelievably wrong. He's played well in every aspect of the game except for his final product, and he has still scored 6 in all comps mostly off of the bench.

mostly penalties as well xD 

he's been poor. in the shadow of Kane so maybe that emphasises how poor he is. 

Just now, Stan said:

mostly penalties as well xD 

he's been poor. in the shadow of Kane so maybe that emphasises how poor he is. 

He's been poor, but he's young. Nowhere near the worst signing of the window. Still scored more than Andre Ayew and Simone Zaza combined, who were supposed to fire West Ham into Europe.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Again, a bit harsh? Is he really worse than Park Chu Young, Inamoto or Jeffers?

I'll tell you why Panna is right in what he's just answered you mate...

We NEEDED a defensive midfielder, a leader in midfield and an allround top quality player that marshalled those two lines between the defence and the midfield.  We've needed that for quite a number of years now and it was well documented in the media as well as so many debates before Xhaka was signed in the other forum we've all just left.

The players you've quoted weren't ever signed to be protagonists in the first team and were squad fillers where as Granit Xhaka was signed as the man I've just mentioned was needed in the first paragraph.  We even overpaid for him which shows some people we are willing to spend as we have done in recent seasons with Mesut Özil and Alexis Sánchez.

Xhaka right now as things stand is a terrible and expensive signing.  I've always said he has potential and rate his mid to long range passing.  But he has too many holes in the rest of his game and we were meant to sign a ready made player, I think.

• Administrator

I really can't see beyond Xhaka being this season's dud extraordinaire, touted as a Pirlo like player with his passing and elegance on the ball, he's looked anything but. Sloppy passing, two footed tackling on occasions, he's a low rent Vinny Jones.  

31 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Good post, thanks for that :)

I can see where you are coming from, the letdown of a player is obviously much greater if the expectations were quite high. 

From my point of view mate my expectations weren't high simply because I'd practically never heard of him.  Actually let me rephrase that...  I had heard of him but I didn't know anything about him.  I don't think many Arsenal fans did to be honest.

Archived