talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mo Salah Wins African Footballer of the Year

football forum

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been named African Footballer of the Year 2018 for the second year in a row.

The Egyptian fended off competition from both Liverpool team-mate Sadio Mane and Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly.to claim the prize.

Juventus defender Mehdi Benatia and Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey were also in the running for the award.

"It's a great feeling to win again. I'm happy and I would like to win it also next year," Salah told the BBC.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the list. I must say, African football is at its lowest in a very long time. Salah, Aubameyang and Mane are great but the rest of players aren't household names like you'd expect from Africa. Koulibaly is also missing from the list.

Not saying they are bad players, just not quite as good as what we've had in the past.

1. Alex Iwobi (Nigeria & Arsenal)

• 2. Andre Onana (Cameroon & Ajax)
  • 3. Anis Badri (Tunisia & Esperance)
  • 4. Denis Onyango (Uganda & Mamelodi Sundowns)
  • 5. Mehdi Benatia (Morocco & Juventus)
  • 6. Mohamed Salah (Egypt & Liverpool)
  • 7. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon & Arsenal)
  • 8. Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Manchester City)
  • 9. Sadio Mane (Senegal & Liverpool)
  • 10. Walid Soliman (Egypt & Ahly)

17 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I think it is fair to say that Egyptians consider themselves to be Coptic + Arabs first. Egypt is even considered as a part o Middle East. 

It's kind of funny actually. I was on the wind-up when I said that but it isn't entirely untrue. Granted I'm no expert on the matter, basic geography suggests Egypt is a part of Africa, but it's kind of like Guyana and Suriname. They are technically a part of South America but if you ask anyone including Guyanan and Surinamese people they would tell you that they are from the Carribean.

Archived