talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How "big" is the team above?

football forum

football forum

Easy one this but it could turn out interesting. You basically post the name of a football team and the person below you replies with how big they think the team is and why, it'll probably create some discussion from people who have all different views on teams. 50% of the forum could think that Manchester City are a big club whilst 50% of the forum could think that they're not. 

Let's give it a go, post a team after a each post (if you're answering the one above you) but by all means have a discussion about others. I'll start;

Nottingham Forest 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everton's club size has been in decline for 20 years because the personna of the club was downgraded under Bill Kenwright and David Moyes to a hard working team. It is slowly turning around but there is a lot of work to be done to shake off that dull era.

I think Everton will rise again in status.

Middlesbrough

Personally, they are Tier B to me. In the EPL which is big, and in the scheme of things makes them a bigger club. I tend to always go back to them winning the League Cup back in '04 so I'd say fairly big, but still obscure in the world of Football.

Bristol Rovers

It's got a global reach, incredibly popular, and a rich history on top of it. However, it doesn't really compete to win, rather to maintain a status quo.

Man City/Chelsea pick your noveau rich poison 

When a guy like me who grew up in India got to hear the names of River Plate and Boca Juniors during the times when football wasnt ruled much by oil money then it means a lot about them. I heard about their derby when I was very young and considering that they are not even english clubs that definitely means a lot. Later on I got to know that the likes of Crespo and DiStefano played for River Plate with rich history and great success. I think River Plate has to be the biggest south american club (or atleast the most popular one that I have heard of ) along with Boca.

Mohun Bagan

Literally an unknown club outside of South America and people that have any sort of knowledge of world football. One of the biggest clubs in South-America (if not the biggest) but irrelevant when it comes to the rest of the world as South-American football has severely lagged behind in marketing in the last twenty years.

West Ham

• Subscriber

A club that has grown in the potential they have to attract talent, but one that is playing a risky game as they've practically abandoned their home advantage for a while. Saying that, they've not got the most impressive trophy cabinet.

Birmingham City.

One of the biggest teams in South America, and the talent they have produced has had a monumental impact on worl football. That said, their recent success has been very limited, as has that of South American football in general. In terms of name and history, up there with Champions League regulars. In terms of current performance, they sit more like a Europa League side.

Hajduk Split.

The biggest team in the central to southern parts of Italy but historically can't compete with the Milan sides and Juve.

Juan Aurich

Do some research on this one lads

The team in France before PSG. Really had a great team full of players that are playing at bigger, and better clubs. Benzema and others included. They were fantastic to watch about 5-8 years ago. 

LA Galaxy

A club with a kick ass Jesus kit, and a former powerhouse of italian football. But when the money dried up due to corruption (surprise surprise) They became a bit of a circus, couldn't pay their players and were sent into the fiery balls of hell that is bankruptcy and 3rd tier football.

Rasenballsport Leipzig

For football purists: a stain on the Bundesliga. For those that are pragmatic: an incredibly well run club with a fantastic scouting network, finances, and coaching staff; Redbull should be proud. Okay as a 'one off' but if it were to become the norm it'd be the death knell for grass-roots culture.

Lazio

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

For football purists: a stain on the Bundesliga. For those that are pragmatic: an incredibly well run club with a fantastic scouting network, finances, and coaching staff; Redbull should be proud. Okay as a 'one off' but if it were to become the norm it'd be the death knell for grass-roots culture.

Lazio

Racist, Neo-Nazi, Bigots. That's their reputation and it's duly deserved. Their fans are their own worst enemies. 

AC/Inter Milan (in terms of them both being bought by Asians .

Just now, ATL said:

Racist, Neo-Nazi, Bigots. That's their reputation and it's duly deserved. Their fans are their own worst enemies. 

AC/Inter Milan (in terms of them both being bought by Asians .

That is the fans, not the club.

Just now, Spike said:

That is the fans, not the club.

When fans have been doing this for as long as they have, it's on the club for not eliminating the stigma attached. Lazio = Neo-Nazis. IF they could eliminate that, they would be a much better off club. Until then, they are the reputation of their fans. 

Archived