talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would Alex Ferguson have cut it abroad?

football forum

For me Alex Ferguson was the greatest manager in British club football. But would he have cut it abroad? You look at some great mangers and they have won things in different countries. Fergie wasn't known as a great tactician, good but not exceptional. Would he have cut it in leagues such as Spain, Italy, Germany? And if not does it stop him from being the greatest club manager ever?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that use the argument of staying loyal to a club or even omitting the loyalty part and just staying at one club for a long time which is the baton many use to beat Lionel Messi with, then one could throw a similar ridiculous argument into the ring on Sir Alex Feguson's part.

Maybe Maldini. Puyol, Gigs, Scholes, Gerrard, Iniesta, Xavi etc... (On the player side of the argument)

• Subscriber

Not sure about that, SAF was a great at man management but I don't think he had the language skills that you really need to work abroad but I could be wrong, nowadays managers who work abroad and can only speak English have advisers with them who can speak multi-languages, saying that Jose can speak multi languages but fucked if he can communicate with his current squad!!  

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For those that use the argument of staying loyal to a club or even omitting the loyalty part and just staying at one club for a long time which is the baton many use to beat Lionel Messi with, then one could throw a similar ridiculous argument into the ring on Sir Alex Feguson's part.

Maybe Maldini. Puyol, Gigs, Scholes, Gerrard, Iniesta, Xavi etc... (On the player side of the argument)

Its a question mate. I'm not saying he isn't a top coach I'm just asking whether he would have had success in other countries

TBH I doubt he could have replicated his success. Fergusons united was a scrappy team, who were often 'just good enough' with a very deep squad. Very good at combating the kick and rush of regular premier league, and scrappy enough to mix it up in the CL but not the guy I'd want trying to orchestrate Barcelona.

If we’re forgetting the need to firstly learn and then confidently converse in a foreign language to portray his thoughts, feelings and emotion, yes, he’d have been able to do it very easily. 

However, the culture of clubs abroad seems to be completely different to what ours was when Ferguson was managing. Bayern Munich had ten managers between 1980-2000, Real Madrid had twenty-one managers between 1980-2000 and Barcelona had thirteen, so if a Ferguson team had gone through a similar poor spell to that now infamous poor spell of Ferguson’s around that Nottingham Forest cup tie, he would have potentially been sacked and not entrusted with the time Manchester United afforded him. 

Also, European clubs work in a different way, they have Presidents and have Director of Football personnel and Ferguson never worked with one and seemed to want an autonomous role at United. 

Ability wise alone, I think he would have done it easily but there are other factors that may have not allowed him to be successful. 

On 15/12/2018 at 02:53, Devil-Dick Willie said:

TBH I doubt he could have replicated his success. Fergusons united was a scrappy team, who were often 'just good enough' with a very deep squad. Very good at combating the kick and rush of regular premier league, and scrappy enough to mix it up in the CL but not the guy I'd want trying to orchestrate Barcelona.

He won the CL twice? *edit* oh I read that wrong lol my mistake

I think he could assuming he could get over shite like language barriers. He evolved his tactics a lot over the decades and in his final years as manager.

I think he could succeed abroad.

He did. He is a Scotsman who did quite well in England. 

On a serious note though, I think he'd have done well abroad probably after the treble win up until about 2009. In that decade I think he'd have done well wherever he went. Let's not forget he won the Cup Winners' Cup with Aberdeen (beating Bayern in the semis and Real Madrid in the final) and also with United (against a very strong Barca side) as well as two Champions' Leagues. 

Archived