talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Harry Kane Win BBC Sports Personality Of The Year?

football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Some pens in a World Cup and complete fluke ricochet. Still won fuck all compared to the real champions up for those awards. Just goes to show how the perception of greatness is so skewed when it comes to football.

You could argue it is harder to achieve in football due to how popular it is and how much it is played around the world.

When it comes to tennis, golf or motor racing you need either a connection in youth or privilege. Very few get to give it a go nevermind a good go.

I think the award lost a lot of credability last year in all honesty. For Anthony Joshua to finish fourth was pretty embarrassing, especially considering the only logical explanation he could have finished behind Johnnie Peacock was because the latter had been on Strictly. This is nothing more than a personality award instead of one where you compare achievements.

I think Harry Kane deserves to have been in the top three given he spearheaded the unthinkable in connecting the England players back with the fans.

It was nice seeing Tyson Fury have his moment on stage too. I'm sure he's well aware that his previous comments have possibly ruined any chance of him winning a personality award but his story is somewhat remarkable.

Not going to take anything away from Geraint Thomas, but on achievement this would have been Hamilton's award. I think Lewis Hamilton suffers from people's pre-concepted opinion of him. Like Raheem Sterling, he probably isn't a flash arrogant twat, but is portrayed as one so the average person isn't going to get behind him.

I don't think harry Kane should have been in the top 3. I would have had him 5th or 6th as the others won something. Thought the right person won it. 

Glad the netball team won team of the year as what they did never happens in netball

12 hours ago, Harvsky said:

You could argue it is harder to achieve in football due to how popular it is and how much it is played around the world.

When it comes to tennis, golf or motor racing you need either a connection in youth or privilege. Very few get to give it a go nevermind a good go.

I  think cycling is higher in terms of participation. I wanted to get tennis couching it is very expensive. Motor racing needs money definitely. Don't think golf is to expensive to play

11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s a proper middle class awards ceremony. They wouldn’t dare give it to a footballer because his wages should be given to a doctor and they don’t want their little darling Hugo turning out like a footballer when he’s older. 

Its done in on public votes. And giggs won it in 2009

• Subscriber
On 16/12/2018 at 17:02, Lucas said:

Ronnie O'Sullivan. Time to acknowledge the game's greatest player now.

This. He would have got my vote. Hands down. 

Maybe we will only appreciate him once he's gone. The other greatest players in Davis and Hendry have said that Ronnie is the games greatest ever player. Shit how he was overlooked.... again.

On 16/12/2018 at 22:58, The Palace Fan said:

I think the award lost a lot of credability last year in all honesty. For Anthony Joshua to finish fourth was pretty embarrassing, especially considering the only logical explanation he could have finished behind Johnnie Peacock was because the latter had been on Strictly. This is nothing more than a personality award instead of one where you compare achievements.

I think Harry Kane deserves to have been in the top three given he spearheaded the unthinkable in connecting the England players back with the fans.

It was nice seeing Tyson Fury have his moment on stage too. I'm sure he's well aware that his previous comments have possibly ruined any chance of him winning a personality award but his story is somewhat remarkable.

Not going to take anything away from Geraint Thomas, but on achievement this would have been Hamilton's award. I think Lewis Hamilton suffers from people's pre-concepted opinion of him. Like Raheem Sterling, he probably isn't a flash arrogant twat, but is portrayed as one so the average person isn't going to get behind him.

AJ should have won last year. Madness.

As for this year, Ronnie would have got my vote but out of the top 6 it was Lewis Hamilton, easily.

Yes it was impressive from Thomas but a 5th World Title?!

Archived