• Fernandinho (Manchester City)
    • Casemiro (Real Madrid)
    • Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma)
    • Jorginho (Napoli/Chelsea)
    • Fabinho (AS Monaco/Liverpool)
    • Ivan Rakitic (FC Barcelona)

football forum

giphy.gif

Who plays the midfield like a fiddle yet looks like a boss in doing so? These are the centre midfielders that might not get forward as much as their mates but are strong, resilient and let nothing past them to hurt the defence. Clean sheets are a given with this crowd in the side. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sergio Busquets

Anyone that knows their football will understand what this player has been and is for the game and his particular position.  Not only is he defensively up there with the greatest in his position, he also does so much more and his technical ability for a player plying his trade in that position is incredible.

I have to also mention N'Golo Kanté who I love and does a tremendous job both for club and country.  He has limitations though and that's a fact by comparison to Busquets.  But all the same one can't deny that Kanté is a brilliant footballer.

• The topic was pinned
football forum
23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sergio Busquets

Anyone that knows their football will understand what this player has been and is for the game and his particular position.  Not only is he defensively up there with the greatest in his position, he also does so much more and his technical ability for a player plying his trade in that position is incredible.

I have to also mention N'Golo Kanté who I love and does a tremendous job both for club and country.  He has limitations though and that's a fact by comparison to Busquets.  But all the same one can't deny that Kanté is a brilliant footballer.

x2.

football forum
6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Just notched that the Ballon d'Or (Luka Modrić) isn't on the list. 

He's on the attacking one.

Just seen your comment about Iniesta, that was a mistake however :$

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

He's on the attacking one.

And Iniesta is on the defensive one?

Modrić is far from an attacking midfielder mate and I don't know where that perception has come from. He isn't even a defensive midfielder (pure) either and more a an overall central midfielder.

But what's for sure is that if Modrić is placed either in the attacking midfielder poll (especially this one) or the defensive midfielder poll, then many things become evident.

What I find confusing is how many football magazines get these things wrong and it's a debate in itself.

Just to say that in Spain, Modrić is known as a "centrocampista" (central midfielder) and not a "Volante" (attacking midfielder) or a "pivote" (central holding midfielder).

The fact both Tony Kroos and Casemiro have been nominated tells us something.

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

These Barca sympathisers are the biggest wums on this forum. Balon would have voted for Vermaelen if he was an option.

He was in the central defenders and I didn't vote for him, I voted for Umtiti who is a valid choice.

Now explain to me why Busquets is a bad choice... You can't just make that statement and not add substance to it.  Go on (but only with reference to this topic for which you have felt compelled to make it public).

football forum
Just now, SirBalon said:

And Iniesta is on the defensive one?

Modrić is far from an attacking midfielder mate and I don't know where that perception has come from. He isn't even a defensive midfielder (pure) either and more a an overall central midfielder.

But what's for sure is that if Modrić is placed either in the attacking midfielder poll (especially this one) or the defensive midfielder poll, then many things become evident.

What I find confusing is how many football magazines get these things wrong and it's a debate in itself.

Just to say that in Spain, Modrić is known as a "centrocampista" (central midfielder) and not a "Volante" (attacking midfielder) or a "pivote" (central holding midfielder).

The fact both Tony Kroos and Casemiro have been nominated tells us something.

Oh I agree, but putting them in their ''true'' positions would lead to 20-30 different threads to class them all so in the interest of keeping things simple I've gone for a 4-4-2 with rather broad positions. It's like Messi being on the attacking midfielder poll, he isn't but how would you define him in a poll as there's nobody you can compare him too - he's truly one of a kind! 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Oh I agree, but putting them in their ''true'' positions would lead to 20-30 different threads to class them all so in the interest of keeping things simple I've gone for a 4-4-2 with rather broad positions. It's like Messi being on the attacking midfielder poll, he isn't but how would you define him in a poll as there's nobody you can compare him too - he's truly one of a kind! 

I would definitely classify Messi as an attacking midfielder rather than a striker.  What he is, is an attacker which is anything in that hole behind the front player and in front of the central midfield.  But adding Messi as an attacking midfielder is very acceptable.

Another thing I want to add...

Seeing as many people's argument everytime the Ballon d'Or award nears its conclusion and decision, many state what the team a player is subsequently selected as the favourite wins... i.e. The Champions League, the World Cup, etc...

I would say voting without substantiating or even worse, making a comment without voting is invalid and worthy of ignoring.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Box to box. His best attributes come in the oppositions half 

There's no such thing as that position for a coach.  That's a media created terminology and a description of a player's attributes.  If this is the case, then he's competing with Luka Modrić who also has those attributes.

28 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Now explain to me why Busquets is a bad choice... You can't just make that statement and not add substance to it.  Go on (but only with reference to this topic for which you have felt compelled to make it public).

I was referring to your choices in general.

You have favoured Barcelona talent where ever possible, paying absolutely no regard to the fact they won a weak La Liga last season, they have been underperforming this season, they couldn't make the Champions League final and if that player turned out for the World Cup last summer. Its arrogant and insulting to the World Cup as a spectacle, the importance of The Champions League, and the fantastic work that Pep is doing with Manchetser City.

34 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It's like Messi being on the attacking midfielder poll, he isn't but how would you define him in a poll as there's nobody you can compare him too - he's truly one of a kind! 

He's AM(R) - Inside Forward.

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You have favoured Barcelona talent where ever possible, paying absolutely no regard to the fact they won a weak La Liga last season, they have been underperforming this season, they couldn't make the Champions League final and if that player turned out for the World Cup last summer. Its arrogant and insulting to the World Cup as a spectacle, the importance of The Champions League, and the fantastic work that Pep is doing with Manchetser City.

How was it a weak La Liga when the European Champions ended up third?  That should mean the total opposite if you are to agree with the general consensus of lauding Real Madrid's third Champions League in a row.

My choices are always measured no matter if many think it's biased.  The reason Barcelona players are much of the time selected is because they are top players and because they've performed.

Barça done the double and if you like we can go through the votes by certain members on the various positions that have been put up for the vote.

Substantiate the reasons as to why Kanté had a better season than Busquets? (Put more effort in it than just citing the World Cup because if that's the case, then we can just choose France internationals everywhere they show up on the polls).

football forum
8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Real Madrid being under par does not mean that the whole league was weak.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Real Madrid being under par does not mean that the whole league was weak.

It means the total opposite as has become evident this season. What last season was, was a prelude to what is occurring this year.

31 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There's no such thing as that position for a coach.  That's a media created terminology and a description of a player's attributes.  If this is the case, then he's competing with Luka Modrić who also has those attributes.

He isn't a player that sits in front of the defence. Never has been. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived