• Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)
    • Jupp Heynckes (FC Bayern)
    • Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid)
    • Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)
    • Didier Deschamps (France)
    • Gareth Southgate (England)

football forum

shqb9h3tlzw11.gif

The man that puts it all together. Who's going to manage our rabble of superstars? As always, this is for the best manager throughout the course of 2018 as a calendar year, not for who has been the best this season so far. There can only be one.

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Gone for Southgate. Even disregarding the welcome overachievement at the World Cup, he's galvanised pretty much the whole country in getting them enjoying England playing football again. A mammoth task itself as many fans had lost a lot of interest before he came along.

I'm pretty sure he had a say in playing games away from Wembley, too which has had a very positive affect. 

Gareth Southgate

He reminds me of Zinedine Zidane. Not a tactical genius but he makes good decisions and is good at motivating his players. Sometimes it's easy to see England's World Cup run as a fluke but I think in the Nations League he proved he is a quality manager.

Jurgen Klopp

Turned Liverpool into a force in Europe. Not sure who made the Van Dijk signing but that has changed the team and got them away from their defensive woes as it stabilized the defence completely. Champions League final is never easy, especially being the modern Liverpool.

Pep Guardiola

Intelligent manager who is a tactical genius and does well in developing his players. Sure he can be a bit stubborn at times but give him the resources and he'll make magic out of it. He would have been my definite pick if City did better in the UCL, but he's not far off.

Zinedine Zidane

Not tactically inspiring at all but there is a reason he's gotten his success. Makes good decisions, is good at player development and is very much a cup manager despite his La Liga win almost 2 years ago. I wouldn't give him manager of the year but I'm not entirely on the "he got lucky" bracket.

Didier Deschamps

I don't rate him but in fairness he did what he needed to do at the World Cup. Decided on a system for the World Cup and despite being able to do so much more with that quality, he won the World Cup. You can't really complain.

Ricardo Gareca

Last year he would have gotten my pick because he really did achieve the impossible, but this year he's not had the same type of success. Underwhelming in the World Cup, despite playing good stuff and afterwards we have been awful. Not all his fault, it is a transitional moment for us now but I wouldn't give him the award this year.

Tite

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't rate Brazilian managers, with the exception of Tite. I had such high hopes for Brazil in the World Cup though and they looked nothing like they did in the qualifiers. They were very underwhelming and at their best would have walked the World Cup. I really don't know what happened.

Anyways, I've gone for Klopp.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

For me its a blind pick for mad-man Klopp. What he has achieved since he's come to Liverpool is amazing, took a team of players who couldn't be consistent and worked on getting them up to snuff on attacking. Then saw defensive frailties and went and got VVD and the key in the defensive jigsaw, Becker.

But the real kicker for me and why I rate him as the best manager of the last year is what he did with Firmino, Salah, Trent, Alex and Robertson. Seemingly normal players who no one wanted to touch and many even said were poor signings for Liverpool and turned them into a cohesive unit that broke down some very big teams, both in Europe and domestically. He's got fans of both the club and the sport saying he's got a point to prove but I like that he is systematically finding flaws and putting an end to them while building a team that is playing attractive and effective football.

I hope he wins things with us because he's due some good fortune for getting the players to do what they are doing but I wouldn't be disappointed if he took us on some of the crazy rides he already has. The highlight game for me will always be that night in Anfield when Dortmund were going to walk into a Europa League semi-final at half-time and the turn around post that, pure madness. 

Archived