talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Canadian Premier League

football forum

Next year is the inaugrual season.

Bit disappointing that there will be an odd number of teams (7) but I'm excited nevertheless. I have adopted York 9 are my team as when I move back next summer I'll be going to home and (some) away games.

This is where all the teams are located. Hoping for an away game to Halifax, somewhere I haven't been.

bbc65110d65af433d45f888592e54e98.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

"We"?

Yeah. York 9 will be my local team when I move back.

Technically Forge is actually closer to me, but I've opted for York.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

York9? 

What kind of name is that? 

HFX Wanderers sounds like a cross between a music shop and football team. 

The 9 comes from the 9 districts representing York. As for HFX Wanderers, HFX stands for Halifax. I don't get the need for an abbreviation form though. It's not like it's a long name!

• 1 month later...
Just now, Cannabis said:

Hahaha looks proper shit.

The first year in the league will be extremely low quality - but that's to be expected. We just need to give it time. Canadian soccer still has a long way to go.

Draw is tomorrow for the Canadian Championship (the cup competition)

Teams participating

AS Blainville - Blainville (Quebec Premier League)

Cavalry FC - Foothills County (CanPL)

FC Edmonton - Edmonton (CanPL)

FC Forge - Hamilton (CanPL)

Halifax Wanderers - Halifax (CanPL)

Montreal Impact - Montreal (MLS)

Ottawa Fury - Ottawa (USL)

Pacific FC - Victoria (CanPL)

Toronto FC - Toronto (MLS)

Valour FC - Winnipeg (CanPL)

Vancouver Whitecaps - Vancouver (MLS)

Vaughan Azzurri - Vaughan (League 1 Ontario)

York 9 - York (CanPL)

46758f9873937177c129b1de9b429f32.png

• 1 month later...

Moving back to Canada in June confirmed, and I'll be doing Winnipeg away in October more than likely. Not the farthest away trip but Canada is a big country.

@Stan have you ever done Newcastle or a UCL game away? If so how was the experience going that far?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Moving back to Canada in June confirmed, and I'll be doing Winnipeg away in October more than likely. Not the farthest away trip but Canada is a big country.

@Stan have you ever done Newcastle or a UCL game away? If so how was the experience going that far?

Done Copenhagen away in our CL season.

Short flight after work. Got to Copenhagen for 6pm. Straight on the beers before & during the game at 7.45pm. Only went for the night so didn't pack anything. Slept in the airport overnight. Flight back at 7am in the morning. 

All for a shit 0-0 draw where barely anything happened all game xD. Worth it. 

Just now, Stan said:

Done Copenhagen away in our CL season.

Short flight after work. Got to Copenhagen for 6pm. Straight on the beers before & during the game at 7.45pm. Only went for the night so didn't pack anything. Slept in the airport overnight. Flight back at 7am in the morning. 

All for a shit 0-0 draw where barely anything happened all game xD. Worth it. 

At least it was Copenhagen and not Bradford though xD

Yeah, Toronto to Winnipeg is 2000 km's away, and it's supposedly a shithole but I've not been and I want to definitely do 1 or 2 away games this year. Valour FC have the best ground in the league.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

At least it was Copenhagen and not Bradford though xD

Yeah, Toronto to Winnipeg is 2000 km's away, and it's supposedly a shithole but I've not been and I want to definitely do 1 or 2 away games this year. Valour FC have the best ground in the league.

Bradford is a beautiful place. Probably one of the best northern cities there is.

Copenhagen is ridiculously expensive, mind. And I didn't get to see any of it anyway apart because it was dark/I was fairly drunk. Only bits we did see was the walk from the centre to the stadium with their police (all fans). 

All of Pacific FC's players are from British Columbia except for 5. I should note they want to become the Canadian Bilbao, signing only players from their region. I like the thinking a lot but that is a brave mentality to have when Hockey and basketball are more popular there! Especially given the population.

Rumours that the next new team will be based in Saskatoon. I think that's a very good location. They don't have a team in anything.  Regina holds Saskatchewan's CFL team.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Where does this leave the likes of Toronto FC and Montreal Impact? As they have always been MLS sides, but will they now move over to play in the Canadian league, or stay where they are?

Doubtful, as they are franchises while the CanPL clubs are all run more like English teams.

22 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

All of Pacific FC's players are from British Columbia except for 5. I should note they want to become the Canadian Bilbao, signing only players from their region. I like the thinking a lot but that is a brave mentality to have when Hockey and basketball are more popular there! Especially given the population.

@The Rebel CRS this bit could interest you mate.

I can't see this being a success. Certainly teams would rather play in the MLS as it's where the money is, and that's never going to help. 

We shall see and I love see the growth if the sport, but not sure this is going to be a long term league. 

7 hours ago, Eco said:

I can't see this being a success. Certainly teams would rather play in the MLS as it's where the money is, and that's never going to help. 

We shall see and I love see the growth if the sport, but not sure this is going to be a long term league. 

What do you see failing though?

Each team has their own supporter groups so far meaning it won't be entirely empty, and not every Canadian city can have an MLS team. Honestly if the New Zealand league is capable of surviving, this can too (albeit theirs is semi-pro)

2 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

What do you see failing though?

Each team has their own supporter groups so far meaning it won't be entirely empty, and not every Canadian city can have an MLS team. Honestly if the New Zealand league is capable of surviving, this can too (albeit theirs is semi-pro)

The reason all leagues fail. Lack of funds. 

Just dont think this will be a big deal...if you are in Canada and are an avid soccer fan, surely you support either Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal...

Just now, Eco said:

The reason all leagues fail. Lack of funds. 

Just dont think this will be a big deal...if you are in Canada and are an avid soccer fan, surely you support either Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal...

That's not how it's looked so far...

I've seen fans show up at the airport and big supporter groups all over. Valour FC has a fanbase all over Manitoba as far as I've seen.

Personally, and this is just my own hunch, I couldn't ever lead myself to support Toronto FC cos I couldn't stand the MLS. I much rather would have supported a team in a CANADIAN league, and I know I'm not the only one.

Besides, these aren't franchises.

Archived