talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Canadian Premier League

football forum

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

That's not how it's looked so far...

I've seen fans show up at the airport and big supporter groups all over. Valour FC has a fanbase all over Manitoba as far as I've seen.

Personally, and this is just my own hunch, I couldn't ever lead myself to support Toronto FC cos I couldn't stand the MLS. I much rather would have supported a team in a CANADIAN league, and I know I'm not the only one.

Besides, these aren't franchises.

Haha well we will see. Cardiff and Swansea dont have issues and they do a similar thing. 

And Toronto has a very strong core of fans, as do the other 2 Canadian teams. 

You arent Canadian so I'm not sure why it bothers you so much. It's the MLS, as in Major League Soccer, not the American League Soccer. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eco said:

Haha well we will see. Cardiff and Swansea dont have issues and they do a similar thing. 

And Toronto has a very strong core of fans, as do the other 2 Canadian teams. 

You arent Canadian so I'm not sure why it bothers you so much. It's the MLS, as in Major League Soccer, not the American League Soccer. 

The only team that clashes area with those 3 you mentioned is York 9 FC (my team). York is incredibly close to Toronto, and I'm sure TFC fans will continue supporting their team. York 9 have the smallest fanbase from what I've seen so far, but still have a group which I am a part of.

Most people I met in Canada don't give a hoot about the MLS. I doubt those same people will care for the CanPL, but that's generalizing. Those 3 teams have strong followings, but not all of Canada is multicultural, and they are being smart about it.

Halifax doesn't have a team in anything. They are also arguably the soccer capital of the country as they are some of the pioneers of the sport in the country. Saskatoon is another one that is rumoured to join the league, but don't have a team in anything. I heard the fans were so welcoming at the airport to their new signings

Winnipeg is full of natives, yet all of Manitoba is showing some support to Valour FC. I've seen it in Thomspon too, not just Winnipeg.

A new league will take time to have fan support, especially given it's not a football country. However, it's been a promising start. I don't see how the league will fail if they keep patience to be honest. Most of the stadiums are small and there is clear interest for this to happen. Like in the USA, football has grown enough in Canada for it to work, especially considering the CanMNT is actually somewhat competitive now as opposed to before where it was impossible to support them because of how dull and bad at football they were. 

TFC, Vancouver and Montreal will always be part of the MLS cos they are franchise teams, these aren't. This is more of a traditional league.

Something like 85% of Canadas population resides in the area between Toronto and Ottawa. 

If MLS captures that market, as well as the next two major cities, Vancouver and Montreal, I'm not sure what kind of fanbase they will have. I've seen soccer leagues in the US fail many many times, and the original Atlanta team that I had ST to have since folded due to lack of finances. 

Just now, Eco said:

Something like 85% of Canadas population resides in the area between Toronto and Ottawa. 

If MLS captures that market, as well as the next two major cities, Vancouver and Montreal, I'm not sure what kind of fanbase they will have. I've seen soccer leagues in the US fail many many times, and the original Atlanta team that I had ST to have since folded due to lack of finances. 

I was too thinking the bolded bit at one point, but the sport has grown in both countries. I'm under the impression that if the sport didn't grow enough in the USA, the MLS also would have failed.

Keep in mind, that 85% is not all based in Toronto. Hamilton is another big city, and they have a team, with a supporter group bigger than York 9. Most of the big prairie cities have more than 200,000 people, and Valour FC aside, they all play in relatively small grounds.

I don't think it will fail because I don't see the federation jumping on a motorcycle and expecting this thing to take off immediately. So far, it's been a promising start. Some of these cities don't have a team in anything. Halifax is the first example, and a few others only have CFL teams. 

Speaking of, the CFL is a good example. In Ontario, the NFL is the more popular sport, but out west I think CFL beats it out. It's a big country.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

I was too thinking the bolded bit at one point, but the sport has grown in both countries. I'm under the impression that if the sport didn't grow enough in the USA, the MLS also would have failed.

Keep in mind, that 85% is not all based in Toronto. Hamilton is another big city, and they have a team, with a supporter group bigger than York 9. Most of the big prairie cities have more than 200,000 people, and Valour FC aside, they all play in relatively small grounds.

I don't think it will fail because I don't see the federation jumping on a motorcycle and expecting this thing to take off immediately. So far, it's been a promising start. Some of these cities don't have a team in anything. Halifax is the first example, and a few others only have CFL teams. 

Speaking of, the CFL is a good example. In Ontario, the NFL is the more popular sport, but out west I think CFL beats it out. It's a big country.

Yeah, I, although incorrectly, consider Hamilton as a far suburb of Toronto. 

We shall see. I hope it thrives, but just not sure if it will. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah, I, although incorrectly, consider Hamilton as a far suburb of Toronto. 

We shall see. I hope it thrives, but just not sure if it will. 

When I met Generation IX (York 9's supporter groups) one of the club directors was there and he told us that they are doing a spring and fall season to make sure no team runs away with it and interest is lost quickly. Then a final in one leg at the higher seeded teams home for the same reasons the MLS and the A-League do it. This is why I am confident, they acknowledge their position in the country and are being strategic about it.

So York 9 said today there would be a "big announcement" and in the end it was just an april fools joke.

Could have been funny, if they hadn't spoiled it yesterday.

Kit launch is on Thursday - for all the teams. Very much looking forward to this. Hope ours is quality.

Here's the leaked version if you can believe it. 

91-KS0aCZzL._SL1500_.jpg

12 minutes ago, Eco said:

Here's the leaked version if you can believe it. 

91-KS0aCZzL._SL1500_.jpg

Is this for reals or are you playing for me?

I can't tell because it wouldn't have made a top joke anyways xD

Valour FC have signed Calum Ferguson and Federico Peña. Both part Canadian.

Ferguson has actually played in the CONIFA world cup!

I think it will be streamed on Facebook.

Think? Man I need hard evidence! 

It'll be interesting if they go more of the tradition route, or more of the crazy and, albeit, stupid look. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Think? Man I need hard evidence! 

It'll be interesting if they go more of the tradition route, or more of the crazy and, albeit, stupid look. 

I'm guessing Twitter or Facebook, according to this.

Regardless, it'll be one of the 2. I'm almost sure.

Who the f*** leaks their own kit! Jesus, at least have a player wearing it and making it look accidental than posting the image of the one you'll have in the Team Store! xD

Not a terrible kit. Reminds me of the old Mantova kits 5-10 years ago. 

Lovely, the CanPL is taking the same approach as FIFA. Telling us to be there are 7, but not starting the actual event for another hour. So far we've just had a half hour interview, and now we're back to waiting xD

Archived