talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Canadian Premier League

football forum

Valour lost their home opener to FC Edmonton! Didn't see that one coming. 

All without Tomi Ameobi :( 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forge 3-0 Pacific FC

Cavalry 1-0 Valour FC

At the moment, Cavalry FC is the only team to have won 2 games.

Even start to the league. There is no runaway team at the moment. Cavalry FC is first with 9 points but they haven't convinced me at all. They might win the spring tournament but they have a lot of work to do from what I've seen.

The only team I haven't seen yet is FC Edmonton. They've not been too bad from what I hear.

I didn't see our game the other day but we are struggling. We drew the first leg of the Canadian Championship 0-0 away to Blainville, who aren't even a CanPL side. Not even entirely sure if they are a pro side to be honest. I think we should win the home game, but I'm a bit concerned about our results. Without Manny Aparicio, we don't have a lot of bragging rights-

• 4 weeks later...

We beat Edmonton last night (1-0 loss but won on aggregate) and now we are up against Montreal Impact. I might do the away game which is on July 24th, since the drive is long but not long enough to make a plausible trip.

Cavalry FC will also go up against an MLS side in Vancouver Whitecaps.

ec460b71b03a607cab223a60f39730e6.png

Bad start, we had a penalty saved earlier on and since then we've been dominant. The last 30 minutes that is. Pacific has been perhaps the worst team in the league so far, at least from a technical standpoint. This one is there for the taking. Be disappointed if we can't win today.

Won 1-0, but we were on a string. Nathan Ingham our keeper made some unreal saves near the end. Best keeper in the league bar none. We were the deserved victors overall but we couldn't put our chances away and as a result, Pacific almost equalized.

I am doing Montreal Impact away. 

@Eco 2 CanPL sides will take on MLS sides. Will be interesting to see where they match. Calgary might get something against Whitecaps but I don't expect my team York 9 to do much against the Impact.

Loved the matchday experience first day with the supporters. Hopefully this is for many more. 

We drew 0-0 last night in an even game. Much better than most 0-0's. We were lacking a cutting edge until Rollocks came on who was able to create a lot of good chances for himself and had composure to his shots. Was also great to make fun of the opposition keeper.

f430c2677a06705b029f471ce29a7b9f.jpgf

We will play against Cavalry FC on wednesday in them potentially winning the league. Hoping to see some away fans while there. I suspect they'll bring 10 perhaps at the very most.

I'll be there myself. Couldn't make the last game sadly because Peru played but we drew 0-0 at home to Halifax Wanderers.

• 4 weeks later...

@Eco

Here are a few interesting figures on attendances.

I looked at the last attendance stat of every team in their last home game.

York 9 vs FC Edmonton - 2219

Pacific vs Forge FC - 2604

Halifax vs Cavalry - 6177

Forge FC - 6086

Valour FC - 6678

FC Edmonton - 2321

Cavalry - 4697

What I have gathered from this is that Winnipeg and Halifax are the 2 biggest successes so far. Valour have a huge stadium but still bring in about 6k a game. Not bad if you ask me. Halifax sell out every game but they don't have a team in anything so it's to be expected. The maritime provinces also love their football.

If I were to base these figures for the next teams added, this is what I would say

- No more Toronto GTA teams. York 9 brings the least fans because they compete with Toronto FC. 1 team for now is good enough. If you're going to have more Ontario teams, go for Niagara, Thunder Bay, London or Ottawa.

- My picks for the next team if it was up to me, would be St Johns, Saskatoon, or Quebec City. Those I'm sure will have the success of Halifax Wanderers.

So it seems the most likely teams to join the league next year are Laval in the greater Montreal area, Quebec City or Ottawa Fury finally sorting their issues. Saskatoon is rumoured as well but some people are saying that they wouldn't join in 2020.

I am skeptical about Laval given the Impact is the nearby team. York 9 is struggling for that very reason that they are right by Toronto FC. However, when we played Blainville they managed to bring 1500 people and fill up their small ground, so who knows. It could work.

My pick would be Quebec City as they don't have a team in anything. I'm not counting those junior hockey teams.

Big game this weekend by the way. Cavalry vs York 9 in a top of the table clash. I think we will narrowly lose but it is certainly a bigger match than the first time we met. Forge will probably win this weekend too against Valour, so whoever wins it will probably battle out the fall season with them.

• 1 month later...

My dream comes true: Niagara Falls announced as the next CanPL team, or Buffalo if that really is the extension but the team will be called Niagara Falls FC.

@Eco

EDIT: The Nutmeg News apparently is a satire website. Buggering shame :( 

1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

My dream comes true: Niagara Falls announced as the next CanPL team, or Buffalo if that really is the extension but the team will be called Niagara Falls FC.

@Eco

EDIT: The Nutmeg News apparently is a satire website. Buggering shame :( 

Don't worry mate, years ago I posted an article from the Onion, not knowing that it was also a satire website. xD

• 3 weeks later...

Forge dropped points at home to Halifax. Surprising result, especially given they were 2-0 down. Tristan Borges (21 years old and arguably the best player in the league) tied it up and adds a 10th to his tally.

We lost 4-2 yesterday to Valour, with 2 goals from 18 year old Tyler Attardo. He's turning out to be a tremendous player and has 6 goals in less than 1000 minutes. He's got bags of potential.

Archived