The better place to talk football.

Pub to Drop Sports Channels?

football forum

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
19 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Rising costs and the rise of Now TV look to be the main issues. 

No mention of BT Sport in the article, but I'm sure that BT were offering their channels to pubs at much lower rate than Sky, looking to undercut them.

We (wife) go to our local ex- Servicemen's Club and they normally show the matches live on Sky or BT but they have never mentioned this? the link below though does mention BT.

Sky can fuck off, we have Virgin Media and not Sky and if I think they would up my costs then I would pay for an Amazon Fire Stick.

Sky Sports and BT Sport could be DUMPED by hundreds of pubs

People who can't afford to pay the fees at home go to the pubs to watch instead - but now many pubs can't afford it either

Hundreds of struggling pubs could call time when Sky and BT Sport hike charges in the New Year.

The two networks which show Premier League games are hiking average fees by around £600 a year each.

Campaigners say it is set to be the final straw for pubs already hit by higher costs.

Sky is increasing its subscription rates by 5 per cent while BT charges are rising by 4.9 per cent after they signed a £4.4billion three year TV deal with bosses of England’s top flight soccer

Screening Sky Sports games currently costs around £1,000 a month in subscription fees but many town centre and inner-city pubs pay far more because the price is based on their rateable value.

Sky, which made £2billion in profits last year, says Premier League football can boost drink sales by £30,000 a year.

Sky said: “We invest in a top sport that helps our customers drive footfall and grow business.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/hundreds-pubs-could-dump-sky-13740137

• Subscriber

Can someone explain to me what the 1000 pounds a month gets you? Is it a sports package or just the part that allows the pub to air football games alone because that sounds like a ridiculous amount for anyone to have to cough up to just show one sport. I don't necessarily think that Sky is going to lose much out of this if local businesses do ditch the effort because they sell the rights to air these games to other networks across the globe with subsidiaries who will pay much more per block (game) as well as for the season airing package as well. 

I just saw the NOW TV website too and the monthly cost for a single subscription runs 33.99 pounds/month which seems far more reasonable and 5.99 pounds for mobile access per month.

Still its a dick move and it hurts local businesses which are places for fans to gather if they can't get tickets or just want to get drinks with friends and watch a game. 

The pubs I go to watch sky games probably won't drop it. They would make that £1000 a month quite easily. Sky are making ridiculous money. I don't really understand how business works. I know massive companies have to make massive profits but do they need to make this much?

Archived