talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dundee United in Takeover Bid

football forum

The whole club has had a terrible few years and is in desperate need of a new dawn. As little as about four years ago, they were probably one of the 'model' clubs with on pitch success and a youth academy producing talented players.

Their squad is in need of significant investment in January, and Robbie Neilson needs some authority to bring some quality in. They can't afford yet another season in the Championship, especially with the rise in television money soon coming into the Premiership.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an English point of view, looking at Dundee United, they’re a huge club by Scottish standards, too big infact to be in the doldrums of the second tier. Probably comparable to Nottingham Forest really. 

I always wonder when you see foreign investors buying clubs what they want from being a Football Club owner of a slightly unusual name. Like, what do these Americans want with Dundee United? 

Anyway, hope the new ownership goes well. There’s nothing worse than the breakdown of a Football club at the hands of irresponsible ownership. Relegations are a minor blot on the history of a Football Club but poor ownership can completely ruin a Football Club and set it back decades. 

• Subscriber

I can remember the golden years of Dundee United under the then manager Jim McLean in the 80s, combined with (Sir) Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen broke the stranglehold that Glasgow Rangers & Glasgow Celtic had on Scottish football, McLean got them a Scottish Premiership Title (1982-83) and 2 Scottish League Cups two years on the trot 1979-80/80-81.

I hope the new owners get them back into the SPL instead of languishing in the Scottish Championship and we can see the good old derby matches again, Dundee United v Dundee. 

On 18/12/2018 at 07:26, Smiley Culture said:

From an English point of view, looking at Dundee United, they’re a huge club by Scottish standards, too big infact to be in the doldrums of the second tier. Probably comparable to Nottingham Forest really. 

I always wonder when you see foreign investors buying clubs what they want from being a Football Club owner of a slightly unusual name. Like, what do these Americans want with Dundee United? 

Anyway, hope the new ownership goes well. There’s nothing worse than the breakdown of a Football club at the hands of irresponsible ownership. Relegations are a minor blot on the history of a Football Club but poor ownership can completely ruin a Football Club and set it back decades. 

I'd probably only have Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Rangers as definitively 'bigger' clubs. The club had become a victim of Stephen Thompson's ego towards the end.

On 18/12/2018 at 09:39, CaaC - John said:

I can remember the golden years of Dundee United under the then manager Jim McLean in the 80s, combined with (Sir) Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen broke the stranglehold that Glasgow Rangers & Glasgow Celtic had on Scottish football, McLean got them a Scottish Premiership Title (1982-83) and 2 Scottish League Cups two years on the trot 1979-80/80-81.

I hope the new owners get them back into the SPL instead of languishing in the Scottish Championship and we can see the good old derby matches again, Dundee United v Dundee. 

After seeing Dundee last night, they are both far more likely to be playing in the Championship than both in the Premiership next season.

Archived