talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leo Messi receives a record 5th European Golden Boot

_104864026_messi_reuters.jpg

Barcelona forward Lionel Messi says he "never imagined having so much success" after being presented with a record fifth European Golden Shoe award.

The Argentine scored 34 goals in 36 La Liga appearances in 2017-18, making him the highest goalscorer in Europe ahead of Liverpool's Mohamed Salah (32).

Messi's latest Golden Shoe award moves him one ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo, who has won four in total. 

"The truth is I had no idea this would happen when I started," said Messi.

"I dreamt of playing professional football and enjoying success, I love the game, but I never imagined I would have so much."

Tottenham's Harry Kane finished third in the rankings with 30 Premier League goals, while former Real Madrid forward Ronaldo - now at Juventus - ended the season with 26 goals in 27 league matches.

Messi currently leads Europe's goalscoring charts once again, with 14 goals so far this term, as he targets a sixth Golden Shoe award.

All this and he doesn’t even live off goals! All this and he isn’t even a striker.

5th

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn’t everyone scared that the end is now much closer than the beginning?

I remember crying as a teenager when Maradona said that was enough and even though I’m too mature and wise to reproduce such a nonsensical sentiment in relation to football (I am reserving my personal tears to what’s being done to the UK with Brexit and the liars), I am already nostalgic that something is in actual fact reaching its end... I don’t think football fans in general have cottoned onto this yet and it affects every football lover everywhere. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Just asinine really when people say the likes of Maradona and Pele are better. 

Messi has averaged 51 goals a season since he was 21. And this isn't even a striker nor are goals really the end all about him. 

Serie A back then was insanely low scoring. Top teams barely broke 40 goals in a season so Maradona scoring 15 is not the same as for example Hazard scoring 15 nowadays. Maradona's 15 would almost definitely be 25+ nowadays.

11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've started trying to reproduce children so that they were born when King Messi was playing football. 

Don’t you think it’s ironic that Messi receives his 5th European Golden Boot in the year he was so terrible by his own standards and the standards set by criteria for the award of the best footballer on the planet by also being voted 5th best player in the world?

I agree mate! If there’s one thing I’m gonna offer my son is the understanding of the legends of the game. I will not be biassed at all because I will include them all, thus making him appreciate that football is universal and not just tribal. ;) 

On 18 December 2018 at 18:26, José said:

Ronaldo: 5 CLs :ay:

So Sergio Ramos having played in the same club as Cristiano (because there are other players that have won more) won...

• 1 World Cup
  • 2 Europoean Championships
  • 4 Champions Leagues
  • 4 La Liga titles
  • 2 Copas del Rey
  • 3 European Super Cups
  • 4 World Club Cup trophies

So Ramos is on the same stratosphere as Cristiano?

Remember one thing... There are players that have won much more with their respective clubs and national teams.  This is why your argument means aibsolutely nothing!  It isn't based on football and is based on "fanboyism" with all of its bells and whistles.  I'm starting to think you really don't know much about football my friend.  Please make me be wrong because I like you... Show us that you know FOOTBALL!

14 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

9 goals, 6 assists in 7 games since returning from injury. He's looked brilliant in his general play in most games aswell. Does the man ever age? 

His football doesn't seem to age and it just evolves by getting more intricate. It isn't just based on speed and dribbling skills anymore like when he was much younger!

He himself ages though, as we have done watching him.  Everything ages really mate, even his ranking has aged as against science he gets better and better all the time.  Before he was ranked a 1 star player and now he's a 5 star player! ;)

Archived