The better place to talk football.

The Scottish Title Race

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Thought it deserves its own thread.

The top four are separated by four points and the top seven of the SPL are separated by six points. 

The obvious choice for the title is probably Celtic, then probably Rangers and then Aberdeen, Hearts and St Johnstone. 

*Scottish Premiership

Kilmarnock have a huge month coming. They have the best coach they could hope to attract, but a small squad. Whether they choose to invest or not, it might just be a pivotal moment for the club for the next few years.

Hearts are in absolute freefall. 

From top of the league to unable to score a goal or stop conceding. 

The only difference between the team at the moment and Ian Cathro's rein is they kick and stamp on opposition players when they are getting beat.

Unfortunately, this thread may be coming to a rather predictable and dull end soon. 

1. Celtic...P19...42pts

2. Rangers...P20...39pts

3. Kilmarnock...P20...38pts

4. Aberdeen...P20...36pts

——————

Saturday 29th December 2018

Rangers (2nd) v Celtic (1st)

Kilmarnock (3rd) v St Mirren (11th)

Livingston (7th) v Aberdeen (4th)

From a neutral point of view, a Rangers win and wins for Killie and Aberdeen would mean the top four were separated by just three points. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

If ranger's win the league Gerald will get a job in the premier league easily. He's turning out to be quite a good manager I think

Frank Lampard is doing a good job also for Derby in the English Championship in his first season as a manager and the English Championship is a lot harder than the SPL so I think his name would crop up first.  :D

49007446_10156965806747855_2548774313754

19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I think Gerrard needs at least a couple of years at Rangers before even thinking about coming south. 

I don't know I think he'd do OK in Andorra :ph34r:

With Celtic 'regressing' back to the pack, it will be intriguing to see if they choose to use their significant financial advantage in January. Rodgers was already upset at the board in the summer after missing out on John McGinn, if they have another window with little investment in the squad it could be the beginning of the end for his time in Scotland.

Both Rangers and Celtic have had their squads stretched in the first half of the season with European games and it has had a negative impact on their domestic fixtures. With Rangers going out and Celtic with a challenging tie with Valencia, I imagine we will see an upturn in consistency in the league with them.

Kilmarnock will probably be tested in January with a few bids for their key players. They are far from the biggest spenders in Scotland and a few of their players will only be too aware of the contracts they could get with a move to 'bigger clubs' or a move to England. Rangers already had a bid for Jordan Jones rejected in the summer and it wouldn't be a surprise if they tried again next month.

Aberdeen need to continue their rebuild from the mass exodus of recent years. Devlin has been out for about six weeks already and he needs to return for any challenge to be made. Max Lowe is returning to Derby after his loan expires and leaves a major need at left back with Andrew Considine unable to handle any wide player with any pace of acceleration any longer. Without a solid defence, Aberdeen won't be up to much for the rest of the season.

• Subscriber

Martin Boyle: Hibernian winger returns home from Australia duty with a knee injury

1 hour ago | Hibernian

Hibernian winger Martin Boyle will be sidelined for "an indefinite period" after sustaining a knee injury while on international duty with Australia.

Boyle, 25, suffered a "contact injury" to his knee in the Socceroos' 5-0 Asian Cup win over Oman on Sunday.

He will miss the rest of the tournament and return home to continue his rehabilitation with Hibs.

Boyle, whose father was born in Sydney, won his first caps in November and scored twice on his first start.

Along with Hibs team-mates Mark Milligan and Jamie Maclaren, he missed the Leith outfit's final Scottish Premiership game before the winter break against Hearts to join the Australia squad for the Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

Socceroos head coach Graham Arnold said: "Martin was desperate to stay with us but we've decided that the best thing for his long-term career for both his club and country is for him to return to Scotland where he can receive great care at Hibernian.

"Martin has made a great impact in his time with us and it is unfortunate timing, but his Socceroos journey is not over and we look forward to him pressing for selection for matches later in 2019 and as we go through the process of qualification for the next Fifa World Cup."

A "gutted" Boyle said the Socceroos "have become a big part of my life in a short period of time".

"My focus now will be on my recovery and returning to the pitch as soon as possible with Hibs," he added. "Throughout the tournament, the team will have my full support from Scotland."

Boyle joins a Hibs injury list that already includes goalkeepers Ofir Marciano and Ross Laidlaw, defenders Lewis Stevenson and Ryan Porteous and winger Thomas Agyepong.

American midfielder Emerson Hyndman has also returned to Bournemouth at the end of his six-month loan spell.

Hibs' next game is against League Two side Elgin City in the Scottish Cup on 19 January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46731589

• Subscriber

Steven Davis: Southampton player keen on Rangers return

40 minutes ago | Rangers

Southampton midfielder Steven Davis is keen to return to Rangers but talks are still taking place to determine whether it will be a loan or permanent deal.

The 34-year-old has made only six appearances this term and Southampton are happy for the Northern Ireland international to leave during January.

His contract expires in the summer.

Davis made 152 appearances for Rangers between 2008 and 2012, scoring 18 goals before leaving for the English Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46735608

Archived