• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Football League 2018/19 - 22-23rd December, 2018

Recommended Posts

353.gif

Saturday 22nd December, 2018
Blackburn vs Norwich
Brentford vs Bolton
Derby vs Bristol City
Hull vs Swansea, 17.30
Ipswich vs Sheff Utd
Nottingham Forest vs QPR
Reading vs Middlesbrough
Rotherham vs West Brom
Sheff Weds vs Preston
Stoke vs Millwall
Wigan vs Birmingham

Sunday 23rd December, 2018
Aston Villa vs Leeds, 13.30
 

354.gif

Saturday 22nd December, 2018
Blackpool vs Barnsley
Bradford vs Scunthorpe
Bristol Rovers vs Fleetwood
Charlton vs Gillingham
Doncaster vs Oxford
Luton vs Burton
Peterborough vs Walsall
Plymouth vs Accrington Stanley
Portsmouth vs Sunderland
Shrewsbury vs Coventry
Southend vs Rochdale
Wycombe vs AFC Wimbledon
 

355.gif

Saturday 23rd December, 2018
Bury vs Tranmere
Crawley vs Carlisle
Forest Green vs Crewe
Grimsby vs Notts County
Lincoln vs Newport
Macclesfield vs Port Vale
MK Dons vs Colchester
Morecambe vs Cambridge
Oldham vs Exeter
Stevenage vs Mansfield
Swindon vs Cheltenham
Yeovil vs Northampton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably game of the weekend. Tough one for us at a rejuvinated side scoring for fun. Not a surprise we'll be underdogs for it despite being top.

We don't go there either with our strongest team, especially defensively which worries me given how free scoring Villa are. But I can't really fault the youngsters who have come in, especially Shackleton and Clarke.

When we went to West Brom, we played our normal way and Darren Moore changed to set up to counter us and absolutely murdered us. It was a pretty genius move by them. If Villa are clever, they may do the same.

I dont think there is another team in the division that has as much of the ball as we do in games so Villa may look to do similar and counter attack us. We often are risky at the back in the way we leave ourselves open so potentially could be another nightmare unless Bielsa changes our set up. Usually he is very reluctant to do so.

Personally feel like we're catching them at a bad time, they will be confident in beating us and up for it as we are the present league leaders so I expect defeat. Would take a point to be honest.

The only bonus is knowing we have scored in every away game and we have the tools to do so. I just dont think 1 goal would be enough for us rate they are banging them in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Probably game of the weekend. Tough one for us at a rejuvinated side scoring for fun. Not a surprise we'll be underdogs for it despite being top.

We don't go there either with our strongest team, especially defensively which worries me given how free scoring Villa are. But I can't really fault the youngsters who have come in, especially Shackleton and Clarke.

When we went to West Brom, we played our normal way and Darren Moore changed to set up to counter us and absolutely murdered us. It was a pretty genius move by them. If Villa are clever, they may do the same.

I dont think there is another team in the division that has as much of the ball as we do in games so Villa may look to do similar and counter attack us. We often are risky at the back in the way we leave ourselves open so potentially could be another nightmare unless Bielsa changes our set up. Usually he is very reluctant to do so.

Personally feel like we're catching them at a bad time, they will be confident in beating us and up for it as we are the present league leaders so I expect defeat. Would take a point to be honest.

The only bonus is knowing we have scored in every away game and we have the tools to do so. I just dont think 1 goal would be enough for us rate they are banging them in.

I like how Sky think this is still a Premier League clash by sticking it on at 1.30pm on a Sunday :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

I like how Sky think this is still a Premier League clash by sticking it on at 1.30pm on a Sunday :ph34r:

You got to appease the mass market mate. No other appealling PL games out there, which says a lot for the PL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/12/2018 at 16:16, Lucas said:

Probably game of the weekend. Tough one for us at a rejuvinated side scoring for fun. Not a surprise we'll be underdogs for it despite being top.

We don't go there either with our strongest team, especially defensively which worries me given how free scoring Villa are. But I can't really fault the youngsters who have come in, especially Shackleton and Clarke.

When we went to West Brom, we played our normal way and Darren Moore changed to set up to counter us and absolutely murdered us. It was a pretty genius move by them. If Villa are clever, they may do the same.

I dont think there is another team in the division that has as much of the ball as we do in games so Villa may look to do similar and counter attack us. We often are risky at the back in the way we leave ourselves open so potentially could be another nightmare unless Bielsa changes our set up. Usually he is very reluctant to do so.

Personally feel like we're catching them at a bad time, they will be confident in beating us and up for it as we are the present league leaders so I expect defeat. Would take a point to be honest.

The only bonus is knowing we have scored in every away game and we have the tools to do so. I just dont think 1 goal would be enough for us rate they are banging them in.

Should be a full house to so will have a good atmosphere. I’m backing a draw, mainly because Nyland is still there and Grealish is out which does effect us. 

If we had Grealish I’d have backed us to win tbh. 

My prediction is: 2-2 

A keeper has been brought now so available 2nd game of Jan, it’s no joke Nyland has cost us 15 points so far. I fully expect about 20m worth of defensive reinforcements in Jan and I expect to challenge for automatic promotion off the back of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of big games across League One and Two today.

Portsmouth (1st) vs Sunderland (3rd)

Lincoln (1st) vs Newport (6th)
MK Dons (2nd) vs Colchester (3rd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotherham 0-1 West Brom - Dwight Gayle, 6mins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotherham 0-2 West Brom - Harvey Barnes, 21mins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derby 0-1 Bristol City - James Paterson, 26mins

Wigan 0-1 Birmingham - Che Adams, 26mins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mean to gloat but....we won a game of football.

It's mad seeing how talented our team is, the level of football we can play, and then see us just play this shit for so long.

Also, Said Benrahma is absolutely class. Cannot wait to see him with a bit more experience in this division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Danny said:

I don't mean to gloat but....we won a game of football.

It's mad seeing how talented our team is, the level of football we can play, and then see us just play this shit for so long.

Also, Said Benrahma is absolutely class. Cannot wait to see him with a bit more experience in this division.

Wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself. 

Brentford scraped past a collective of League One standard footballers managed by the unsackable Phil Parkinson, who have already fucked the season off and aren't prepared to fight anymore as the sweaty cretin that employs them doesn't bother paying them.

The club is so painfully shit, from top to bottom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StefBWFC said:

Wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself. 

Brentford scraped past a collective of League One standard footballers managed by the unsackable Phil Parkinson, who have already fucked the season off and aren't prepared to fight anymore as the sweaty cretin that employs them doesn't bother paying them.

The club is so painfully shit, from top to bottom. 

I was talking about our squad and season in general...but like I said, we won a game of football. That's all that matters at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't deserve to lose yesterday, but if your a Norwich fan you just know your going to be in for a good season when you nick matches like that late on. Norwich probably the best side we have faced this season - their movement and quality of passing is exceptional. We had to be switched on for the whole game, but sadly late on we lost their concentration along with some players (Evans off injured leaving Smallwood in central midfield on a yellow card and then Reed pulls a hamstring but has to stay on as no subs left). The players looked shattered at the end, we couldn't of asked for more effort from them. Danny Graham chasing back to defend with 10 mins left says it all.

Sadly, some of our squad don't buy into the ethos of the squad (Brereton and Palmer are two) and when they come on in matches they don't seem to put as much effort in or be up to speed with the tactics. Its interesting we have drew against 10 men after leading, then lost a 2-0 lead with 15 mins to go and again today lost with a late goal. The starting 11 seem to work their socks off and be tactically spot on, but then the subs come on and it all seems to go downhill.

I'd be happy to see Palmer go back to Chelsea in January. It hasn't worked out for him here, he doesn't really fit in with our style of play and comes across as very lazy always trying the show boat rather than sticking to the simple passes. He regularly loses the ball trying to do too much.

Cannot fault Smallwood, Graham, Reed and Bell in particular yesterday they were outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Epic comeback by Leeds. These are the moments that deliver promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute scenes for Leeds there. What a win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harvsky said:

Epic comeback by Leeds. These are the moments that deliver promotion.

In fairness they’ve had some luck here, Elmo absolute fuck up and Tuenzebe getting injured means we’ve had an inexperienced right back at centre back. We’ve been not as good as we can be, Grealish is a huge miss. They’ll be money spent in Jan to sort that defence out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell that must have been some game to watch, losing 2-0 at h/t then winning 2-3.      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Great strike. 

 

That and Townsends goal yesterday against City will definitely be up there for GOTS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right. How in the hell do you try to sum up a game like that? 

As chuffed to bits as I am, I know that would have felt sickening for @Fairy In Boots to lose so will try not to rub salt in the wound. Credit to them for their part in a terrific Championship game that most certainly wouldn't have been out of place in the PL on a Super Sunday. But today, feels me with immense pride to support Leeds United, something I have not been able to say much in the past couple decades. I am a very harsh critic of my club but I hold my head high on a day like today, proud to be a part of this amazing club.

First of all, I do think we completely deserved it. We have already seen Norwich nick another game late and West Brom win to put pressure on us before a ball is kicked. As the away team, we have gone to arguably the best side in the division on paper, had 62% of the ball, created double the attempts the home team have had, had not one, not two, but three penalties denied including two 'stonewallers' which were all agreed on by the Sky panel, and did it with the help of kids from our own academy who have come in, stood man to man with little experience and matched what was thrown at them.

Absolutely terrific test of our character. I didn't think we had that in us, especially at 2-0 down. Have to say I feared the worst before kick off when I heard Bamford was out and we lost Barry Douglas in the warm up to illness. I'm not going to harp on about injuries too much because I'm aware Villa didn't have Grealish and lost their RB too but we have been absolutely cursed this season. We do not have the strength in depth they have. Our bench today was all kids. It averaged 19 and a half years old. The lad Davis that played today literally found out he was starting 20mins before kick off and has never played for us before. That is how stretched we are.

Aside from the first 15mins and the first 10mins of the 2nd half, I was really impressed with how well we grasped control of the game and had Villa on the back foot. Rarely did we allow the likes of Kodija and Bolasie to be in a position to run at us out wide and we had a significant control of the game in the middle with Klich, Hernandez and Forshaw. The two goals against us at HT seemed harsh because it was pretty much all we'd allowed Villa to do whilst missing some openings ourselves. Credit to Bielsa for sticking to his guns with the system and credit for bringing on young Clarke for an inept Harrison. Ballsy but he trust's him.

Villa seemed absolutely shell shocked once we scored and were reeling for a good 20mins after that. We looked like scoring every time we came forward and that is all down to Bielsa and what he's done to this side. The energy levels and intensity to our play is brilliant for the level we are playing at. 

Villa had a couple dangerous moments in the last 10 minutes but I'd have felt completely mugged had we ended up losing. I was feeling philosophical about a draw even given how the game went, but at 2-0 down you always have to be thankful for coming back. As it was, that last minute drama was just indescribable. That is our leading moment of the season to date and could be a massive gamechanger in the long run.

Credit to the Villa manager for saying we were the better side. It is not nice losing big games on your own patch so kudos to him for that. Also, Lee Hendrie, Villa through and through, was extremely complimentary of us and how better we were so again, it's nice to come out a game without too much saltiness, excuses or moaning.

Top at Christmas and now we are faced with the dreaded stat that every team that has been top at Christmas since 2008 have gone on to win promotion. So this would be textbook Leeds United to fuck up now. If anyone can it is us you'd think.

But maybe, just maybe, Bielsa has installed a mentality in this club that will finally, finally take us back. And if we do, we'll have bloody deserved it. But we'll see. It's only half way now and I feel wiped. Onto the next one.

Good luck to Villa for the rest of the season. Long way to go yet. Fully expect them to be up there in May when they have Grealish back, splashed the cash at the back, and reinforced in January.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We came back too... 

Knew Bielsa would get Leeds up, one of the best managers in England, never mind the Championship. His teams have turned to burn out at some point but I don't see it this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lucas said:

Right. How in the hell do you try to sum up a game like that? 

As chuffed to bits as I am, I know that would have felt sickening for @Fairy In Boots to lose so will try not to rub salt in the wound. Credit to them for their part in a terrific Championship game that most certainly wouldn't have been out of place in the PL on a Super Sunday. But today, feels me with immense pride to support Leeds United, something I have not been able to say much in the past couple decades. I am a very harsh critic of my club but I hold my head high on a day like today, proud to be a part of this amazing club.

First of all, I do think we completely deserved it. We have already seen Norwich nick another game late and West Brom win to put pressure on us before a ball is kicked. As the away team, we have gone to arguably the best side in the division on paper, had 62% of the ball, created double the attempts the home team have had, had not one, not two, but three penalties denied including two 'stonewallers' which were all agreed on by the Sky panel, and did it with the help of kids from our own academy who have come in, stood man to man with little experience and matched what was thrown at them.

Absolutely terrific test of our character. I didn't think we had that in us, especially at 2-0 down. Have to say I feared the worst before kick off when I heard Bamford was out and we lost Barry Douglas in the warm up to illness. I'm not going to harp on about injuries too much because I'm aware Villa didn't have Grealish and lost their RB too but we have been absolutely cursed this season. We do not have the strength in depth they have. Our bench today was all kids. It averaged 19 and a half years old. The lad Davis that played today literally found out he was starting 20mins before kick off and has never played for us before. That is how stretched we are.

Aside from the first 15mins and the first 10mins of the 2nd half, I was really impressed with how well we grasped control of the game and had Villa on the back foot. Rarely did we allow the likes of Kodija and Bolasie to be in a position to run at us out wide and we had a significant control of the game in the middle with Klich, Hernandez and Forshaw. The two goals against us at HT seemed harsh because it was pretty much all we'd allowed Villa to do whilst missing some openings ourselves. Credit to Bielsa for sticking to his guns with the system and credit for bringing on young Clarke for an inept Harrison. Ballsy but he trust's him.

Villa seemed absolutely shell shocked once we scored and were reeling for a good 20mins after that. We looked like scoring every time we came forward and that is all down to Bielsa and what he's done to this side. The energy levels and intensity to our play is brilliant for the level we are playing at. 

Villa had a couple dangerous moments in the last 10 minutes but I'd have felt completely mugged had we ended up losing. I was feeling philosophical about a draw even given how the game went, but at 2-0 down you always have to be thankful for coming back. As it was, that last minute drama was just indescribable. That is our leading moment of the season to date and could be a massive gamechanger in the long run.

Credit to the Villa manager for saying we were the better side. It is not nice losing big games on your own patch so kudos to him for that. Also, Lee Hendrie, Villa through and through, was extremely complimentary of us and how better we were so again, it's nice to come out a game without too much saltiness, excuses or moaning.

Top at Christmas and now we are faced with the dreaded stat that every team that has been top at Christmas since 2008 have gone on to win promotion. So this would be textbook Leeds United to fuck up now. If anyone can it is us you'd think.

But maybe, just maybe, Bielsa has installed a mentality in this club that will finally, finally take us back. And if we do, we'll have bloody deserved it. But we'll see. It's only half way now and I feel wiped. Onto the next one.

Good luck to Villa for the rest of the season. Long way to go yet. Fully expect them to be up there in May when they have Grealish back, splashed the cash at the back, and reinforced in January.

I think you’ll win it, I’m more impressed with you than I was with Norwich who I felt for 60mins we had the beating of, we tired though and they came back. I think we’ll have to settle for playoffs now which is a shitter, I’m bullish about that though we’ve played everyone in the top 8 recently and arguably could have won all of them. 

Slightly negative but Smith touched on it, he said he felt the ref was poor because you guys did a lot of tactical fouls to stop or check our possession. I agree with Smith and it plays into the dirty Leeds trope but it’s effective, but I also agree about the penalty shouts so swings & roundabouts. 

I felt we were poor on the whole, Grealish knits it together and because of his absence we appeared over reliant on players dribbling to create space, looks great but their distribution was poor and often led to us losing possession. 

Defensively it’s a mess, not Smiths fault, entirely at the feet of the charlatan that’s going to take Wednesday for a ride.  We have 2 CB’s Tuenzebe did his metatarsal in training which is awful for us as he’s been impressive this year but will now go back to United. 

Chester isn’t 100% he’s carrying an injury, as are Hutton & Elmo who are both playing poorly and are generally poor anyway not, perfect mid to lower table players but not top of the championship. Elmo was at fault for at least 2 of the Leeds goals. 

The Keeper has been address so we must now address the whole back 4 and cover for Grealish who is out for a month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see our game. Sounded like an even game and as RG said these are the kind of games you win when you're confident, top/second in the league and have the in form striker in the league that loves a late goal.

Annoyed at Leeds winner, 2-2 would've been perfect. Until a week or so ago I was worried about villa going on a silly winning run and gatecrash the auto spots but after 2 points from 9 and us and Leeds keep winning the gap is pretty back now. Grealish out for a month fucks them too.

Leeds and Norwich seem to have such belief and winning mentality. I know us, Leeds and WBA are top 3 so it's hardly a genius prediction but I think us 3 have looked a lot better than the rest. Us and Leeds have better teams but WBA have some really good individuals and are always going to score shit loads of goals with Barnes and Gayle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Marc said:

I know us, Leeds and WBA are top 3 so it's hardly a genius prediction but I think us 3 have looked a lot better than the rest.

I still think your Norwich will nick the top spot and second will be either Leeds or WBA, Leeds always seem to go well and be up there with the mix but always seem to stutter as the season goes on but this Leeds manager Bielsa might just see Leeds back into the EPL, long way to go yet and the weather will get even colder which can affect some players and teams as per normal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement