talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2028 Bids

football forum

Italia '90 will always go down as one of the legendary World Cup's for many reason's.

And whilst I was too young for that tournament, I've seen enough highlight's and flashbacks to understand just how special hosting a big tournament would be for Italy, especially the passion and exuberance that they show for their national team.

Unless they are strongly opposed by another country with a superior claim to hosting, I'm totally for them getting it. It's about time really a big Footballing nation such as Italy had their opportunity to shine again and it would be a great chance for them to showcase and prove that Italy can host a big tournament without the troubles that used to surround them.

• Subscriber

I hope they get it. I remember growing up and watching a lot of Italian teams do well and to think they haven't hosted something as big as the WC in over two decades is a bit shocking to me. They have the culture, they have the history and they have produced some entertaining and world class moments for the sport.

I wonder if they national team will be revamped in time for it as well because I genuinely like seeing them do well.

• 3 years later...

Villa Park, Birmingham,
Everton Stadium, Liverpool
London Stadium, London
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London
Wembley Stadium, London
City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester
St James' Park, Newcastle
Stadium of Light, Sunderland
Old Trafford, Trafford
Dublin Arena, Dublin
Croke Park, Dublin
Casement Park Stadium, Belfast
Hampden Park, Glasgow
National Stadium of Wales, Cardiff

Edited by ScoRoss

Not sure why Celtic Park and Ibrox have been missed out?

Don’t need 3 stadiums in London or two in Mancester if key cities are being missed out elsewhere.

Don’t need two in Dublin when you could use a stadium in the south of Ireland.

How have both Sunderland and Newcastle made the list but nothing in Bristol?

31 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not sure why Celtic Park and Ibrox have been missed out?

Don’t need 3 stadiums in London or two in Mancester if key cities are being missed out elsewhere.

Don’t need two in Dublin when you could use a stadium in the south of Ireland.

How have both Sunderland and Newcastle made the list but nothing in Bristol?

If Celtic Park and Ibrox were included, that would be three stadiums in Glasgow. Any bid from the SFA would include Hampden (a hopefully redeveloped Hampden), and there would be no end to the shambles it would cause if they picked only one of the others as well.

Personally, if Hampden isn't going to be redeveloped, I'd rather have the other two instead. But the SFA were always going to include their own stadium.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

If Celtic Park and Ibrox were included, that would be three stadiums in Glasgow. Any bid from the SFA would include Hampden (a hopefully redeveloped Hampden), and there would be no end to the shambles it would cause if they picked only one of the others as well.

Personally, if Hampden isn't going to be redeveloped, I'd rather have the other two instead. But the SFA were always going to include their own stadium.

For some reason I thought Hampden was in Edinburgh...makes sense. Still think stadiums could be better shared around Ireland and England though.

14 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Didn't local councils have to put their cities forward in conjunction with the stadium owners? It wasn't just some bloke picking what he wanted. The list will also be reduced down in April.

Yeah but that doesn’t make for as good a moaning session

5 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Sunderland is a left field shout to be fair. You wonder what Leeds and Sheffield did.

Brighton, Bristol, Norwich…could have been shared out across England a lot more by removing 4 stadiums from Manchester, London and the North East.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Brighton, Bristol, Norwich…could have been shared out across England a lot more by removing 4 stadiums from Manchester, London and the North East.

To be fair 4 have to be dropped from the list, other than 1 of the Dublin one's the other 3 will have to come from England. Once you drop Sunderland, West Ham and Man City there's just no way Brighton or Norwich would ever be able to compete with what the remaining bring in location and stadia.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Villa Park, Birmingham,
London Stadium, London
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London
Wembley Stadium, London
City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester
Stadium of Light, Sunderland
Old Trafford, Trafford
Dublin Arena, Dublin
Croke Park, Dublin
Hampden Park, Glasgow
National Stadium of Wales, Cardiff

Three Championship stadiums, very inclusive.

• Haha 2

England
Villa Park, Birmingham,
Wembley Stadium, London
Old Trafford, Trafford
Elland Road, Leeds
Falmer Stadium, Brighton

ROI
Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork
Croke Park, Dublin

NI

Scotland
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Wales
National
 Stadium of Wales, Cardiff
Swansea Stadium, Swansea

That is a better spread I reckon

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

England
Villa Park, Birmingham,
Wembley Stadium, London
Old Trafford, Trafford
Elland Road, Leeds
Falmer Stadium, Brighton

ROI
Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork
Croke Park, Dublin

NI

Scotland
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Wales
National
 Stadium of Wales, Cardiff
Swansea Stadium, Swansea

That is a better spread I reckon

The Aviva is the national stadium in Ireland, has to be in there. Only chance it won’t get used is if it’s down to that or Croke Park imo. But it would be great to see them bring the comp down to Cork.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

The Aviva is the national stadium in Ireland, has to be in there. Only chance it won’t get used is if it’s down to that or Croke Park imo. But it would be great to see them bring the comp down to Cork.

I just feel like these are festivals for people to enjoy. Yeah, I know England has the most stadiums and people, and London even more so but there is a lot of culture and places out in the UK and Ireland that never get the same love. Spread it out, as many cities should be involved as possible.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I just feel like these are festivals for people to enjoy. Yeah, I know England has the most stadiums and people, and London even more so but there is a lot of culture and places out in the UK and Ireland that never get the same love. Spread it out, as many cities should be involved as possible.

Tbh wouldnt surprise me if they did choose Croke Park over everything as it’d become a poignant moment in Irish history sharing the tournament with Britain.

But yeah I agree, spread it out as much as you can. Could probs leave Swansea out though, only an hour or so away from Cardiff

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Tbh wouldnt surprise me if they did choose Croke Park over everything as it’d become a poignant moment in Irish history sharing the tournament with Britain.

But yeah I agree, spread it out as much as you can. Could probs leave Swansea out though, only an hour or so away from Cardiff

But that is the entire country. Liverpool is even closer to Manchester than that.

4 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

If you're going to do it right then 1 per region in England. South East, South West, London, East Midlands, West Midlands, Yorkshire, North West, North East

Not leaving 2 for Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland?