talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2028 Bids

football forum

• 4 months later...

1. Wembley Stadium (London) (capacity 90,652)

2. Principality Stadium (Cardiff) (73,952)

3. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London) (62,322)

4. Etihad Stadium (Manchester) (61,000)

5. Everton Stadium (Liverpool) (52,679)

6. St James' Park (Newcastle) (52,305)

7. Villa Park (Birmingham) (52,190)

8. Hampden Park (Glasgow) (52,032)

9. Aviva Stadium (Dublin) (51,711)

10. Casement Park (Belfast) (34,500)

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

1. Wembley Stadium (London) (capacity 90,652)

2. Principality Stadium (Cardiff) (73,952)

3. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London) (62,322)

4. Etihad Stadium (Manchester) (61,000)

5. Everton Stadium (Liverpool) (52,679)

6. St James' Park (Newcastle) (52,305)

7. Villa Park (Birmingham) (52,190)

8. Hampden Park (Glasgow) (52,032)

9. Aviva Stadium (Dublin) (51,711)

10. Casement Park (Belfast) (34,500)

Murrayfield here in Scotland has a seating capacity of 67,144, wonder why that was not considered? even Celtic Park (gulp) has 60,411.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Murrayfield here in Scotland has a seating capacity of 67,144, wonder why that was not considered? even Celtic Park (gulp) has 60,411.

Presumably only wanted one stadium in Scotland.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66338138

Turkey has requested to merge its bid to host Euro 2032 with Italy, potentially boosting the UK and Republic of Ireland's chances of hosting the tournament in 2028.

While Italy had only bid for the 2032 tournament, Turkey had bid to host both Euro 2028 and 2032.

Turkey's solo bid for 2028 remains as a rival to the UK and Republic of Ireland's five-nation bid.

Uefa will choose the hosts for both tournaments on 10 October.

It is likely that Turkey will not officially withdraw from the bidding process for Euro 2028 until their joint bid is approved by Uefa, but if and when that does happen, the UK and Ireland bid would be left unopposed.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) said the decision to merge with Turkey followed a "complex and fruitful consultation process" and pointed to other successful joint bids at previous Euros, the upcoming World Cup in 2026 in the US, Canada and Mexico and the UK and Republic's bid for 2028.

"[They] show that sharing events of this magnitude represents, on the one hand, a route for the direct involvement of a higher number of fans and, on the other, the search for an even more efficient and sustainable design," the FIGC said.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina added: "We are facing a historic turning point that aims to enhance continental football. Football wants to be an ideal bridge for sharing passions and emotions related to sport."

European football's governing body says it will work with both the Turkish and Italian federations to "ensure that the documentation to be submitted for their joint bid is compliant with the bidding requirements.

"If the joint bid does comply with such requirements, it will be submitted to the UEFA Executive Committee at the meeting scheduled on 10 October, where the appointments for 2028 and 2032 will be made. Decisions on venues and match schedules will be made at a later stage," Uefa said.

54 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Given the climate crisis we can't have a summer tournament in the med ever again. It needs to just rotate between Scotland and Iceland. :ph34r:

What about Greenland?

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Stan said:

Sounds like it'll be heading here to UK & Ireland...

Apparently we may still have to qualify. If none of the hosts qualify the two best placed teams will qualify. It's not conformed but it's been suggested. Which does make a certain amount of sense considering it's 5 countries 

So Euro 2028 will be UK & Ireland, as in all 5 footballing bits, if anyone not from the area are unsure.

A World Cup would have been ideal, but sounds like that's leaving Europe every 8 years as a distant memory, with Saudi Arabia supposedly favourites to get 1 soon.

Euro 2028 stadiums: England: Wembley, The Etihad, Tottenham Stadium, St James's Park, Villa Park, the in progress Everton Bramley-Moore Dock stadium, Scotlands: Hampden Park, Cardiffs: Principality Stadium, Aviva Stadium - Dublin, Casement Park - Belfast.

Obviously the final & a potential England path to it, at Wembley.

To get this after the multi location, Euro 2020/21. And the perception it could be a long time before England would get a look in. Is there a lack of interest in hosting the tournaments?

I know the Commonwealth Games is having problems finding hosts, but kind of assumed European football would be a more competitive process?

• Administrator

I'm surprised Anfield hasn't been selected. I know Bramley-Moore Dock is/will be brand new, but it's also not like Anfield is a dive given all the new development and expansion. 

Glad Villa Park has been chosen. Am I right in thinking that'd be the only English stadium on this list that was also host at Euro 96? (not counting Wembley as that's obviously been rebuilt). 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm surprised Anfield hasn't been selected. I know Bramley-Moore Dock is/will be brand new, but it's also note like Anfield is a dive given all the new development and expansion. 

Glad Villa Park has been chosen. Am I right in thinking that'd be the only English stadium on this list that was also host at Euro 96? (not counting Wembley as that's obviously been rebuilt). 

Old Trafford did. Has it been chosen ?

14 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm surprised Anfield hasn't been selected. I know Bramley-Moore Dock is/will be brand new, but it's also note like Anfield is a dive given all the new development and expansion. 

Pitch is too small to host UEFA finals and internationals I think

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm surprised Anfield hasn't been selected. I know Bramley-Moore Dock is/will be brand new, but it's also not like Anfield is a dive given all the new development and expansion. 

Both Villa Park & St James's were used at Euro 96.

If Wembley is discounted as being a totally new 2nd stadium, then Villa Park's one unique claim could be that it will be the only 1 to have been used for 1966, 1996 & 2028.

1966: Wembley, Old Trafford, Hillsborough, Villa Park, Goodison Park, Ayresome Park, Roker Park & White City Stadium (apparently a 1908 London Olympics Stadium & then a greyhound racing venue, until it closed)

1996: Wembley, Old Trafford, Hillsborough, Villa Park, Anfield, Elland Road, St James's Park & The City Ground

• Upvote 1