talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Danny Drinkwater - Chelsea to Burnley On Loan

• Administrator

Aside from @Cicero asserting that he is a perve....where will his next club be?

Sarri says he won't be in his team i.e. registered for the squad in January.

Surely he has to move if he truly values his career at least equally than he does the money he's sitting on?

Where should/would he go?

I'd take him back at Leicester as I think he'd be a good player for any team outside the traditional top 6. Needs to get his career back on track. If anyone was kinda new to football they'd find it hard to believe he was on the verge of an England call up in summer 2016...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bar none the most pointless signing in a decade. That 2017 transfer window was our worst to date. Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, and Zappacosta for almost 170 million, whilst City get Walker, Mendy, B.Silva, and Danilo for a similar amount. It's no wonder how they are miles away from us. 

Drinkwater to me looks like he really doesn't mind wasting his career away so long he gets paid at the end of the week. I would be amazed if he left in January. 

• Subscriber

Danny Drinkwater: Chelsea midfielder's future up to him and club - Maurizio Sarri

3 hours ago | Chelsea

Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri says there is no place for Danny Drinkwater in his team with his tactics - but he will not make a decision on the £35m midfielder's future himself.

The 28-year-old has only played once under Sarri, a 30-minute cameo against Manchester City in the Community Shield in August.

Sarri plays a 4-3-3, in contrast to predecessor Antonio Conte's 3-4-3.

"I think for him the problem is only my football," said Sarri.

"He's a very good midfielder but he is suitable for a midfield two because with a three he is not really a central midfielder or suitable for centre right or centre left."

When asked about Drinkwater's future at the club, Sarri added: "I don't know. It depends on the club, it's up to him."

The England international made 22 appearances for the club last season following his move from Leicester City.

Earlier this season, fellow midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek had trouble getting into Chelsea's squad, with Sarri saying: "At the beginning of the season he was a very good player and now he is a good player that is more suited to my style of football.

"We have a tactical problem with the midfielders. We have four midfielders [not including Drinkwater] and three of them have the same characteristics."

But the 22-year-old has now played in their last four Premier League matches since adjusting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46650810

• Subscriber

Drinkwater's a decent player but ultimately not good enough for the top clubs and that's been the case now on two occasions. We're obviously going to be linked, I'd consider it on loan but on a permanent I think we'd be falling into a trap. No guarantees he's the same player we sold to them, two years older where he's barely kicked a ball and likely on a six figure a week wage. Would point to some fundamental problems in our recruitment to me although that's nothing new.

On 21/12/2018 at 14:10, Cicero said:

Bar none the most pointless signing in a decade. That 2017 transfer window was our worst to date. Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, and Zappacosta for almost 170 million, whilst City get Walker, Mendy, B.Silva, and Danilo for a similar amount. It's no wonder how they are miles away from us. 

Drinkwater to me looks like he really doesn't mind wasting his career away so long he gets paid at the end of the week. I would be amazed if he left in January. 

Also Conte type players. Spend all that money only to sack the manager anyway. Then a new manager with a different philosophy comes in. Brilliant forward thinking by the club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Linked with Roma

Also, get this. 

Danny Drinkwater's last professional appearance was (April 2018), he has earned almost £5,000,000 since then. 

Like I said, there needs to be a firing squad for our board. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Danny Drinkwater - Chelsea to Burnley On Loan
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.3bac871c20acfcefc3dec61b46eda95c.png

Danny Drinkwater: Burnley midfielder out for two weeks after nightclub fight

Burnley midfielder Danny Drinkwater will be out for two weeks after sustaining ankle ligament damage in a nightclub fight.

The 29-year-old, who is on loan from Chelsea, was reportedly attacked hours after the Clarets' 3-0 defeat by Liverpool on Saturday, 31 August.

Drinkwater is currently unable to train on grass following the incident according to Burnley boss Sean Dyche.

"They are human beings and people do get in scrapes," Dyche said.

"He's old enough and wise enough to know you do whatever you can to try not to get into scrapes but sometimes it happens.

"He is part of us. We have to work with him and help him get realigned to where he was and where he wants to be. We have talked to him and the rest will remain private."

The former Leicester midfielder has been restricted to one appearance this season and was pictured with facial injuries following the incident.

"We've had a chat with him and said, what happened first of all? What was the situation that led to it? OK, let's move away from that, now where to do we go from here? That's where we're at," Dyche added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49679613

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c6fa704e0837e1d1d1b43080ef62b8df.png

Burnley boss Sean Dyche says it is too early to know whether England midfielder Danny Drinkwater, 29, will be at the club beyond January. Drinkwater is on loan from Chelsea but has not played for the Clarets' first team since suffering ankle ligament damage in a nightclub fight in September. (Sky Sports)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived