talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Netflix sporting Documentary thread

football forum

A thread for recommendations on any kind of sporting documentary on Netflix. 

My recommendations:

Bobby Robson more than a manager. 

Really good, flips back and forth a lot between his career and his time at Barca. He’s a genuinely lovely bloke it appears. 

Building Jerusalem

great story of Clive Woodwood taking an amateur England rugby team embracing professionalism and ultimately winning the World Cup. 

The Barkley Marathons

sadistic trail runners compete in the marathon that in something stupid like 25 events only 11 have finished. 

Karl Meltzer: Broken

Another crazy trail runner, attempts to do 2000 Miles  in 45 days down the Appalachian trail. 

The Redeemed & the dominant

the story of the 2017 cross fit games. It’s like worlds strongest man but instead they’re doing all kinds of physical tasks. It’s worth watching for the Icelandic female athletes alone. 

Valley Uprising

the world of solo climbing, BASE jumping & mountain climbing out in Yosemite National Park. Worth watching for the intro to Alex Honnold who is if you didn’t know is the Michael Jordon of free soloing mountain climbing with no rope. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunderland Till I Die - first episode includes Sunderland fans thinking they’re a big club and that Watford is a middle class metropolis, followed by slow motion action shots of their first pre-season friendly losing 3 - 0 to Celtic.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Sunderland Till I Die - first episode includes Sunderland fans thinking they’re a big club and that Watford is a middle class metropolis, followed by slow motion action shots of their first pre-season friendly losing 3 - 0 to Celtic.

To be fair Watford is not exactly a working class club. 

From the first 2 episodes I honestly don't think the city is coming out of this looking good though. Considering the artistic license being used to fake an atmosphere or goal celebration they could at least stop portraying Sunderland as a complete backwash.

Still, you can see how they went down even at the beginning of the season. Grayson's team talks are nonsense. The players are beating themselves up over a friendly and the club arrange a sponsors dinner where two of their senior players have to stand there whilst sponsors slate everything about the team.

24 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

From the first 2 episodes I honestly don't think the city is coming out of this looking good though. Considering the artistic license being used to fake an atmosphere or goal celebration they could at least stop portraying Sunderland as a complete backwash.

Still, you can see how they went down even at the beginning of the season. Grayson's team talks are nonsense. The players are beating themselves up over a friendly and the club arrange a sponsors dinner where two of their senior players have to stand there whilst sponsors slate everything about the team.

Watford is a fairly normal/working class area. No docks/ship building, but their name was dropped alongside Cambridge ffs 😂

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Marc said:

I've been meaning to watch the Bobby Robson doc and the Clive Woodward one sounds good too. He changed Rugby.

Are there any good Mt Everest docs? That fucking mountain intrigues me 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3746250/

Try this one. I'd say watch The Summit too if you can but that Sherpa documentary is much better.

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

Watford is a fairly normal/working class area. No docks/ship building, but their name was dropped alongside Cambridge ffs 😂

Oh yeah it doesn't match Cambridge but I don't think there's much working class culture left. It's a family club now. They have a bloke dressed as a hornet break dancing and banging a drum. 

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Oh yeah it doesn't match Cambridge but I don't think there's much working class culture left. It's a family club now. They have a bloke dressed as a hornet break dancing and banging a drum. 

I just meant Watford as an area mate. Hate mascots doing weird shit.

But “family clubs” keep clubs alive more than the usual large working class following, don’t get enough credit 

A bit of topic but I did watch this documentary on skysports news about black baseball players who formed their own league because they couldn't play in the MBA. Called America's sporting shame. Worth watching if you have half hour to spare.

On 24/12/2018 at 11:52, Harvsky said:

When you’re being led by people as incompetent as Martin Bain and Simon Grayson, it’s little wonder the fans weren’t happy. Bain comes across as a parody, if you didn’t know any better, you’d think he was an actor from some Alan Partridge or The Office skit and Simon Grayson’s team talks were nonsense, as you say. 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived