7th Place...   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will finish 7th?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 24/12/2018 at 08:51, SirBalon said:

I think that women are right for criticising men for being rather odd to be honest.

So we're talking about qualifying for a competition that most spend half the time complaining or even joking about for an abundance of reasons.

Not me personally. I want us in it. Will give me some memorable away trips.

26 minutes ago, Dan said:

Not me personally. I want us in it. Will give me some memorable away trips.

As it should be. Not all this crap you get about it distracting your club from its league form. Who cares if it does? Southampton, West Ham and Newcastle away will all still be there next season. European Football and the stories it can create may not be.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

As it should be. Not all this crap you get about it distracting your club from its league form. Who cares if it does? Southampton, West Ham and Newcastle away will all still be there next season. European Football and the stories it can create may not be.

People don't realise that by doing this, they actually create a cycle which they can't break out of. If we aren't ready for the Europa League now, then when will we be? "Lets not qualify for the Europa and focus on.... oh".

This league, particularly in midtable gets pretty boring pretty quickly. A return to Europe would be fantastic for a club like us and we shouldn't turn it down even if it's not quite the Champions League. We blew it big time last year for me and this matchday has put us in the ascendancy this year as well, although it's probably too tight to say that.

• Subscriber

West Ham are a good price at about 6/1. Might back that.

I thought Everton would seal it but they're in dreadful form and they looked so bad against us the other day.

If we can crack beating the defensive sides at home, we'll do it.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

No disrespect to the fans of clubs in those positions but there’s really no stand out teams in that list, is there? All of them are equally as decent at times and at other times, utterly woeful.

You're not wrong. No side ever builds up a real good run of form and get momentum/consistency. It's win a few, lose a few and perhaps a draw thrown in any kind of run. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

You're not wrong. No side ever builds up a real good run of form and get momentum/consistency. It's win a few, lose a few and perhaps a draw thrown in any kind of run. 

We're truly terrible for it. We've done it a lot of times under Puel, built up some hope then blown it with a loss against someone awful.

I'd like to hope we've turned a corner though. 3 wins in 4 given the fixtures is a fantastic return and we've got another few games coming up where we are likely to be in a similar situation - Wolves seem to suffer from the exact same kinds of issues as us and we can win there I think.

I think if we get in a quality box to box midfielder and an alternative striker (this may even end up being Slimani) then we have a very good chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

No-one wants 7th  xD 

Watford, Wolves, Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Bournemouth at the moment is the order from 7th to 12th and those who have a realistic chance of getting 7th. 3 points separating the 6 sides. Only 2 of those 6 won yesterday.

Next round of fixtures for all:

Tottenham vs Watford
Wolves vs West Ham
Liverpool vs Leicester :dash3: 
Huddersfield vs Everton
Bournemouth vs Chelsea

Can see all the home teams and Everton winning.

• Subscriber

It really is last year all over again where it feels like whoever gets 7th is getting it by default.

I'm pretty confident it won't be us. I think we'll be about 11th/12th.

I've gone with Wolves. West Ham a decent outside shout. Interesting how Watford in 7th don't actually have a single vote.

• Subscriber
On 03/01/2019 at 23:14, Dan said:

We're truly terrible for it. We've done it a lot of times under Puel, built up some hope then blown it with a loss against someone awful.

I'd like to hope we've turned a corner though. 3 wins in 4 given the fixtures is a fantastic return and we've got another few games coming up where we are likely to be in a similar situation - Wolves seem to suffer from the exact same kinds of issues as us and we can win there I think.

I think if we get in a quality box to box midfielder and an alternative striker (this may even end up being Slimani) then we have a very good chance.

Didn't age well. Three defeats since this, two of them complete scandals on our part and one which exposed many of our flaws again. If we come 7th this year then this league's abysmal.

Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Bournemouth can’t buy a win lately and they’re between two and three points off 7th. It really is a plethora of mediocrity in that area of the table.  

You’d think that it’s got to be between Watford and Wolves for seventh but they’ve shown in equal measure, like the club’s above, that they can go through some stinking periods too, so it’s really not over. 

Everton, Leicester and West Ham are probably going to the most disappointed if they don’t finish seventh this year, everyone else will still see it as a successful season even if they don’t finish seventh. 

18 hours ago, Dan said:

It really is last year all over again where it feels like whoever gets 7th is getting it by default.

I'm pretty confident it won't be us. I think we'll be about 11th/12th.

I've gone with Wolves. West Ham a decent outside shout. Interesting how Watford in 7th don't actually have a single vote.

Good cause too IMO. Traditionally tend to have an absolute stinking second half of the season and fade badly. Not sure why.

Could be because they tend to have a big influx of foreigners, and usually some that are quite new to the demands of the English season without much breaks. Could be psychological. Could even be because they don't scream like they have too many leaders to get a grip of things when in a rut, but it generally seems to go a little tits up for them as the season gets tougher.

Solid bet would be Wolves. Very inconsistent, as most of these teams are, but for me look the best footballing team. If West Ham keep Arnautovic, they have a great shout although their injury record is usually horrendous.

If they could name their first choice eleven for four or five games in a row, they would do it for me but the strength in depth let's them down.

I've not seen anything about Everton to suggest they'll radically change. Pretty bland. and Leicester/fans won't get behind Puel. Not enough togetherness.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Wolves lose to Huddersfield to open things back up. Watford will most likely lose to Liverpool tomorrow and West Ham the same vs City. Bournemouth the same vs Arsenal.

If so, would leave Watford and Wolves joint on 40, Everton and West Ham 4 points behind, Leicester 5 points behind with a new manager and Bournemouth 6 points behind.

Still think it goes to Wolves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

8 games left and Newcastle enter the fray, perhaps at the expense of Brighton...

image.png

Key fixtures coming up involving the same sides:

16th March
Bournemouth vs Newcastle

30th March
Leicester vs Bournemouth
West Ham vs Everton

12th April
Leicester vs Newcastle

20th April
West Ham vs Leicester

27th April
Watford vs Wolves

12th May
Watford vs West Ham

Palace and Brighton are on 33 points but are more likely to be dragged in to the relegation survival scrap as opposed to challenge 7th unless there's a swing in momentum to win several games in a row.

Could say same about Newcastle who are only a point above them but stranger things have happened xD 

Noticed Man Utd could have a big say in who ends up where - they play 4 games against the sides in the hunt for 7th ( the most out of the top 6)
Man Utd have Watford, Wolves, West Ham & Everton

Arsenal have 3 against them - Everton, Watford, Leicester
Tottenham have 3 as well - West Ham, Bournemouth & Everton

Equally, the mid-table sides could have just as much a say on who finishes top 4.

Will update again when there's a few games to go, probably get a better picture of who will finish where as more gaps might open up.

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Newcastle aren't in the hunt. It's down to Wolves or Watford. I could see Leicester having a late run but don't know whether their fixtures are generous enough.

75% certain it will be Wolves.

They are before our final 3. 

Those 3 being Arsenal, Man City & Chelsea.

Since we played Tottenham on 10th Feb, we've played Palace, Brighton & Fulham only winning 2 of them. Then we have Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Newcastle & West Ham.

If we want to have any serious chance of finishing 7th, we have to be looking at going unbeaten in that run before that final 3.

For me, it's Wolves who will get it. They just seem organised enough and have the best squad to compete. Perhaps relies on how seriously they want to take the FA Cup as well though...

• Subscriber

We've got a generous run but it still remains to be seen whether we can open up a stubborn defence. OK we beat a shit side at home last week but Fulham and Huddersfield are frankly out of their depth.

Expect us to finish about 10th. Would be amazed if we got 7th in all honesty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

It's all open again. Leicester have gone level on points with Wolves on 44, though Wolves have a game in hand against Manchester United in midweek. Watford (43) also have a game in hand against Fulham at home on Tuesday which you'd expect them to win and go onto 46 points.

West Ham (42) and Everton (40) to play later today, the winner will come right into contention and West Ham could even move to 7th tonight with a win.

Probably as open now as it's been for a few months with Wolves winning just one of their last six league games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

20190411_203856.thumb.jpg.c43547d2edcef675a86ab8065e3e0df7.jpg

With West Ham losing to Everton and Chelsea in their last two games, and the other four sides above them in good form, it looks like a four horse race now. Leicester have the points on the board, Everton have the potentially decisive goal difference, and Wolves and Watford have a game in hand each.

Leicester have won their last four games, admittedly against fairly generous opposition, and will be expected to make it five on the bounce against Newcastle on Friday.

Everton have won their last three without conceding and visit relegated Fulham on Saturday, also expecting to continue their own winning streak.

Wolves face a trickier task with a visit to Southampton. Nuno's men haven't won a league game on the road in over two months while Saints form is also somewhat inconsistent. Wolves' game in hand comes against Arsenal as well so for the first time in a while they look like outsiders for 7th place, though the Gunners could find themselves distracted by their European commitments at this stage in the season.

Watford have won every game against non-top 6 opponents in the last 2 months, including a confidence-boosting semi final win in the FA Cup. This weekend they wait until Monday night before a tricky tie against Arsenal at Vicarage Road. Their game in hand is against Southampton, also at home.

Leicester look the best bet for 7th place based on current form, but have to face Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City in their remaining four games after this weekend.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

20190411_203856.thumb.jpg.c43547d2edcef675a86ab8065e3e0df7.jpg

With West Ham losing to Everton and Chelsea in their last two games, and the other four sides above them in good form, it looks like a four horse race now. Leicester have the points on the board, Everton have the potentially decisive goal difference, and Wolves and Watford have a game in hand each.

Leicester have won their last four games, admittedly against fairly generous opposition, and will be expected to make it five on the bounce against Newcastle on Friday.

Everton have won their last three without conceding and visit relegated Fulham on Saturday, also expecting to continue their own winning streak.

Wolves face a trickier task with a visit to Southampton. Nuno's men haven't won a league game on the road in over two months while Saints form is also somewhat inconsistent. Wolves' game in hand comes against Arsenal as well so for the first time in a while they look like outsiders for 7th place, though the Gunners could find themselves distracted by their European commitments at this stage in the season.

Watford have won every game against non-top 6 opponents in the last 2 months, including a confidence-boosting semi final win in the FA Cup. This weekend they wait until Monday night before a tricky tie against Arsenal at Vicarage Road. Their game in hand is against Southampton, also at home.

Leicester look the best bet for 7th place based on current form, but have to face Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City in their remaining four games after this weekend.

Based on that you'd think that Leicester are out of the running because of their run of games. I think its between Wolves and Everton realistically since Watford will have to play Arsenal and may not make the jump in points to their favour. I fully expect Wolves to take advantage of the tie considering their exit in the cup semi and push for that seventh spot now.

The interesting thing here is that even though Everton are on a good run of late they still have to play United and an away fixture to Spurs who are both vying for a top 4 slot and I can't see them letting that slip in the hopes that Arsenal slowly drop out of that race. I think its great that there is so much ambiguity about who ends up in that seventh spot and I still think its Wolves. I just hope they don't fuck us over on the last day of the season even if its an away game for them.

Archived