• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Will Finish 7th?

7th Place...   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will finish 7th?

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Rumour has it, West Ham wanted one for 10th but aren't happy it's more expensive.

Quibbling over the price I believe, given they have to pay for two digits on their trophy.

They're probably cash-strapped as well from all those stadium costs. 

Oh wait... 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Dan said:

A place where there are Leicester and Everton fans, and from next season, Arsenal & Manchester United fans too.

Hahaha... Trust me, I won't be debating Arsenal coming 7th mate. It's out of my zone on expectations for the club and they've lost range and reception.

All the same, it is really funny debating 7th. Maybe a thrad for 8th and 9th?

• Administrator
5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Hahaha... Trust me, I won't be debating Arsenal coming 7th mate. It's out of my zone on expectations for the club and they've lost range and reception.

Isn't 7th generally discussed a lot on these shores because of the potential for European places? I know it may happen in Spain as well but because 7th is also the closest to breaking the glass ceiling of the top 6 here that's why it gets discussed a lot. And even more so considering 5/6th this year could have been easily attainable had it not been for severe inconsistency from the likes of Wolves, Everton. Leicester, West Ham etc...

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I find this an odd opinion. Given that the top six is basically unattainable for the rest of the league you've got to have something to discuss otherwise the rest of the league may as well just go home. I'm surprised to read this opinion from you because it's more in keeping with the European Super League train of thought where only the big teams are worthy of anyone's discussion.

If there's no point in discussing who comes 7th, then what's the point in discussing who comes 4th? Who's going to stay up? What's happening in League One? Are things just not worth discussing if it's not the top six?

The thread isn't about 7th being anything special, it's just that there's a cluster of teams in that area of the league who are pretty close and all they can realistically aim for is to finish at the head of their peers.

• Subscriber

Others have covered it really @SirBalon, while England gets 7 European places and we appear to be going through a period where there's a big gap between 6th and 7th, meaning that the others simply have a European spot to play for.

I can tell you I hope we make it, or better. I'm not one of these who wants to avoid European football.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Isn't 7th generally discussed a lot on these shores because of the potential for European places? I know it may happen in Spain as well but because 7th is also the closest to breaking the glass ceiling of the top 6 here that's why it gets discussed a lot. And even more so considering 5/6th this year could have been easily attainable had it not been for severe inconsistency from the likes of Wolves, Everton. Leicester, West Ham etc...

I know mate... I was just being facetious to be honest. Although it has to be said that we talk alot about qualifying for the Europa League and then spend the season calling it a mickey mouse cup and crap because it’s played on Thursdays.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I find this an odd opinion. Given that the top six is basically unattainable for the rest of the league you've got to have something to discuss otherwise the rest of the league may as well just go home. I'm surprised to read this opinion from you because it's more in keeping with the European Super League train of thought where only the big teams are worthy of anyone's discussion.

If there's no point in discussing who comes 7th, then what's the point in discussing who comes 4th? Who's going to stay up? What's happening in League One? Are things just not worth discussing if it's not the top six?

The thread isn't about 7th being anything special, it's just that there's a cluster of teams in that area of the league who are pretty close and all they can realistically aim for is to finish at the head of their peers.

Great post!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I know mate... I was just being facetious to be honest. Although it has to be said that we talk alot about qualifying for the Europa League and then spend the season calling it a mickey mouse cup and crap because it’s played on Thursdays.

'we' being clubs that usually play in Champions League.

I don't think anyone else calls it that (not on here anyway) and yeah Thursdays are an inconvenience but in the grand scheme of things, doesn't bother me. I'd love some more European nights at the KP and trips away!

• Subscriber

I've always liked the Europa League. This season has been an exception but usually you see better and more varied match ups in the Europa League than the Champions League to be honest.

European football of any form can hinder your domestic campaign. That's not limited to the Europa League. I remember Liverpool finishing 5th last time they won it, and Chelsea finishing the same (or lower?) the year they won it. You could also argue that Leicesters Champions League campaign affected their league season, I don't know if it did or not at all but you can guarantee that if they were in the Europa League that season the general observers would have blamed it on the European distraction.

People, including our own fans, think that the Europa League 'did us in' to an extent under Koeman but it didn't. We would have been just as shite with those players, tactics and circumstances if we weren't in Europe.

Definitely a worthwhile competition, I wouldn't consider it mickey mouse when you've got top 4 teams from Spain and England, or teams like Ajax, contending the final every year.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I've always liked the Europa League. This season has been an exception but usually you see better and more varied match ups in the Europa League than the Champions League to be honest.

European football of any form can hinder your domestic campaign. That's not limited to the Europa League. I remember Liverpool finishing 5th last time they won it, and Chelsea finishing the same (or lower?) the year they won it. You could also argue that Leicesters Champions League campaign affected their league season, I don't know if it did or not at all but you can guarantee that if they were in the Europa League that season the general observers would have blamed it on the European distraction.

People, including our own fans, think that the Europa League 'did us in' to an extent under Koeman but it didn't. We would have been just as shite with those players, tactics and circumstances if we weren't in Europe.

Definitely a worthwhile competition, I wouldn't consider it mickey mouse when you've got top 4 teams from Spain and England, or teams like Ajax, contending the final every year.

It's true that European football can hinder a domestic campaign, but that's something you'd want your club to work at... to be able to manage a European campaign as well as a domestic campaign. Because that's part of progressing as a club - once you make the CL you want to show that you're going to take the competition seriously to the players you're trying to bring in and say "well we can offer you CL football" because if you've got a history of being awful in Europe, prospective players might be much less inclined to want to go to you.

That's why if Leicester make Europe, for their sake, I'd hope that Rodgers has finally learned how to take European competition seriously and not treat those matches as glorified friendlies in between league matches.

• Subscriber

I think not wanting to be in Europe is a negative attitude that can spiral. I think once you start telling yourself that it's a hindrance and that you can't cope you just give off that vibe that there's very little about you as a club.

Ultimately, what truly is there if you aren't in the Europa League? Simply being in the Premier League, while obviously it becomes a necessity the longer you're in it, doesn't really have that much going for it if you aren't making a genuine effort to progress.

West Brom are a perfect example. They were in the league for eight years and what did they have to show for it? Wolves have quite literally done more than them in one year than they did in eight.

What did West Brom do? They appointed managers to keep them up with little else (did they even get as far as a quarter final in a cup in that period?), eventually saw their crowds gradually drop and eventually dropped in pathetic circumstances to the point they were the ones that nobody wanted back up as they offered little to the league. West Brom fans must be pretty annoyed really and especially annoyed seeing what's happened at the likes of Wolves and Leicester.

Not wanting to be in Europe just reeks of an excuse-making, negative, "can't do" attitude and any players and coaches with ambition would surely look elsewhere.

Yes it would be tough on our players physically, and yes we would need to make alternative plans in the transfer window, but I as a matchgoing fan simply cannot abide the idea that we would turn down competitive games against teams we will likely never face again, all to focus on maintaining an efficient, ultimately drab experience as a midtable Premier League side.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived