talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Indian Super League

football forum

Robbie Keane is to make his managerial debut after being named player-manager of Indian Super League side ATK.

The former Republic of Ireland international will take charge of ATK's final game of the season, against NorthEast United, and will be assisted by former Bolton and Finland goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Joined some Indian side. Says to help football, I love the bloke for everything he’s done for our country and how damn fucking good he’s been in the past, but he does love the $$. Must be getting a lot to move to the north east of India. 

13 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Joined some Indian side. Says to help football, I love the bloke for everything he’s done for our country and how damn fucking good he’s been in the past, but he does love the $$. Must be getting a lot to move to the north east of India. 

Can you blame him?

My Pops used to say, "As long as he's doing it legally, never hate on a man out there making money'

Good on him. Hope there is a decent place for him to live, otherwise I'm surprised he didn't just come to the MLS again. 

11 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Can you blame him?

He came back to the A-league “to help”. But demanded insane money and the football federation basically funded his move. He’s just lost many admirers in the past few seasons. I don’t blame him for making money but he may as well just be honest. “Hey guys I went to China to make shitloads” “hi everyone I’ve signed for Melbourne City because the FFA gave me lots of money. “Lads, off to India so I can be even richer”. Just be honest. 

16 minutes ago, Toinho said:

He came back to the A-league “to help”. But demanded insane money and the football federation basically funded his move. He’s just lost many admirers in the past few seasons. I don’t blame him for making money but he may as well just be honest. “Hey guys I went to China to make shitloads” “hi everyone I’ve signed for Melbourne City because the FFA gave me lots of money. “Lads, off to India so I can be even richer”. Just be honest. 

Fair enough.

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Phil Brown: Indian Super League's FC Pune City appoint as new head coach

3 hours ago | Football

Former Hull City, Southend United and Swindon Town boss Phil Brown has been named as the head coach of Indian Super League outfit FC Pune City.

The 59-year-old was sacked as manager of the Robins in November, with the Wiltshire club then 17th in League Two.

Brown, who won promotion to the Premier League with Hull in 2008, has also previously managed Derby and Preston.

He will take charge of Pune - based in the Indian state of Maharashtra - for the rest of the Super League season.

Chief executive Gaurav Modwel told the club website: "His successful stint at Hull City was historic and says a lot about his calibre as a manager."

Brown said: "FC Pune City has been having a difficult season but I am optimistic about taking up this job as the points table really isn't the real representation of the talent that's existing at the club."

The seventh-placed side's squad includes former Nottingham Forest defender Matt Mills, 32, and ex-Canada, Leicester City, Barnsley and Preston striker Iain Hume, 35.

Another ISL outfit, Kerala Blasters FC, recently parted company with former England goalkeeper David James by mutual consent, having appointed him as head coach in January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46673432

• 1 month later...

I dont.

I watch the I-League, which is the older, now relegated to be the second division.

The team I support is the one I have the logo of. The defending champions, whose success last year has been likened to Leicester winning the EPL. Something thats never happened before, and will never happen in the future.

15 minutes ago, AMG said:

I dont.

I watch the I-League, which is the older, now relegated to be the second division.

The team I support is the one I have the logo of. The defending champions, whose success last year has been likened to Leicester winning the EPL. Something thats never happened before, and will never happen in the future.

Thanks - I honestly didn't know you had them as your 'Team'. I have seen Rab have the same team. 

So the ISL is certainly larger, but is the I-League in a league that you can watch online? 

i-league was the old league.

It has teams like Dempo, 1968,  Churchhill 1988, salgocar, 1956, mohun bagan, 1889, east bengal 1920, neroca 1965 (founding years next to the clubs)

So, there's quite a bit of history in it.

In 2014, however, after the whole country was in a world cup frenzy, Reliance (headed by Ambani, an Indian oligarch) saw an opportunity, and decided to launch a soccer league, like, say the IPL, or the indian premier league in cricket.

New clubs, new players, more money etc etc. But no history.

Thats why I have an immense hatred for that tin-pot league which is all money. Yes, bigger clubs, more backing, more high profile players, arguably better quality. But no soul, no history.

To me its a league of clubs like Red Bull Leipzig.

Question - so the winner of the I-League gets into the AFC Champions League. Whereas the Indian Super League goes to a playoff where a they decide the champion, but does that champion also get into the AFC Champions League? According to the WIki page, India does not get any Entrants into the AFC Champions League..? 

1 minute ago, AMG said:

i-league was the old league.

It has teams like Dempo, 1968,  Churchhill 1988, salgocar, 1956, mohun bagan, 1889, east bengal 1920, neroca 1965 (founding years next to the clubs)

So, there's quite a bit of history in it.

In 2014, however, after the whole country was in a world cup frenzy, Reliance (headed by Ambani, an Indian oligarch) saw an opportunity, and decided to launch a soccer league, like, say the IPL, or the indian premier league in cricket.

New clubs, new players, more money etc etc. But no history.

Thats why I have an immense hatred for that tin-pot league which is all money. Yes, bigger clubs, more backing, more high profile players, arguably better tennis quality. But no soul, no history.

To me its a league of clubs like Red Bull Leipzig.

Ah, makes sense. So there is no promotion/relegation between the two, just in the I-League and I-League II Correct? 

Just now, Eco said:

Makes sense really. If you are a wealthy club and want to get more money, usually that's the way things go nowadays. 

True, to a certain extent.

But that league will never get any love from me.

2 minutes ago, AMG said:

True, to a certain extent.

But that league will never get any love from me.

That's fair. 

I see that I can pay to watch the league online for not that expensive. I might end up doing that. 

So, does the winner of the IL go to the AFC CL? You're team are the only ones I see that are in the tournament from India. 

19 minutes ago, Eco said:

Wow - so the ISL doesn't get a team. That's kind of odd. 

Pretty sure thats because the Champs League is older, and the ISL just started in 2014, and a thorough re-work of the Indian Football Leagues hierarchy hasn't been done.

Just now, AMG said:

Pretty sure thats because the Champs League is older, and the ISL just started in 2014, and a thorough re-work of the Indian Football Leagues hierarchy hasn't been done.

I read the Wiki page on the ISL, and it said that it's model is similar to that of the MLS in terms of just expansion and no promotion/relegation. 

I almost gagged. 

One day, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you think India hasn't done better with football. They seem ripe for it. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Eco said:

@AMG - Do you watch any of this? If so, what's your team? 

@Mel81x - Same question. 

Mixed bag for me really. My local club is Dempo SC and they used to be really good as well till around 2014-15 when they got relegated from the i-League. I still go to the Duler Stadium when they have matches and I am at home as its a club that I remember quite a bit from my childhood coupled with Liverpool who I also saw a lot of when I was really young. 

Then there's the ISL and what it brought to the table and how Goa really embraced it in its first season and subsequent seasons too. It's hard to think that we still haven't won anything there because we've had some great teams who just capitulate towards the end. FC Goa has a huge following in Goa and its a bit weird because you'll see people in Goa who support the original clubs from the original I-League division system like Sporting Clube de Goa, Salgaocar FC and Dempo and then there's a split following of FC Goa when it comes to the ISL. The ISL isn't a real league and is more likened to the IPL (Cricket League) and its model for operation so I am in agreement with AMG that there should be some kind of revamp of the entire system because its a bit silly how its all split. 

Funny story here is a few years ago I used to go to Bengaluru FC games and still do quite a bit (not as much as the first two years) since I live here and the supporters used to take a shit on the ISL saying that it wasn't a real league, etc, etc. Then the magical lure of money took them into the ISL and they are a good team no doubt but everyone has changed their tune now. They are a younger team so this is just the kind of ups and downs you'd expect though. 

Having said all that I used to enjoy watching teams from East India, especially Mohun Bagan come into town to play matches because they do attract a very good set of supporters who make a lot of noise and get engaged (against Bengaluru FC). The day they decide to take the ISL and backwards integrate it into the I-League and burn the ISL so that the I-League can get the same love and treatment that the cash influx has had on the ISL we'll start to see teams go up again.

It's not like India is doing bad and they started the current Asia Cup quite well but I think we have to make strides as a country in Asian tournaments first and we've got players who play some great football already just not what you'd expect from better teams in Asia like Iran, Japan, South Korea, etc. This current group of players have plied their trade in both leagues and the bigger mixture of international players in the ISL was one of the main reasons I liked it in the first place because playing with those players in those systems teaches our players a lot and it won't happen overnight but they will eventually get better. 

Archived