Newport vs Crawley
Northampton vs MK Dons
Notts County vs Bury
Port Vale vs Oldham
Tranmere vs Yeovil

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hull City this weekend. On paper, we're home, full house behind us and looking for an 8th straight win. Many would glance at the fixture and assume we'd win. But I'm anticipating a very tough game tomorrow.

Hull are on a decent run with one defeat in their last ten and four wins in their last five. So we're actually taking on an inform team, whose form has perhaps gone under the radar given their league position.

Clearly, they are doing something right now after a poor start and they'll be right up for it being a Yorkshire derby. They don't particularly like us much.

As great as the last two games have been nicking them in the dying seconds, I do feel an ominous sting in the tail coming. 

Not to harp on because we are all in the same boat, but this side is seriously stretched with very limited rest. Unless there are any further injuries, we'll go again with the same team and I don't know how much they can keep giving. They are only human at the end of the day and the legs will be feeling heavy.

I just hope with that crowd behind us, we can feed off them and find a way. That Kop end has a habit of sucking the ball in the goal when we need it.

First year haven't gone to Elland Road in a good while and we win, comfortably too. Won't be enough to derail the Bielsa train but always nice place to win. We are pushing away from relegation now and almost entering the play off picture. Sadly I fear a January exodus with Bowen and Grosicki strongly linked away and elphick alresdy recalled by Villa.

• Administrator

What happened at Norwich?! Walking out the ground after our game and saw they were 3-2 up...

Bad loss for Leeds that, especially with Norwich dropping points. And West Brom, too. 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Stan said:

What happened at Norwich?! Walking out the ground after our game and saw they were 3-2 up...

Bad loss for Leeds that, especially with Norwich dropping points. And West Brom, too. 

A power cut and the match was stopped for 20 minutes and then...

Manager Frank Lampard said he has never before been involved in a match like Derby County's astonishing 4-3 win over Norwich City.

Jack Marriott grabbed a dramatic late winner as the Rams recovered from 2-0 and then 3-2 down - with five minutes remaining - to edge a gripping game delayed for 20 minutes because of floodlight failure.

"It had everything," Lampard said. "I have certainly never gone back to the dressing room and then come back like that before and as a manager I have never been involved in a game with two late goals like that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46656340

A clean sheet, a point away from home and what’s been described as a good defensive performance.

Weve been in need of a good defensive performance for months, we have no problems scoring goals but we’ve consisutently fucked up at the back. Looks like a back three was exactly what we needed, something I’ve been crying out for for a while but seems Frank was only willing to switch once Jeanvier was fit.

We’re 15 points off the play offs, honestly I’ve lost hope of any sort of promotion chase but we have the best striker in the league and a lot of good attacking players...anything can happen but we’ve got to stay consistent now with our defensive issues.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

A clean sheet, a point away from home and what’s been described as a good defensive performance.

Weve been in need of a good defensive performance for months, we have no problems scoring goals but we’ve consisutently fucked up at the back. Looks like a back three was exactly what we needed, something I’ve been crying out for for a while but seems Frank was only willing to switch once Jeanvier was fit.

We’re 15 points off the play offs, honestly I’ve lost hope of any sort of promotion chase but we have the best striker in the league and a lot of good attacking players...anything can happen but we’ve got to stay consistent now with our defensive issues.

Where's the Road to Championship Mediocrity thread :P?!

We badly miss Grealish he’s got a problem with his shins. 

Where we miss him is his passing, Tammy makes fabulous runs in behind and nobody spots them in Jack’s abscence, we’ve been poor the last 3-4 games because of it. Also our defence is so poor 3 of the 4 at the back are rb’s 😬 I expect Elphick will start vs QPR. 

Disappointing result at Bramall Lane (not that I expected to win), I really hope our heads don't drop too much as until the start of December we were having a very good season. I can imagine that the last 5 minutes v. Leeds has rocked the team, like Birmingham and Norwich will have done. With a run of three difficult games coming up (home to West Brom on NYD, away at Newcastle in the FA Cup, then away at Millwall), we could really do without a lack of belief. In terms of January, I am more than happy with the squad, and I don't think we desperately need any more players (first time we can say that in years); we just need to be able to close out matches and that has to come from the coaching.

In other news, an absolutely cracking story in the local paper. I love people like this.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17326487.south-korean-travels-5440-miles-to-watch-accrington-stanley/

South Korean travels 5440 miles to watch Accrington Stanley

A DEVOTED football fan travelled 5,500 miles from Asia to watch his favourite team for the first time, Accrington Stanley.

South Korean Jung Min Yoo had never travelled to Europe before watching the League One side at the Wham Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Despite Stanley’s 4-0 loss to Peterborough United, the Seoul student said the day was unbelievable and added: “The result was terrible, but I enjoyed watching the football and meeting amazing fans.”

Chairman Andy Holt, who had a pint with the 25-year-old at the end of the match in The Reds Bar, said: “I’m proud to say Stanley is becoming a worldwide brand.”

Jung Min started supporting Stanley in October 2017, before they were crowned League Two champions in May, after reading a BBC article about good football team owners.

Before then the part-time convenience store worker mostly watched Bournemouth in the Premier League but said he took a shine to Accrington when he found out about the community spirit within Mr Holt’s club.

When Mr Yoo first announced his plans to travel to East Lancashire six months ago he was jokingly told to ‘order a whisky’ by his friends and family.

The Stanley fan, who lives with his parents and has three younger siblings, said: “They had never even heard of Accrington so they asked me about my trip several times. I went to Yokohama, Japan, in January, so this is my second trip abroad.”

For several months the Hankuk University student saved more than £1,000 for the 5,440-mile trip to the UK as he flew from Incheon International Airport to Manchester, via Heathrow, and arrived on Friday for his nine-day stay in the country.

On Saturday morning, Jung Min left his Salford Quays hotel room and made the two-hour bus journey to Accrington.

After arriving at the stadium, at around 11am, Mr Yoo was treated to a tour of the ground and given a warm welcome by the chairman, first team players, staff and manager John Coleman.

Goalkeeper Connor Ripley, 24, even gave a pair of his gloves and boots to Mr Yoo, who spent £264 on a season ticket despite only seeing one game. He said: “I think holding a season ticket is a symbol for your support.”

Jung Min was able to watch Accrington's final game of the year with 2,671 other fans in the stadium, instead of having to keep track of updates on his phone at midnight in South Korea due to time zone differences.

He was stood in the William Dyer Electrical stand for the 90 minutes and said: “I was very surprised by the good attitude shown by fans and staff. I’m just a fan but they gave me a warm welcome.”

After the game he spent a couple of hours at The Reds Bar for a few drinks with supporters before heading back to his hotel at around 7.30pm.

He will be making one more trip to the Wham Stadium next Saturday when Stanley play Ipswich in the third round of the FA Cup at home before making the 12-hour flight back home next Sunday.

Well I called it. I did have a nasty feeling the run would come to an end.

To be honest, we didn't even play that bad. We dominated the ball with over 70% of it, had well over double the attempts of Hull who cleared two off the line and their keeper made two really good saves. We probably did enough to win the game in a normal scenario but it just felt like one of those games where we could have played all night and not scored.

Hull were clinical, took their chances and defended resolutely. I think we struggled to really create clear cut chances mind so you have to credit Hull for that.

We look so leggy. The intensity we usually bring was off. We really could do with giving a few of them a rest but there's no chance of that unfortunately.

At least Norwich and West Brom didn't capitalise. That was a bonus.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived