• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New Years Resolutions

football forum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Used to think they're pretty pointless but will try and have a couple this year.

Started a course at work in October which I aim to complete, hopefully with flying colours, in August.

Went through a break-up in January with the ex-missus as some of you may know and took me longer than I expected to get over it. Dated a few girls throughout the year but nothing serious materialised of any of them. I would like to find someone next year and hope that they're 'the one' so I can look to settle down properly.

They're the only two I can properly think of that I can realistically aim for within the next 12 months. 

The other is lose weight and improve diet but that's not as urgent or a priority compared to the other two. 

Current thoughts....

1. Try to turn myself into a morning person rather than night person for January.... early to bed. Run/gym every morning followed by shower.

2. Use my phone less. If I'm in a room with people that I value,  leave the phone on the counter top, and engage more fully in the room and the situation that I'm in.....

I don't think they are a load of rubbish if you want to change something then most people in their minds at least think starting it in the New Year is the ideal starting point... Personally I think if you want to change something like getting fitter, running more or cutting out the fags or intake of beer is best done as soon as you have that inclination... waiting 3 months until the start of the New Year to do it just means you lack the will power and are just putting off the inevitable likelihood that you will do nothing at all... 

If you want to change something do it NOW!!!!! 

Also don't tell people what you plan to do or you end up looking like a bit of a tit as your excuses come tumbling out one month after another.. 

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't think they are a load of rubbish if you want to change something then most people in their minds at least think starting it in the New Year is the ideal starting point... Personally I think if you want to change something like getting fitter, running more or cutting out the fags or intake of beer is best done as soon as you have that inclination... waiting 3 months until the start of the New Year to do it just means you lack the will power and are just putting off the inevitable likelihood that you will do nothing at all... 

If you want to change something do it NOW!!!!! 

Also don't tell people what you plan to do or you end up looking like a bit of a tit as your excuses come tumbling out one month after another.. 

There's truth to this but the use of the resolution also prompts you to pick up an area for self improvement and act upon it. Perhaps you never would have done it if not for that. 

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Nothing too drastic as mental measures at January don't work. 

1) Get fit - In 2016 I competed in a half marathon, three 10K's and a load of other runs and loved it. Gave it up in December to enjoy Christmas and for a few reasons (all attributed to laziness) I haven't competed at all in 2017 which annoys me greatly. I'm going to get back into competitive running in 2018 and now that I am part of a gym less than three minutes from my home am going to finally get "fit" and slim down. 

2) Be happy. Without getting too philosophical this isn't a dress rehearsal. We get one life and to be honest I get the feeling that I'm existing, not living. Time to get back into education, go out more, run more, play more, spend more time with friends and family. Go on more holidays, be silly, improve my career. Just be happy. Less social media, less of this place (still active but yeah), less sitting in front of FIFA crying because my pixels don't run as fast as the other guys. Time to enjoy life starting now :).

Those are both top ones mate. For the second one I'd think if you could find a couple of specific things you can lock in to put you on that path it will help. Like if you sign up for a weekly class or try to reduce by 1 the number of nights it's just you and the playstation. 

50 minutes ago, MUFC said:

you can lose the weight buddy, just give your body a week to adjust to your new diet. 

Buying a Ferrari?

Yeah, the diet must change. I eat far too much junk food and drink too much fizzy drinks. Also doesn't help that I don't exercise much either.

As for the car, that'd be the day. xD

Was very much in the “what a load of rubbish” camp till this year. I can’t remember all of what I said I wanted to achieve this year but I did say I wanted to get into books more and have spent a lot of time listening to audiobooks. I’ve listened to plenty of Football audiobooks and a few self-help type audiobooks and I would quite like to keep that up but it’s not something I’m classing as a resolution for this coming year. 

1. Invest in myself - They say investing in yourself is the best thing you can do and I’m going to take a course that should open up a whole new set of opportunities work wise. I’m a bit nervous I’ve not passed a test since my driving theory test and that was a while ago now. 

2. Learn a language - A generic one, I suppose. There’s no real reason for this. Like it’s not a necessity or anything like that but I just fancy pushing myself a bit. I’m not going for a GCSE in whatever language I choose or anything like that and I’m not expecting to be fluent come January 1st 2020 but it would be nice to be able to understand a language a bit more. 

3. Give up fizzy drinks - They’re free at work and so, I drink a can a day. Hardly worrying, I know, and others I work with drink three or four but I just fancy attempting to give them up and sticking to water or tea. 

14 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Was very much in the “what a load of rubbish” camp till this year. I can’t remember all of what I said I wanted to achieve this year but I did say I wanted to get into books more and have spent a lot of time listening to audiobooks. I’ve listened to plenty of Football audiobooks and a few self-help type audiobooks and I would quite like to keep that up but it’s not something I’m classing as a resolution for this coming year. 

1. Invest in myself - They say investing in yourself is the best thing you can do and I’m going to take a course that should open up a whole new set of opportunities work wise. I’m a bit nervous I’ve not passed a test since my driving theory test and that was a while ago now. 

2. Learn a language - A generic one, I suppose. There’s no real reason for this. Like it’s not a necessity or anything like that but I just fancy pushing myself a bit. I’m not going for a GCSE in whatever language I choose or anything like that and I’m not expecting to be fluent come January 1st 2020 but it would be nice to be able to understand a language a bit more. 

3. Give up fizzy drinks - They’re free at work and so, I drink a can a day. Hardly worrying, I know, and others I work with drink three or four but I just fancy attempting to give them up and sticking to water or tea. 

Gave up fizzy drinks in June 2016. Initially so tough! 

On 29/12/2018 at 10:20, AMG said:

To not kill myself

Run that by me again?? 

Do you mean to 'not get killed' and hopefully survive another year without to many bumps and bruises or in the other sense where you are trying not to take your own life??  

I do them every year, but I'm a bit of an extremist with them. I break them up into 3 categories, Mind, Body, and Spirit, and usually have between 30-60 of them. All of them exact so I know for sure whether or not I achieved them. This year for instance, I had about 50, and probably will end up completing 45, so not too shabby. 

I usually consider the end of the year being the time where I spend more time re-evaluating my my life and what I think I can improve on. 

This year is a little lean, as I'm at 29 of them, some of which include:
1.) Become completely debt free outside of my house
2.) Read 50 books (this one is a goal every year, and this year I'll end with 43)
3.) Run 2,000 miles (This year's goal was 1,500 and I did close to 1,700+)

and then a lot of finance ones, and goals for work. Overall, this year I felt like I've really done a lot, so next year I should be able to be more set up to spend more time enjoying my family. 

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Nice, what kind?

Not sure yet, but since it'll be my first one I'm looking for something relatively lightweight and easy to repair... it's going to be up to 125cc for sure as I don't need a local license for it here; most likely Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha. I would go for a Honda Win as it's inexpensive and I love the looks but most of the ones sold here are cheap Chinese knockoffs and, frankly, those are just death traps. Leaning towards a Yamaha XTZ 125 at the moment.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Not sure yet, but since it'll be my first one I'm looking for something relatively lightweight and easy to repair... it's going to be up to 125cc for sure as I don't need a local license for it here; most likely Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha. I would go for a Honda Win as it's inexpensive and I love the looks but most of the ones sold here are cheap Chinese knockoffs and, frankly, those are just death traps. Leaning towards a Yamaha XTZ 125 at the moment.

These are the best makers indeed, and yeah you should avoid generic Chinese shit. Other brands i'd recommend that are reliable and probably cheaper than the Japanese ones are Kymco and Daelim. I'd also suggest a scooter since it's your first one and given that they're easier to drive and more comfortable too. Something like a Kymco Grand Dink or Daelim S1.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

These are the best makers indeed, and yeah you should avoid generic Chinese shit. Other brands i'd recommend that are reliable and probably cheaper than the Japanese ones are Kymco and Daelim. I'd also suggest a scooter since it's your first one and given that they're easier to drive and more comfortable too. Something like a Kymco Grand Dink or Daelim S1.

Good call on Daelim; those are dirt cheap here and I actually consider it too :D The old Citi 100 model as it's so ugly it's actually beautiful; it's sturdy and has great durability; and I'd be able to get cheap parts all across the country not to mention that nobody will ever care to steal it. Either that or Honda Super Cub which is also a class underbone motorbike. I was leaning more towards the Yamaha though due to off-road...

Archived