talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stadiums that unfortunately are no more...

football forum

What are your favourite stadiums that unforunately don't exist anymore? 

For me, the Rheinstadion in Düsseldorf was always an iconic view. I used to play footy on the pitches next to it, swam in the swimming pools next to it, and every time you crossed the Rhine river, you could see that stadium. As a local boy, it was iconic. 

AK_10502507_gr_1.jpg

But unfortunately it is no more:

They had plans to renovate it, but our ex mayor prefered a new multi purpose arena. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Australian rules football I have fond memories of Waverley Park aka the home of football. Built in the 70s a need owned by the VFL but was prohibited from expanding to rival the MCG in size and capacity. 

Somewhat still standing but turned into a housing estate and not used.

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

From Australian rules football I have fond memories of Waverley Park aka the home of football. Built in the 70s a need owned by the VFL but was prohibited from expanding to rival the MCG in size and capacity. 

How appropriate. Aussie Rules and low-income housing go hand in hand.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

How appropriate. Aussie Rules and low-income housing go hand in hand.

It's quite an exciting sport imo. I just wish I could feel a true passion for it. 

On the estate,  the irony is that it was built under the assumption that musgrave would develop into the epicenter of the residential metropolitan area. It really isn't that at all...

• Administrator

Have to say Filbert Street. It's where I first found my love of football (somehow) and it's where I first grew up watching football. 

Saw some great matches, great goals and epic moments in that late 90s and turn of the century period. I miss that place because of the atmosphere and closeness you had to the pitch. A proper, traditional, old-school type of stadium with 4 separate stands with no symmetry to them. Always had butterflies in my stomach when walking up to the ground. 

But it had to be knocked down - we'd outgrown it and needed to move as opposed to redevelop. 

The other stadium I wish I could still go to and sadly never did, was Arsenal's Highbury. Never had the chance to go but for reasons above, I bet you could still feel all the history when you walk up to the stadium and go through the turnstiles. Same goes for the old Wembley wuih which thankfully I had the chance to go to twice and even moreso, saw my team win one of the last ever trophies there (2000 League Cup). I was only 9 at the time but memories of that day and triumph are still vivid. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Harry said:

I left Australia in 1972 and I can't remember Waverley Park but the MCG yes, I have been there many a time watching Aussie Rules Football when my Carlton played there against either Melbourne or Richmond as that was their home ground, also to watch Carlton play in the AFL finals. 

16 hours ago, Harry said:

It's quite an exciting sport imo. I just wish I could feel a true passion for it. 

On the estate,  the irony is that it was built under the assumption that musgrave would develop into the epicenter of the residential metropolitan area. It really isn't that at all...

I like AFL but the shape of the ball kills it for me, the passing across the pitch, bastardry, that little geezer who plays for Adelaide who got to the 2017 Grand Final tearing the shit out of the game against 7ft giants are all really entertaining. But once the ball hits the ground it can be a bit like headless chickens all over the gaff.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Maine road, Highbury, the old San Mames and the Vicente Calderón

Good shout. Glad I got to go there before they moved. Saw quite a good game there as well. They beat Malaga 2-1 thanks to a last minute Falcao header. Quality atmosphere. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Danny said:

I like AFL but the shape of the ball kills it for me, the passing across the pitch, bastardry, that little geezer who plays for Adelaide who got to the 2017 Grand Final tearing the shit out of the game against 7ft giants are all really entertaining

Surely you must mean Eddie Betts? he originally played for my team Carlton I supported and watched many a time in Australia when I was there, a great little player and he is only 5" ft 9" inc.

200px-Eddie_Betts_2017.3.jpg

White Hart Lane was my favourite ground of all, I know this new stadium is all the mod cons etc but I doubt it will be as good as the Lane. Roker Park was a decent one I went too which no longer exists, and I was taken to the Victoria Ground (Stoke's old ground) but can't really remember it.

Of course Boothferry Park will live long in the memory although we moved when I was 13, one of the few stadiums with a railway station as part of it and a proper old style terraced stadium.

• Subscriber

Highbury only ever went there once in the 70s during my army days in training at Woolwich Barracks, the ground was small and compact if I remember right and you felt like sardines in a tin lol, look at Highbury nowadays though...

Air Conditioning Installation Flats and Apartments - Highbury Stadium Square 

B58anBV9G_2250_85_32_c-1.jpg

highbury07.jpg?itok=UbHK5qGH

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Good shout. Glad I got to go there before they moved. Saw quite a good game there as well. They beat Malaga 2-1 thanks to a last minute Falcao header. Quality atmosphere. 

It would have been a brilliant experience to have gone there and also the old San Mames. Both created some of the the most volatile atmospheres in Spain. 

Maine Road and Highbury were 2 of the better stadiums. @Happy Blue  @SirBalon smaller, more compact stadiums are always better. 

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It would have been a brilliant experience to have gone there and also the old San Mames. Both created some of the the most volatile atmospheres in Spain. 

Maine Road and Highbury were 2 of the better stadiums. @Happy Blue  @SirBalon smaller, more compact stadiums are always better. 

Maine Road was like a big subbuteo stadium with all it's different stands xD  ...everytime we scored the kippax nearly fell down,  so good job it was only once a month back then :ph34r:  ..and it still holds the attendance record outside of Wembley 84,569 B|  ..and uniteds too 83, 260 xD

22 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Surely you must mean Eddie Betts? he originally played for my team Carlton I supported and watched many a time in Australia when I was there, a great little player and he is only 5" ft 9" inc.

200px-Eddie_Betts_2017.3.jpg

Yeah that's him, was hoping they'd win the Grand Final the year Richmond won it just because of him.

Archived