talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONCACAF 2018/19 Champions League Final - Monterrey Wins 2-1

football forum

24 minutes ago, Eco said:

On a somewhat emotional, yet cool moment, Josef celebrated doing his first goal with his famous Heart celebration, but this time it was just him alone, as the other half was always Miggy. 

DmQsh-XX0AMrWYZ.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-16%20at%205.00.3

@Harvsky @Toony @Rafa Beneathus - You'll be happy to know they have mention Miguel and Newcastle about 20 times tonight. 

Untitled.0.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it's over! Atlanta wins 4-0. 

Absolutely dominating. Whatever Herediano did in CR didn't work here, as they were absolutely awful tonight. Of course, that helps that we had a MUCH stronger and experienced lineup on the pitch. 

We might have won by 10 if the match had actually been played in our home stadium, but alas, we progress and now have Monterrey from Mexico, which will be a great matchup. 

VAMOS ATLANTA!

Just now, Blue said:

That "heart" celebration is the fusion dance from Dragonball @Eco

Cheers - don't watch Dragonball, and I've only considered it a 'heart' even though it's not a heart, just not sure what else to call it. xD

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

That "heart" celebration is the fusion dance from Dragonball @Eco

You little shit. I just saw a gif and read what it does, and now I'm really missing Miggy. 

When it was heart it was just 'cool', now it's fucking sad. 

You bastard. xD

I think it's safe to assume SKC will beat Toluca tonight, which will leave 4 MLS teams, and 3 Liga MX teams. 

Look towards the next round, there will be 3 matches between the two leagues with:

ccl-19-header-d.png

Santos Laguna (MEX) vs New York RB (USA)
Tigres (MEX)  vs Houston (USA)
Sporting KC (USA) vs Indepediente (PAN)
Atlanta United (USA) vs Monterrey (MEX)

Would love for an all MLS Semi-Final. If it happens, we should let Teso back just so he can find some obscure excuse about why Liga MX is so far superior to the MLS.

ccl-19-header-d.png

New York RB (USA) vs Santos Laguna (MEX)
Leg 1: 0-2 Santos
Leg 2: (12/03)

Tigres (MEX)  vs Houston (USA)
Leg 1: 0-2 Tigres
Leg 2: (13/03)

Sporting KC (USA) vs Indepediente (PAN)
Leg 1: (06/03)
Leg 2: (14/03)

Atlanta United (USA) vs Monterrey (MEX)
Leg 1: (06/03)
Leg 2: (13/03)

So from what I gather from the 2 friends I have that actually follow MLS and the internet, Sporting KC (which is almost as silly of a name as Real Salt Lake) is probably the MLS's best hope for winning this. Atlanta's probably the best US side left in the tournament from what I gather, but my friends think Monterrey is too strong.

But also from what I gather, KC did not rest any of their starters when they played LAFC at LAFC's opener. A bit risky, considering I think in the entire second half LAFC really came into the game as KC looked a bit exhausted (and despite the early goal, I thought LAFC had the better play in the first half as well). Could be pretty tough for them.

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So from what I gather from the 2 friends I have that actually follow MLS and the internet, Sporting KC (which is almost as silly of a name as Real Salt Lake) is probably the MLS's best hope for winning this. Atlanta's probably the best US side left in the tournament from what I gather, but my friends think Monterrey is too strong.

But also from what I gather, KC did not rest any of their starters when they played LAFC at LAFC's opener. A bit risky, considering I think in the entire second half LAFC really came into the game as KC looked a bit exhausted (and despite the early goal, I thought LAFC had the better play in the first half as well). Could be pretty tough for them.

All true. 

No team in the CL started their full strength this past weekend in the league. Atlanta sat two of their better players so that they could rest. 

Atlanta are the most talented team left in the tournament, but with De Boer at the helm, we might not be the favorites. Monterrey are definitely a tough draw, whereas as Sporting KC got the best draw with getting the only non-MLS/Liga MX team left. 

Tonight will be interesting as it could be a giant blow to the MLS if one (or both) teams lose tonight. Certainly it's against the league that our season is just beginning whereas the rest of the globe seems to be in the middle of their season, but last night's results are definitely worrying for the MLS. 

10 minutes ago, Eco said:

All true. 

No team in the CL started their full strength this past weekend in the league. Atlanta sat two of their better players so that they could rest. 

Atlanta are the most talented team left in the tournament, but with De Boer at the helm, we might not be the favorites. Monterrey are definitely a tough draw, whereas as Sporting KC got the best draw with getting the only non-MLS/Liga MX team left. 

Tonight will be interesting as it could be a giant blow to the MLS if one (or both) teams lose tonight. Certainly it's against the league that our season is just beginning whereas the rest of the globe seems to be in the middle of their season, but last night's results are definitely worrying for the MLS. 

Yeah it’s pretty unfortunate that the MLS has this weird season schedule - but I don’t blame the league for wanting to avoid competing with the NFL & MLB as they try to grow the sport.

Hopefully both sides do well tonight

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

All true. 

Tigres are the best side left in the competition, and it's not even close.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Tigres are the best side left in the competition, and it's not even close.

I watch a lot of Liga MX, and if you are comparing Tigres and Monterrey....it is close. 

If you are comparing them with the MLS sides left in the tournament, then I will again disagree with you, as I don't think there is a Mexican side that is wayyyy better than what the MLS has to offer. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I watch a lot of Liga MX, and if you are comparing Tigres and Monterrey....it is close. 

If you are comparing them with the MLS sides left in the tournament, then I will again disagree with you, as I don't think there is a Mexican side that is wayyyy better than what the MLS has to offer. 

I also watch quite a bit of Liga MX... and I 100% agree with you.

First off, Tigres and Monterrey are obviously not that far apart. They're 1st and 2nd in Liga MX... Tigres are ahead by one point. They indicates they're pretty similar in quality, at least after 9 matches. They're the two best sides in Liga MX right now and it's most certainly close between them.

And as far as I can tell, yeah Liga MX is a higher quality league. In general, the players have more quality with the ball and, imo, the difference between the defending is much bigger than the difference going forward. But that doesn't mean that MLS sides have no chance against Liga MX sides. And honestly, it'd probably look a lot closer if the MLS season hadn't just started and we'd be seeing MLS sides that are a bit more in match form and fitness.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I also watch quite a bit of Liga MX... and I 100% agree with you.

First off, Tigres and Monterrey are obviously not that far apart. They're 1st and 2nd in Liga MX... Tigres are ahead by one point. They indicates they're pretty similar in quality, at least after 9 matches. They're the two best sides in Liga MX right now and it's most certainly close between them.

And as far as I can tell, yeah Liga MX is a higher quality league. In general, the players have more quality with the ball and, imo, the difference between the defending is much bigger than the difference going forward. But that doesn't mean that MLS sides have no chance against Liga MX sides. And honestly, it'd probably look a lot closer if the MLS season hadn't just started and we'd be seeing MLS sides that are a bit more in match form and fitness.

Correct - and I think the trend will see the MLS overtaking Liga MX and never looking back. The money is better, the publicity is better, and the living is better. The South American PoY last year came to Atlanta (Pitty), and before that we got Barco who was captain the U-18 Argentina side, so it's clear that their are certain teams in the league which should be able to propel the whole to a level Liga MX hasn't been at in recent memory. 

Just now, Eco said:

Correct - and I think the trend will see the MLS overtaking Liga MX and never looking back. The money is better, the publicity is better, and the living is better. The South American PoY last year came to Atlanta (Pitty), and before that we got Barco who was captain the U-18 Argentina side, so it's clear that their are certain teams in the league which should be able to propel the whole to a level Liga MX hasn't been at in recent memory. 

Yeah getting good young players like that is only going to be good for the league. And imo it's more exciting to watch than a European legend at the end of his career, because you're seeing talented young players develop their games and get good in front of us. Another young player that I think looks pretty exciting and will be fun to see develop in MLS is Diego Rossi - who saw LAFC as a step up from his Uruguayan club.

And these players if they develop and prove themselves in a growing league will probably get purchased by clubs in Europe and that's more money coming into the MLS to reinvest in more young talent.

I think the MLS has a lot going for it and it's already grown in quality so much as a league in the years since I've come to the US... so I think sometime in the next 5-10 years we will see the MLS be stronger than Liga MX.

• The title was changed to CONCACAF 2018/19 Champions League Final - Monterrey Wins 2-1

Archived