talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dominic Solanke - Bournemouth Deal Complete

14 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Liverpool wanted what's been described as a ridiculously high loan fee and given his previous injury problems combined with fitness concerns we have decided to look elsewhere. Michael Edwards hard ball has backfired.

Probably a good thing, you need goals don't you? To be fair to Solanke, Liverpool are not a side setup for a proper number 9 to score loads, Firmino is their number 1 and hardly fits the bill as a typical number 9 and doesn't get all that many. However, he did get his fair crack last season and never really looked like taking it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Liverpool wanted what's been described as a ridiculously high loan fee and given his previous injury problems combined with fitness concerns we have decided to look elsewhere. Michael Edwards hard ball has backfired.

Honestly, I don't think he's the player you need either. The experience of playing top flight football in England would be beneficial to us and to him - but you need a proven goalscorer at this level. Last season he got a fair crack to establish himself, and while he showed plenty of promising moments... on the whole it was very clear that he's a very raw player that needs to develop more. Sure, he might develop more of a clinical edge on loan with you... but it's a pretty big ask for a young kid to give a club some much needed firepower when they've never demonstrated they can do that at that level. And paying too much for a temporary move for a player that might not work out for you in a way that can be potentially devastating to you (because you need those goals now) isn't necessarily the greatest idea.

Honestly, thought it was a strange move from the get go... because we're pretty difficult with loaning players out - we ask for high loan fees and we put penalties in the contracts if that player doesn't get a certain amount of minutes (and we'd be wanting him to get minutes with you, not just sit on the bench at another club) which can be an obstacle for a player like Solanke where we don't know if he's ready for this level. And there's nothing that Solanke's shown last season that indicates he's anything more than a raw and promising player - it would have been a good opportunity, but a pretty big risk for Palace.

Honestly, if I were in charge of Palace I think I'd believe that risk is too great. You need goals now and paying too much for something that's 50-50 odds (or worse) that might not give you those goals would be a massive failure.

I think what Solanke demonstrated last season is that he needs a lot more time to develop. His movement and touch were very good, but he didn't seem all that confident in front of goal and would either bottle his chances or slow down a bit to think and then it would all go wrong for him. I think a move to Scotland or the Championship might be better.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think what Solanke demonstrated last season is that he needs a lot more time to develop. His movement and touch were very good, but he didn't seem all that confident in front of goal and would either bottle his chances or slow down a bit to think and then it would all go wrong for him. I think a move to Scotland or the Championship might be better.

If we could loan him to leagues outside Britain I think that would be far better for his growth and maybe teach him other aspects of the game as well like playing in perhaps the Dutch league or Serie A, etc. Right now he's a little too raw for what we want to apply in the system the players we currently have work in. I don't think he'd be bad at Palace honestly because lets face it, they have a striker issue that isn't going to go away anytime soon and he'd have great support there as well to grow but its a big ask for a young player like you said. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Wonder if this means Wilson is leaving Bournemouth?

I know bookies odds mean nothing but he's tipped to go to Chelsea at the moment.

On 02/01/2019 at 22:33, The Palace Fan said:

Lol

3 hours ago, José said:

@Rick is there an academy player worth Solanke's spot or will your club go after another Chelsea youth reject? 

Chelsea wanted to keep Solanke. The last two of their rejects we signed have ended up breaking goalscoring records for us, so I wouldn't really mind another

To answer the question, though, Rhian Brewster is very highly rated at the club, and signed a new contract in the summer after attracting interest from Germany and coming quite close to signing. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he was convinced to stay by assurances of first team playing time/opportunities.

On 02/01/2019 at 22:33, The Palace Fan said:

This post didn't age well mate. 

On 03/01/2019 at 18:26, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly, I don't think he's the player you need either. The experience of playing top flight football in England would be beneficial to us and to him - but you need a proven goalscorer at this level. Last season he got a fair crack to establish himself, and while he showed plenty of promising moments... on the whole it was very clear that he's a very raw player that needs to develop more. Sure, he might develop more of a clinical edge on loan with you... but it's a pretty big ask for a young kid to give a club some much needed firepower when they've never demonstrated they can do that at that level. And paying too much for a temporary move for a player that might not work out for you in a way that can be potentially devastating to you (because you need those goals now) isn't necessarily the greatest idea.

Honestly, thought it was a strange move from the get go... because we're pretty difficult with loaning players out - we ask for high loan fees and we put penalties in the contracts if that player doesn't get a certain amount of minutes (and we'd be wanting him to get minutes with you, not just sit on the bench at another club) which can be an obstacle for a player like Solanke where we don't know if he's ready for this level. And there's nothing that Solanke's shown last season that indicates he's anything more than a raw and promising player - it would have been a good opportunity, but a pretty big risk for Palace.

Honestly, if I were in charge of Palace I think I'd believe that risk is too great. You need goals now and paying too much for something that's 50-50 odds (or worse) that might not give you those goals would be a massive failure.

Yeah, I was never a fan of the deal in the first place. I'm sure he will develop in a competent Premier League striker one day, but on a short term loan deal his goal return is too much of a risk.

Jermaine Defoe would have been my go to guy, but he's pretty much set to go to Rangers. 

I think we just need to bide our time and see what happens. Michy Batshuyai may still become available.

@The Palace Fan Always saw Tammy Abraham as a potential Palace forward. Not sure why, just seemed like a natural fit there. 

With all the rumours circulating, you could spend the equivalent on someone far more potent than Solanke IMO. 

Failing that, Jay Rodriguez could also be a decent shout for about 5m less.

Archived