talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dominic Solanke - Bournemouth Deal Complete

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

£19m isn’t that much in this day and age of Premier League Football. I’m not saying it’s good value but considering some of the fees thrown around, it’s hardly huge money. 

Still feels like a lot for someone who's as raw as he is. And he's going for more than what we got from them for Ibe, and in my opinion, Ibe was a more developed player at the time (and looked like he was going to kick on to new heights in his career... which disappointingly for him and Bournemouth hasn't really been the case).

So I find it a bit surprising they've paid more for a player that's a bit more rough around the edges. Although if you adjust the price of Ibe for what it would be this year, rather than when he left, maybe you could make a good argument that the fee would be higher than the fee for Solanke.

I hope Solanke does well, I do appreciate the shifts he put in during his appearances last year. He was a massive dropoff in quality from Firmino and it wasn't even close to an adequate fill in... but he always put in a lot of effort and I think he was actually very good at reading the game up until his final ball. And honestly, it just might have been a confidence issue - being asked to fill big shoes without really having first team experience at that level might be a bit unnerving.

So we get laughed at and criticised for not spending a shit load of money like the premiership wankboys Fulham, then see deals like this where a striker who's done fuck all so far is then sold for £19m, almost as much as Josh Murphy and Bobby Reid combined.

We can't win at all really.

1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

So we get laughed at and criticised for not spending a shit load of money like the premiership wankboys Fulham, then see deals like this where a striker who's done fuck all so far is then sold for £19m, almost as much as Josh Murphy and Bobby Reid combined.

We can't win at all really.

Needless to say I have made my views towards "little old" Bournemouth very clear in the past. They have history for spending silly money early in the  January transfer window (Afobe, Grabban) and the knock on effect is that it sets a high bar that nobody wants to compete with which creates a boring transfer window for everybody. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Read somewhere that this makes Solanke the third most expensive English striker of all time, having scored one Premier League goal.

Edwards could sell sand to the Arabs. 

If Michael Edwards was handling the Brexit negotiations, the EU would agree to join Great Britain.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Edwards could sell sand to the Arabs. 

If Michael Edwards was handling the Brexit negotiations, the EU would agree to join Great Britain.

I think it's in part down to the climate as well. The rate of inflation is ridiculous and although Bournemouth have their fair share of home grown players already, you've still got the English premium at work.

Jack Rodwell went for £13m or so almost a decade ago, John Stones £50m more recently, and those under the watchful eye of an utterly incompetent Everton board. Danny Drinkwater is another one who springs to mind, going for £30-35m to Chelsea when clearly he isn't worth that much.

I don't wish to take anything away from the guy doing the business at Liverpool, which obviously looks impressive, but is almost to be expected when they have such a backlog of spare English players. I'll be more impressed when a Karius or Markovic brings in a £20m fee.

I personally think there is good potential in him, which if properly developed could turn him into a decent Premier league player. But he needs regular game time, and he is even behind Rhian Brewster, who will get more attention from Klopp once he gets fit.

19 million is a lot though. 

47 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think it's in part down to the climate as well. The rate of inflation is ridiculous and although Bournemouth have their fair share of home grown players already, you've still got the English premium at work.

Jack Rodwell went for £13m or so almost a decade ago, John Stones £50m more recently, and those under the watchful eye of an utterly incompetent Everton board. Danny Drinkwater is another one who springs to mind, going for £30-35m to Chelsea when clearly he isn't worth that much.

I don't wish to take anything away from the guy doing the business at Liverpool, which obviously looks impressive, but is almost to be expected when they have such a backlog of spare English players. I'll be more impressed when a Karius or Markovic brings in a £20m fee.

To be fair, Sakho and Benteke went for about 30m each!

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

To be fair, Sakho and Benteke went for about 30m each!

Yeah fair enough. Goes to show that the "If I was that shit I wouldn't have ended up at Liverpool in the first place" card really works xD.

48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah fair enough. Goes to show that the "If I was that shit I wouldn't have ended up at Liverpool in the first place" card really works xD.

Sakho wasn't shit, he just pissed Klopp right off. The fact that Edwards managed to bring in our asking price for a player that was at the time training with our youth's, was brilliant business. 

Archived