• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Man City 2-1 Liverpool - Thursday 3rd January, 2019

Recommended Posts

Kick off 20.00

Live on Sky Sports 

1200px-Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg.png     VS     155.png

Head to Head
Liverpool 0-0 Man City
Man City 1-2 Liverpool (friendly)
Man City 1-2 Liverpool (CL)
Liverpool 3-0 Man CIty (CL)
Liverpool 4-3 Man City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge game. Said before, think it plays into our hands. Could be wrong but if we get beat we're still 4 clear and we'd have all taken that at this stage. Worst case scenario but think of the best case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be more ideal going into this game in a "got nothing to lose" situation. Unfortunately we have plenty to lose here with the gap at the top being either 4, 7 or 10 points after this game. 

You'd have to say an away win is extremely unlikely so does that mean we just play for the draw? 

Will be interested to see the lineup Klopp puts together and in particular who gets a Guernsey from those in midfield...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Harry said:

It would be more ideal going into this game in a "got nothing to lose" situation. Unfortunately we have plenty to lose here with the gap at the top being either 4, 7 or 10 points after this game. 

You'd have to say an away win is extremely unlikely so does that mean we just play for the draw? 

Will be interested to see the lineup Klopp puts together and in particular who gets a Guernsey from those in midfield...

We don't really have anything to lose:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

We don't really have anything to lose:D

If we win we cant dispute that we're the main contenders for the title. 

Lose and it's absolutely still a two way race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Harry said:

If we win we cant dispute that we're the main contenders for the title. 

Lose and it's absolutely still a two way race. 

I agree. Just think at this stage of the season we would never have dreamed of going into January four points clear, seven points clear or ten points clear. If we lose they are absolutely in it, if we draw they still are. If we win it's a huge advantage us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Fernandinho still out? I think that plays a huge part in how well City really do. I think this is one of those games where we're going to concede but we'll keep it respectable with a draw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's as important as anyone else in that setup. Covers the defense and is able to make breakthrough runs from deep as well. Still think we'll get a lot of joy when we go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Is Fernandinho still out? I think that plays a huge part in how well City really do. I think this is one of those games where we're going to concede but we'll keep it respectable with a draw. 

Back last game with Silva & Aguero  ...De Bruyne is 50/50 for the 3rd with Gundogan, Walker is fit again, ,Mendy out till Feb

 

I would play

 

Ederson

Walker - Stones - Laporte - Danilo

De Bruyne - Fernandinho - Silva

Sterling - Aguero - Sane

BENCH:- Muric, Zinchenko, Otamendi, Mahrez, Gundogan, Bernardo, Jesus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harry said:

If we win we cant dispute that we're the main contenders for the title. 

Lose and it's absolutely still a two way race. 

3 way actually. Spurs are well in with a shout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harry said:

It would be more ideal going into this game in a "got nothing to lose" situation. Unfortunately we have plenty to lose here with the gap at the top being either 4, 7 or 10 points after this game. 

You'd have to say an away win is extremely unlikely so does that mean we just play for the draw? 

Will be interested to see the lineup Klopp puts together and in particular who gets a Guernsey from those in midfield...

Klopp won't play for a draw, not a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Just for fun, lets do a combined Pool - City XI

143gktu.jpg

:96_ok_hand:

Didn't know you could have that many players on the bench.

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Just for fun, lets do a combined Pool - City XI

143gktu.jpg

:96_ok_hand:

Probably only Walker gets in from your back 5. I'd have your midfield 3 all in. Front 3 is a tough call but I can't see Sane staying in over Salah. Aguero and sterling though are hard to displace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think we will beat them. 

I can at least agree that now is not a bad time to play them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Probably only Walker gets in from your back 5. I'd have your midfield 3 all in. Front 3 is a tough call but I can't see Sane staying in over Salah. Aguero and sterling though are hard to displace.

So many combinations between the 2 teams if one is being serious. personally i think Walker is our worst defender in the starting 11 ..Mendy is miles, miles better. salah would get in somewhere, not for Sane though, he is one of our top 3 players, the boys very underrated  ..best young player in the world for me, Ederson stays in too, he starts many good attacks with his distribution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For the sake of the title race, I'm hoping City win. They should have won at Anfield in all honesty but blew it.

It would be brilliant this season for the Premier League for it to go to the wire and in all honesty, I feel it deserves to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liverpool are not in a nothing to lose situation. There's a seven point lead to lose.

If Liverpool get a point or three here I think they really are favourites for the league. If City beat them that's a big momentum swing and brings Liverpool back down to earth psychologically.

Would say I hope City win but as they're a totally vile club and essentially PSG with better PR, I hope both teams lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

City nearly conceded everytime Southampton pressed them high up the pitch, they look dodgy at the back. Think Liverpool might do them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MUFC said:

City nearly conceded everytime Southampton pressed them high up the pitch, they look dodgy at the back. Think Liverpool might do them.

Yeah but they only went up the pitch twice :ph34r:   ..20 games in and on average we have conceded less than a goal a game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

City are going to approach this with a point to prove after losing 2 on the bounce and wanting to show they’re still the top side in the league. If it were Anfield I’d feel a bit more optimistic - but if any of the sides we have to face this year are capable of giving us a lot of trouble, it’s this one.

Hope we keep this good run going all season long, obviously. Don’t know how likely that is. But if we win this, that obviously keeps that possible. So hopefully we win this.

Pep says he doesn’t know if KDB is playing, but I think he absolutely will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All games this Matchday aired on Sky have ended with the home team losing and not scoring. 

@Happy Blue

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think some on the Liverpool side are bigging this fixture up more than necessary, Carragher with his 'win and it's their title to lose', I mean the guy is a know moron but it just creates a big pressure around it, and if they lose it'll take momentum out of them more than it should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I do think some on the Liverpool side are bigging this fixture up more than necessary, Carragher with his 'win and it's their title to lose', I mean the guy is a know moron but it just creates a big pressure around it, and if they lose it'll take momentum out of them more than it should do.

Tbf, win lose or draw we are only at the half way point and anything can happen yet, maybe even Spurs or Chelsea will win it :what:  ..but this is the biggest fixture in England now so can see why it's getting hyped up, if you are selling the Premier League to the world, this is the game you show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Tbf, win lose or draw we are only at the half way point and anything can happen yet, maybe even Spurs or Chelsea will win it :what:  ..but this is the biggest fixture in England now so can see why it's getting hyped up, if you are selling the Premier League to the world, this is the game you show

Definitely for a neutral, it's the biggest game in the league in terms of competition and quality. Just think some of the so called pundits talking up it's 'make or break' status, whatever the result there is nearly half of the season left, anything at all can happen and nothing will be even close to decided tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If City wins they go 4 behind which is as open as it gets, with Spurs lurking with just six behind. However if Liverpool wins i don't think City will catch 10 points not this time. Liverpool will easily be happy with a point, but i doubt this game will again end in a draw.

Think City will just manage 2-1 my prediction, but i'd rather see Liverpool win or draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Definitely for a neutral, it's the biggest game in the league in terms of competition and quality. Just think some of the so called pundits talking up it's 'make or break' status, whatever the result there is nearly half of the season left, anything at all can happen and nothing will be even close to decided tonight.

100%  ..8pt gaps have been clawed back before in the last 2 months of the season, any of the top teams have a mini injury crisis like we have just had and points could easy be dropped ..long way to go yet, these pundits are getting a bit giddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule number 1 - Never listen to pundits, especially on Sky. What they spout isn't even their real opinion, it's simply to sell the Sky product to increase viewing figures. 

Full of shit the lot of them. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement