talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Suarez vs Salah at Liverpool

football forum

Now I know what you're thinking. Yes these 2 are very different and incomparable players, but I'm trying to compare their time at Liverpool. Who do you think was more influential?

And before anyone says it, I know Liverpool don't rely on Salah (at least not anymore). But neither did they with Suarez for the most part! At least not in 2013-14.

What do you think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cannabis said:

Suarez was an absolute beast in his prime at Liverpool, he quite literally carried them to within an inch of the title. Some of his goals were insane too, untouchable at times. 

If they had a Van Dijk in that title race instead of a Sakho or a Toure, then they would have won the title. If I recall Agger didn't play a whole lot that season.

Say what you want about Skrtel, but at least he knew how to bag from corners. That is so important in the modern game.

• Administrator

Suarez shades it for me considering he was playing with lesser-talented players. Salah plays with the likes of Firmino, Mane and for a bit, Coutinho. 

Also @Blue you say they're incomparable but then still wanna compare them...? 

Just now, Stan said:

Suarez shades it for me considering he was playing with lesser-talented players. Salah plays with the likes of Firmino, Mane and for a bit, Coutinho. 

Also @Blue you say they're incomparable but then still wanna compare them...? 

Influence on the team mate... but I also tried to keep it somewhat close, that way I'm not comparing a defender with an attacker.

You can't really compare styles but you can compare attacking influence :) 

I love both. For me Suarez was definitely the more influential player though. Probably the best in the world in his position at the time. 

He caused a lot of problems and cost us plenty of neutural support but honestly I loved him. 

A product of his environment and upbringing but defining attributes as I saw them... most immense effort of any player, will do anything to win, absolutely dedicated and committed to his family, liked to laugh, probably a top 3 player in the world in his final year with us and made every player around him better. Unplayable on his day in a way Salah just isn't.

33 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Suarez is more talented but ultimately brought Liverpool as much strife as success. A bucked toothed, biting bigot. Salah seems quite sound and goes Bakcich on Bold Street. 

Salah is the sensible choice. The life partner that will deliver you a solid long term relationship with many years of companionship, a family and kids.

Suarez is the crazy choice. The romeo and juliet love story where you'll experience passion and love to its fullest but also die young in a blaze of glory somehow. but fuck me you'll have lived.

• Subscriber

Suarez by a mile for me, he made Liverpool what it was when he played for them and now he is doing the same with Barca and getting the rewards trophy wise, I think Salah would be another Torres if he left Liverpool, great when he played for them but just an average player if he left and would just disappear, like Torres. 

1 minute ago, CaaC - John said:

Suarez by a mile for me, he made Liverpool what it was when he played for them and now he is doing the same with Barca and getting the rewards trophy wise, I think Salah would be another Torres if he left Liverpool, great when he played for them but just an average player if he left and would just disappear, like Torres. 

I don't think that was the issue with Torres. Injuries and confidence were to blame. He had already lost it before he left us. 

Salah would be class elsewhere but Suarez belongs in a world 11 where Salah may not. Arguably a top 5 player of the premier league era.

Suarez carried a shite tactician to being close to winning a title. So he’s probably the overall more talented player.

That season where he almost fired us to the league title he was unplayable. He was unquestionably the best player in the league that season and if we’d defended with slightly more competence, maybe that season wouldn’t have ended up being such an irritating piece of shit season.

I personally believe a Suárez at his absolute best, if he stayed away from controversy(which is definitely not the 1 of right now), would score a similar amount in this Liverpool side as he did at Barcelona in his second season. Klopp would certainly know how to utilise him to the fullest and he'd thrive among the current players around him. 

He was arguably at his ultimate when at Liverpool. More fearsome, better dribbler, scored more screamers, although we never truly got to witness his best for long period in England due to his problematic behaviour at that time. The difference between his time there and at Barcelona is that he has finally learnt to keep his head down in Spain. 

As for comparisons with Salah, I see them both being different players, who would be compatible with one another. If we had to compare however, then just look at their careers and what they've done overall in terms of consistency and importance. Suarez hands down as it stands. 

• Subscriber

Suarez had a similar output but more of it was based on what he did himself. Salah is obviously quality but has a lot more help from his team mates, both in having chances made for him and giving opposition defenders something to distract them. As good as Sturridge and Sterling were in that season, Mane and Firmino (and Coutinho for the first half of last season) are a cut above.

So Suarez.

• Subscriber

As much as I love what Salah has done at the club last season and is slowly building to this season, Suarez was a magician that had one extra quality that Salah doesn't, the ability to get the entire team rallied behind him in attack. Some of the matches where you'd watch Gerrard running the midfield you have to take a look at how much Suarez holds the ball and tries to bring the rest of the attacking system up the pitch to create the kinds of goals he did. Yes, he had a lot of individual talent but I think his mental-push over the whole team was a far more important trait. 

Brendan's master management wasn't just down to Suarez being a good player but more to the fact that players around him were forced to be better just by the way he played. It's funny how we're comparing Salah to Suarez when the closest thing we have to him now is actually Firmino and his playing style, minus the goal-scoring. 

Suarez was one of the best players to play in the Premier League, for me, and only never gets mentioned alongside the Shearers, Henrys and Drogbas because he wasn't here long. Salah is a very good player too and very different to Suarez but I don't think he's quite at that level. He was a beast

On 02/01/2019 at 01:28, The Rebel CRS said:

The difference between his time there and at Barcelona is that he has finally learnt to keep his head down in Spain. 

Only disagree with this bit from your post. Looking back it seems that some of his rash moments were fairly calculated. At least two of the biting incidents happened just before he was trying for a transfer. Not to forget the fact that he was even thinking about taking the legal route to force a move to Arsenal. When he wanted something he was willing to go beyond the boundaries or break the rules. 

He was a fabulous player and easily the most talented Liverpool striker in the past decade, and I enjoyed watching him, but I have far more respect for someone like Torres.

Also, @Mel81xmakes another valid point. Firmino is a better comparison. 

22 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

Suarez was one of the best players to play in the Premier League, for me, and only never gets mentioned alongside the Shearers, Henrys and Drogbas because he wasn't here long. Salah is a very good player too and very different to Suarez but I don't think he's quite at that level. He was a beast

Drogba isn't in the same elk as Shearer and Henry. Aguero is. 

As great as Drogba was, he wasn't a prolific striker. 

14 hours ago, Cicero said:

Drogba isn't in the same elk as Shearer and Henry. Aguero is. 

As great as Drogba was, he wasn't a prolific striker. 

Drogba is an incredibly worthy entrant to the pantheon of EPL folklore imo.

An absolute unplayable beast baby that infuriated everyone who wasn't Chelsea.... i hated him more than any other player at the time. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Drogba is an incredibly worthy entrant to the pantheon of EPL folklore imo.

An absolute unplayable beast baby that infuriated everyone who wasn't Chelsea.... i hated him more than any other player at the time. 

Beast baby is the best way to describe him

They are both brilliant players. I think Salah is better with the workrate he is great at assisting as well as scoring goals. Also Salah and Suarez both had 1 very prolific season each. Unfortunately Suarez left the next season and Salah stays and keeps banging in the goals. For me it's just Salah very little in it though. 2 outstanding footballers who are both a joy to watch.

Archived