talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cost of being a Mascot

football forum

The story seems to be focused on Swansea City charging 'Premier League's prices, shouldn't it be that clubs are charging that much in the first place?

Seems like something clubs could go about a different route trying to get kids to be mascots for games?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be free... With the amount of money that's floating about in football these days do we really have to try and squeeze every single penny from families who probably already pay a small fortune each season to go to home and away games as it is.. 

Mascots at the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United are picked at random from their junior fan club and are free.

• Administrator

Used to be free at Leicester but now, like other clubs, they are making ridiculous money off it.

Ours is £600 which is shameful in itself. Not to make excuses for it or condone it, but it comes with more than say what you get at Bournemouth where you don't even get a match ticket?! Ours comes with VIP treatment, walk the players out as normal, 3-course meal (which is more for family obviously as opposed to the kid), free replica kit. So different prices for different levels of service you receive. 

To charge anything is a disgrace, though. This is meant to be a special occasion for kids and families alike, not to make money off considering how much money is made anyway, especially in the Premier League. It's not meant to be reserved for only those who can afford it. 

You have to delve deeper into these shitty and lazy BBC articles. Just like their ‘price of football’ which is pretty inaccurate until you look at it deeper

The swansea package you actually get 4 free match tickets and loads of other stuff.

At the ‘big’ clubs it’s free but how much are their junior memberships? I can’t be arsed to look but I’m guessing more than at Swansea.The ‘big’ clubs probably charge a fiver more for a membership but pick a mascot from random for ‘free’.

Ours is £250-300 I think and you get 2 tickets and a kit and other random shit that isn’t worth a lot. When I was a kid it was picked by random from the junior members.

Charging 46 or 38 rich families an extortionate amount of money in the grand scheme of things isn’t a massive problem. The price of taking a family to a game, buying shirts, tickets etc should be the focus. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

Used to be free at Leicester but now, like other clubs, they are making ridiculous money off it.

Ours is £600 which is shameful in itself. Not to make excuses for it or condone it, but it comes with more than say what you get at Bournemouth where you don't even get a match ticket?! Ours comes with VIP treatment, walk the players out as normal, 3-course meal (which is more for family obviously as opposed to the kid), free replica kit. So different prices for different levels of service you receive. 

To charge anything is a disgrace, though. This is meant to be a special occasion for kids and families alike, not to make money off considering how much money is made anyway, especially in the Premier League. It's not meant to be reserved for only those who can afford it. 

Ours are a disgrace. I couldn't believe it when it came out that it was that much last year.

Premier League clubs have no excuse. We certainly don't. Absolutely makes me piss myself when you see these clubs trotting out the buzzwords "football in the community" and that kind of stuff yet do this.

The greed of this league is utterly astounding at times.

• Subscriber

With the amount of games played and the more important revenue generated from those games I don't see why clubs don't just give fans a free chance at this. In the grander scheme of things 200 - 800 is a drop in the ocean for the revenue generated on matchday and it seems odd that clubs want to make more money on this. I'd think that if you buy a ticket to the game you should be allowed to put your kid into a lottery ahead of time and just let randomness sort this kind of thing out. As a child being able to shake the hand or even walk onto the pitch with the team you support probably trumps a dinner or anything else but making money is a top priority these days it seems.

Archived