The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2018/19 - Third Round Match Chat - 4-8th January, 2019

football forum

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Just tuned in to watch the extra time.. they better not all be tired and worn out now I am watching.. 

They, or you? ;) 

• Administrator
Just now, Harvsky said:

Joselu one of if not the worst player on the pitch scores an offside goal.

Where is VAR? Why is it only sometimes used? We should have had a penalty earlier as well so this whole "robbed" thing is an exaggeration.

Weirdly isn't used at non-Premier League grounds which I think is bizarre xD

I'm not one of these that hate Joselu.  He may not score much but he's a good target man and he works hard if he had another player up front with him people may appreciate him more and see him in a different light. Heskey scored not many but he was a really good target man Joselu could be the same if he had a striker with pace right next to him. 

We are down to our barebones as the team shows. Some will say the keeper should have done better for Perez goal I don't think he should the power of the strike beat him. 

So what if we got lucky with Dack missing the sitter or the offside goal.

Because whilst we got luck in extra time we got no luck in regulation time. The injuries is cruel bad luck on both Clark and Lascelles. They could have had a man sent off for a high reckless challenge how it isn't a yellow card is beyond me. Joselu should have had a penalty to he shot and he got clattered as he shot it was a pen or should have been so luck swings in roundabouts had we been given it we probably wouldn't have needed extra time. Hayden was unlucky with a header in the 2nd half which hit the post.

Lovely goal from Roberts excellent wing play from Murphy I thought he played well and was a threat in behind the Rovers defence. Roberts did well throughout to as did Longstaff good effort from him yes he got lucky with the deflection but it was a good hit still. Sterry did well to even if Graham got the better of him a few times he kept persevering away so all credit to him. Well played Woodman though he had little to do. 

They were the better side just before we made it 3-2 apart from the Dack sitter they created little though. Not massively but in normal time I thought we just shaded it. Once the 3rd goal went in they were chasing it and we created a lot more chances because of that. Atsu looked lively when he came on though again he never had his shooting boots on. 😀 lovely finish from Perez he smashed it in. I'm gutted about the injuries we need to try and get as many back as quickly possible but I'm proud of the lads for sticking at it and grinding out  good win nice to get 4 goals away from home and 2 Geordie lads scoring the away fans were superb as always.

Joselu has been upfront with Perez, Gayle and Muto before and wasn't good enough. His touch tonight was dreadful and in general too poor to be a target man where the ball needs to stick to you. He also lacks awareness of his surroundings when it comes to heading the ball. That he is a trier is all that he has going for him at this level.

Really proud to be a Rover at the moment - the team did us proud last night and gave absolutely everything. Things could have been very different had Dack put away his chance in extra time at 2-2. 

Everyone going on about Newcastle's weak team but our defence was makeshift to say the least! We were also forced into playing a different formation for the first time due to the lack of defenders available. Smallwood and Travis were outstanding in central midfield, as were Graham in attack and Lenihan in defence.

The big frustration is that Newcastle's crucial 3rd goal should have been disallowed for offside and had it happened in the initial tie then VAR would have come into play and confirmed the decision to disallow it. It is unfair that in the same tie one match has VAR and another hasn't. If both sides don't have access to it ie. aren't PL then it shouldn't be used. 

I thought the youngsters in the Newcastle side were a credit to their club, the more senior players looked like they couldn't care less. There seemed to be no urgency for Newcastle to win it from the players or management and got a get out of jail free card with the luck for the 3rd goal then the 4th comes from us not giving a shit and going all out attack. The funny thing is had just a couple more senior players started the first game such as Perez and Rondon then everyone wouldn't have had to be put through all those minutes of football as we aren't at a level just yet to cope with their quality. As Newcastle made so many changes it made it far more even and for the majority of the tie you couldn't tell which team was in the higher division.

• Administrator

GOAL DERBY! 

Bryson neatly finishes off a good move from Derby to put the Championship side ahead.

They've played some really nice football at times have Derby. 0-1.

• Administrator

Scrap that, goal disallowed for offside due to VAR Review.

Part of Waghorn's leg is offside. Correct call but took longer than wanted to get to that decision.

That was not a clear and obvious error. That was a tiny margin and took too long that sort of call isn't what VAR should be used for.

The original decision should stand unless the referee or linesman has made a clear and obvious error.

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Scrap that, goal disallowed for offside due to VAR Review.

Part of Waghorn's leg is offside. Correct call but took longer than wanted to get to that decision.

This is what we were talking about when it comes to consistency, Kane v Chelsea the whole top half of his body was offside but was ok and now this.. They just need to have one clear rule to follow or it becomes a shambles..  

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Marc said:

That was not a clear and obvious error. That was a tiny margin and took too long that sort of call isn't what VAR should be used for.

The original decision should stand unless the referee or linesman has made a clear and obvious error.

Clear and obvious doesn't apply to offsides because (usually) it's objective where it's going to be black and white. In this case, tiny margin or not, Waghorn's leg is offside and therefore correct decision was eventually made, albeit took too long I agree.

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is what we were talking about when it comes to consistency, Kane v Chelsea the whole top half of his body was offside but was ok and now this.. They just need to have one clear rule to follow or it becomes a shambles..  

It is, to be fair. The rule being that any part of your body you can score with is offside and Waghorn's leg is in an offside position. Not sure why it took so long but the decision was overturned correctly in the end. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Clear and obvious doesn't apply to offsides because (usually) it's objective where it's going to be black and white. In this case, tiny margin or not, Waghorn's leg is offside and therefore correct decision was eventually made, albeit took too long I agree.

It is, to be fair. The rule being that any part of your body you can score with is offside and Waghorn's leg is in an offside position. Not sure why it took so long but the decision was overturned correctly in the end. 

Again a nonsense... Kane could have scored with a header which was curiously attached to the top half of his body that was bloody offside!! xD

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Again a nonsense... Kane could have scored with a header which was curiously attached to the top half of his body that was bloody offside!! xD

Huh?

That is literally the rule. 

I don't think the decision made on that Kane one was correct.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Incorrect. Not like you to make stuff up

'The referee`s original decision will not be changed unless there was a ‘clear and obvious error’ (this includes any decision made by the referee based on information from another match official e.g. offside).'

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/khhloe2xoigyna8juxw3.pdf

• The topic was unpinned

Archived