talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth Sign Clyne

Fulham are leading Cardiff in the race to sign Liverpool defender Nathaniel Clyne in January, according to the Sun on Sunday.

The 27-year-old right-back has fallen behind Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez in the pecking order at Liverpool meaning he could be set to leave the club next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil Warnock has confirmed Cardiff'sinterest in Nathaniel Clyne with the Liverpool defender out of favour at Anfield.

“Yes," he said when asked at Cardiff's press conference ahead of facing Watford tomorrow. “I know Nathaniel. I gave him his debut, a lovely lad and I know his mother well she is a wonderful woman.”

However, he thinks Liverpool’s injury problems could make any potential deal difficult.

"But the thing about that is they’ve had a lot of injuries and they’ve got to look after themselves. 

"It’s very difficult to get clubs to commit. He’d be one on our list, yes, we’re looking at that position.”

He said: “We’ve spoke about a number of players and even the ones we’re talking about signing, it doesn’t mean they’re going to be better than what we’ve got.

“No matter what you pay, it doesn’t guarantee they’re going to do it in the Premier League. We probably have to prune the squad a little bit and give ourselves one or two options.”

And when asked about his interest in Nantes striker Emiliano Sala, who he watched in France last week, he said it has not moved on significantly.

He added: “None of them have moved on, we’re looking at targets all over the show and crossed a few off this week - and added one or two targets. January is difficult, and you sometimes pay over the top. I don’t want to bring in anybody who’s not better than what we’ve got. It’s as difficult as I’ve ever seen it. Mehmet (Dalman) and Ken (Choo) are working really hard. “We haven’t got a director of football and most Premier League clubs have got five or six more staff than we’ve got. We have to give everyone a look even if it’s a waste of time and try to bring in someone of the right calibre.”

Neil Warnock has revealed Cardiff are looking at strengthening in three positions during the January transfer window...

He said: "When we’re looking at a player, we’re not looking at players the top half of the Premier League can afford. You have to weigh up the cost of the player, look at the situation if we got relegated, the financial implications of the club - and who’s available. You don’t want your good players to go in January.

"We’re looking at three positions if we can, but I’m probably only confident in one position of the three. It looks like if our number one or two options don’t come off, it’ll be the end of January."

17 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I would be more than happy to see this happen, especially as RB is a key weakness. Unfortunately, I just can't see this happening.

Not in the state we are in with injuries. 

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Very strange move on our part. Clyne was excellent when called upon against Utd, great cover for Trent. Don't see why we didn't keep him till the summer, unless a replacement is already lined up for January.

Maybe it's a case of him just wanting to play rather than only playing a handful of games between now and May. We do have options there to be fair and when Gomez is fit Clyne is 3rd or 4th choice at right back

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Maybe it's a case of him just wanting to play rather than only playing a handful of games between now and May. We do have options there to be fair and when Gomez is fit Clyne is 3rd or 4th choice at right back

Gomez should play CB when fit with Van Dijk. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I don't see the point of a loan deal if there are clubs interested in a permanent move... 

He's barely played for what, 18 months? There's hardly a worse time to sell him. Send him on loan to play regularly for 6 months and demonstrate his quality, then flog him for a decent price.

• 4 months later...

Napoli have made an approach to sign Nathaniel Clyne as Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp looks to prune his squad this summer.

Clyne is surplus to requirements having spent the second half of the season on loan at Bournemouth.

Liverpool will entertain offers of around £15million for the 28-year-old, who due to injury has been restricted to just four starts for the club since May 2017.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jurgen-klopp-considers-napoli-transfer-16325549.amp

Archived