talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City Escape Ban From Champions League

football forum

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Man City will probably put all their efforts into getting as far as possible in this seasons Champions League, once they realise that they are definitely banned for the next two seasons.

I am sure they will know what their chances are of overturning this ruling. To heck with finishing as high as possible in the league, if there is no European football for the next two years. I realise that teams get more prize money the higher they finish in the Premier League table, but that pales in comparison to doing well in this seasons Champions League. The lack of European football over the next two years is really going to hurt the club.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I think at max City will be able to reduce the ban to one year with heavy fines

Bet it ends up being a really paltry fine to them, something like £50,000. A drop in the ocean for them. 

Been several good articles in various newspapers over the past few days, both sides of the argument too. I can't help but feel this is a crucial juncture for football, I do have a lot of sympathy for the argument that football was already in a bad state, that Chelsea/Manchester City and PSG are just symptoms of a far more widespread disease, in fact I've made those arguments myself. But, why shouldn't we act now, if UEFA doesn't enforce this then surely it means it is just carte blanche and any money, from anywhere can spent by anyone? This feels like the last attempt to reign in football spending and yes there are smug, aristocrat big clubs rubbing their hands together and I hope they get some justice at some point too. Manchester City have been caught doing wrong and instead of either fighting on the grounds of being innocent they've tried to just denigrate the whole of football, try to bully with money and they could well still win. If they do I think that's it for football as we know it, a super league will surely be ushered in under FIFA's new guise as just a stooge for middle eastern money.

• Subscriber

With Chelsea in poor form, we could even see Liverpool, Leicester and two of Sheffield United, Wolves and Everton as the four English teams in the Champions League next season. It's incredibly unlikely and it'll probably be Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea and Spurs or Man Utd but it's fun to dream.

I imagine if the first of these outcomes is what comes to pass, then UEFA's stance on Man City's ban might soften considerably.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

With Chelsea in poor form, we could even see Liverpool, Leicester and two of Sheffield United, Wolves and Everton as the four English teams in the Champions League next season. It's incredibly unlikely and it'll probably be Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea and Spurs or Man Utd but it's fun to dream. 

I imagine if the first of these outcomes is what comes to pass, then UEFA's stance on Man City's ban might soften considerably.

Everton need to make sure they keep their ducks in a row on this too, all this 'naming right first refusal' stuff stinks.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Everton need to make sure they keep their ducks in a row on this too, all this 'naming right first refusal' stuff stinks.

Absolutely. I'm actually worried about this. Those two Megafon towers they added to the ground last week are bringing in some more sponsorship. Then we've announced the early end of our sponsorship deal with SportPesa which I'm in favour of in isolation as I'd rather we went without gambling companies on the front of our shirts. However it leads me to believe it'll be USM on there next season as Usmanov increases his relationship with the club. Even if all of this is fine and dandy as far as FFP goes, I'm not really comfortable with Usmanov getting heavily involved on moral grounds based on what little I know about where his riches come from.

I'd happily see us keep Everton in the Community on the front of our shirts permanently but it'll never happen because no Premier League club is ever going to sacrifice £20m a season to be morally more upstanding. Indeed, the overwhelming majority of our fanbase would fume over it as well, such is the sick business that football has become.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6708a30d1a892bd518effbc78965d0ca.png

Man City appeal against European ban registered by Court of Arbitration for Sport

Manchester City's appeal against their two-year ban from European club competition has been registered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

The Premier League champions were also fined 30m euros (£25m) for "serious breaches" of Uefa's financial regulations.

City chief executive Ferran Soriano has said the breaches are "simply not true".

Cas says "it is not possible" to say when the matter will be resolved.

Cas arbitration procedures involve an exchange of written submissions between the parties while a panel of arbitrators is convened to hear the appeal.

The independent adjudicatory chamber of the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) said it found City had broken the rules by "overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to Uefa between 2012 and 2016", adding that the club "failed to cooperate in the investigation".

At the time, City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the "prejudicial" decision and would appeal.

Uefa launched an investigation after German newspaper Der Spiegel published leaked documents in November 2018 alleging City had inflated the value of a sponsorship deal, misleading European football's governing body.

Reports alleged City - who have always denied wrongdoing - deliberately misled Uefa so they could meet financial fair play rules requiring clubs to break even.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51643289

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Based on everything above it seems like Man City will get off the hook here because if they are suspending FFP then they'd put the club into some kind of financial crisis? 

• The title was changed to Man City Escape Ban From Champions League
  • Subscriber

Makes a mockery of all of the clubs who have actually been working hard to abide by FFP rules.

Financial "Fair" Play is already designed to maintain the status quo and protect the clubs who are already in the Champions League. Now it appears that it's okay for the richest clubs with the greatest means to spend beyond those means, because they'll just get fined instead of hit with a competitive disadvantage that they'd actually be arsed about. 

Your punishment for spending too much money is that you get to spend even more money paying us to just forget about it. That's what this is. We all knew this was how this story ended though.

Archived