talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Yannick Carrasco - Returning to Europe?

football forum

Would he admit to making a mistake this early and push for a return to European football? Can't imagine his club will be happy about it.

He is still only 25 years old and has already descended from scoring in the Champions League final to bring beaten 8-0 on his Chinese Super League debut.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Lots of rumours about us being back in for Carrasco this summer recently. Apparently he has said he has an offer on the table and that he would love to play in the Premier League. Reported figure is around €30m.

Carrasco has a considerable amount of talent but he is also extremely hit and miss which is one of the many reasons why we're in the trouble we're in with the players we have.  I wouldn't want him at all mate... That's not the answer and just accentuates the problem.

35 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Carrasco has a considerable amount of talent but he is also extremely hit and miss which is one of the many reasons why we're in the trouble we're in with the players we have.  I wouldn't want him at all mate... That's not the answer and just accentuates the problem.

Yeah I've heard this about him. Although he would be a massive improvement over what we currently have. If we do end up signing him he is just hitting prime age and maybe he could push on a level. It's going to be very hard for us getting top tier talent, ultimately we're going to have to take risks on some players. 

17 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Yeah I've heard this about him. Although he would be a massive improvement over what we currently have. If we do end up signing him he is just hitting prime age and maybe he could push on a level. It's going to be very hard for us getting top tier talent, ultimately we're going to have to take risks on some players. 

I get what you mean and even now I get torn on these things but something tells me we should take a rest from the transfer market and promote youth until this whole thing is settled. Starfallen talent is just another nail in the coffin we have been playing at for a number of years in my opinion. But who knows...

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I get what you mean and even now I get torn on these things but something tells me we should take a rest from the transfer market and promote youth until this whole thing is settled. Starfallen talent is just another nail in the coffin we have been playing at for a number of years in my opinion. But who knows...

I don't want these type of players like Carrasco at Arsenal, he has been playing in China for a few years and that tells you about the person when he is only 25 years old, he has no hunger for the game.  I really think we need to stay away from these type of transfers and invest in players that offer something different and freshness to the squad, we need youth and hunger. 

I am fed up of the transfer system we have had in place for a long while now, we are going for stale players with no burning desire to be successful.

2 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Lots of rumours about us being back in for Carrasco this summer recently. Apparently he has said he has an offer on the table and that he would love to play in the Premier League. Reported figure is around €30m.

He can stay where he is, I do not want him anywhere near the club, anyone that goes to China in their youth or prime deserve to stay there, no hunger to be successful in their career.  We do not need this type of mentality at the club anymore, we have far to many players like Mustafi, Auba, Xhaka etc they have no hunger and weak mentality. 

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Indeed my only big worry is if we offer him stupid wages, we can't really afford to have another player who is immovable due to wages. 

14 minutes ago, Panna King said:

He can stay where he is, I do not want him anywhere near the club, anyone that goes to China in their youth or prime deserve to stay there, no hunger to be successful in their career.  We do not need this type of mentality at the club anymore, we have far to many players like Mustafi, Auba, Xhaka etc they have no hunger and weak mentality. 

I've read he only went their because Atletico have a partnership with the Chinese club he went to and it was done for money purposes. Again I understand your point, but Dortmund got a very successful deal out of Witsel and he came from China. For me it's all about the financials we can't overpay here. 

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Indeed my only big worry is if we offer him stupid wages, we can't really afford to have another player who is immovable due to wages. 

I've read he only went their because Atletico have a partnership with the Chinese club he went to and it was done for money purposes. Again I understand your point, but Dortmund got a very successful deal out of Witsel and he came from China. For me it's all about the financials we can't overpay here. 

There are far more better players that we can go for, where the hell is the scouting at this club,  I rather have Neres or Ziyech from Ajax.  Arsenal need to get wide players back at the club as well as adding a defender.

1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

What part do you think Diego Simeone played in all of that mate?

There is no way in hell the coach (on top of that, someone of the character Simeone has) would let a player that is of great value to him go because of some marketing ploy the club's publicity department has with China.

What I have done with my opinion mate, is put 2+2 together and believe me, it comes up with the perfect result of =4.

Obviously with Atleti's succesful spell now for a number of years with 'El Cholo' it's been impossible not to follow the day in day out of the club if you're an avid La Liga fan like me. With that, talented players of the ilk of Yannick Carrasco come to the fore and you only have to look at the playing patterrns of the player under Simeone to come to a conclusion that can't be far wrong to feel that his arrival at our club in the current state we're in is extremely risky. No matter how difficult it is for us to attract top end players in our current situation, something like this if it goes wrong will bury us deeper because he will rightly demand a high wage.

Now, there is a positive side with this considering Unai Emery is our coach because I can cite another talented player that has been extremely hit and miss throughout his time in Spain and yet Emery has been the only one to have obtained relative consistency from him... Not 100% because there are footballers that just haven't got those levels of consistency which comes from maximum discipline in them. But enough for the player to have been of tremendous value. That player is the Argentinian, Ever Banega. So, there is the element of a "maybe" in all of this, but there is also the big risk backed up by facts of disaster in our current state.

Like I said further up on a previous post mate, I think it's plainly obvious we have to take a very different approach for a while now until many things get sorted out and not keep undermining our future with the terrible way things have been done for over a decade now. This is all an opinion of course, but I strongly feel it's a time for patience and accepting we will be nowhere near competitive at the top end for a while and reconstruct the club from top to bottom.

Big big clubs have had to do this in the past and it's been achieved with youth and the academies.

23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

According to some vague sources, both Arsenal Football Club and Yannick Carrasco have agreed personal terms with an apparent fee of $34m. Oh well... Only hope this ends well!

Dreadful news if this is true, Arsenal are a shocking run club, what the hell is going on with our scouting, how you can take players from China who have been doing nothing with their careers for the last 2 years.  We need hungry players not crap like this.  It is just the same old signings, going for players that have a name that no one else wants.

I don't think him being in China for a couple of years says much other than he was offered a shit load of money that he felt he would've been stupid to refuse. He improves what we have in the wide attacking areas as all we really have is Iwobi (who has some very good moments but his final ball needs a lot of work) and Reiss Nelson (who doesn't have much experience).

Attacking from out wide seems to be Emery's main play which is somewhat annoying as it limits attacking midfielders that want to attack through the middle like Mikhitaryan and Ozil who have been less influential last season specifically because of Emery's style. If Carrasco is the answer or not, we'll have to see (if he joins) but I'm hoping that overall we have a more fluid and varied style of play.

13 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I don't think him being in China for a couple of years says much other than he was offered a shit load of money that he felt he would've been stupid to refuse. He improves what we have in the wide attacking areas as all we really have is Iwobi (who has some very good moments but his final ball needs a lot of work) and Reiss Nelson (who doesn't have much experience).

Attacking from out wide seems to be Emery's main play which is somewhat annoying as it limits attacking midfielders that want to attack through the middle like Mikhitaryan and Ozil who have been less influential last season specifically because of Emery's style. If Carrasco is the answer or not, we'll have to see (if he joins) but I'm hoping that overall we have a more fluid and varied style of play.

For me what was noticeable last season was when Aaron Ramsey played and when he didn't play in terms of our possible fortunes within any given game. My point isn't to revive a debate on the debacle of his departure but only to point out that his atrributes are maybe a good way forward to improving our competitivity. What's out there in the same vein and affordable for us is another story though.

• The topic was locked

Archived