talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carabao Cup 2018/19 Semi-Final - Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea (1st Leg)

football forum

Bit unfortunate. Rudiger should've done better there. Spurs haven't threaten at all. 

Thought we've played well. Much better showing than in the league. Great to see Hazard encourage Odoi's every attempt on goal.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Chelsea are hard to gauge for me. Basically trying to do the right things but so many players ill-suited to what Sarri is trying to do, as well as that glaring hole up front. It's a strange one as they initially seemed to adapt so well to the new tactics, but overall it isn't surprising. I think given time and the right players, Sarri will succeed, but it will take patience.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Chelsea are hard to gauge for me. Basically trying to do the right things but so many players ill-suited to what Sarri is trying to do, as well as that glaring hole up front. It's a strange one as they initially seemed to adapt so well to the new tactics, but overall it isn't surprising. I think given time and the right players, Sarri will succeed, but it will take patience.

Our left side is appalling. Willian, Barkley, and Alonso linking up is such an eye sore. 

Odoi actually did well with the space Spurs gave him. Don't think we have ever said that about Willian in the 5 years he's been with us. 

Not making the most of some our attacking play in the final third due to some poor decision making, Barkley, Willian, Alonso and Kante being the usual culprits.

Alonso has put two decent crosses in though in fairness. Apart from that he averages 1 good cross in 10.

To be honest I am not all that worried about this game or the final result even if we go out.. It's clear we have so much work to do with our opportunities going forward that we could have expected games like this... As Cicero pointed out elsewhere Pochettino has had a good few years building this Spurs side and shaping it into a good attacking unit and Sarri has not had that time.. He has worked hard on the possession side of our game and I have no complaints about that but we need a sharper cutting edge up front.. until that is resolved we will be relying on a bit of magic from someone to turn games like this in our favour.. 

• Subscriber

There's literally nothing to occupy Tottenhams defenders. They can keep Chelsea at arms length with relative comfort. I'm sure Tottenham would adapt their approach if Chelsea were offering more of a threat as well but at the moment it's pretty easy for them to see this out. Chelsea would be good value for an equaliser but the lack of goal threat is excruciating. Their front six includes Kante, Jorginho and no recognised striker.

• The title was changed to Carabao Cup 2018/19 Semi-Final - Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea (1st Leg)
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Their front six includes Kante, Jorginho and no recognised striker

Missed off Kovacic too who never scores or seems to do much at all. I was wrong about the striker part, just realised Giroud is on but still not your traditional kitchen sink to say the least...

Full time an Tottenham win 1-0. Tough one for Chelsea back at the Bridge because it's hard to see Spurs not scoring an away goal on the counter attack when Chelsea are forced to chase the game.

As for Spurs, that's definitely the type of performance you describe as "professional" and "efficient" rather than any glowing terms. That's what they've missed at this stage in the past though so fair play.

Well that was all a bit sadly predictable... bossed pretty much most of the game, failed to take the easy chances and did our usual conceding, although in fairness it was through a penalty.. other than that Spurs were bang average going forward but then with their defence being on top of things and soaking up our attacks fairly easily why bother taking extra risks.. 

So frustrating. Three in a row we've lost to them now. 

Just when we fix the amount of space we leave in midfield, we sacrifice our cutting edge up front. Spurs barely threatened but we could of played another 90 tonight and I reckon we still wouldn't of scored. 

Continue to start CHO from now on. Act quickly to get a CF and put Hazard back at LW. NEVER start Barkley again in a big game. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Hazard best player on the pitch by a mile. 

He was, but also was no threat really through no fault of his own. Pretty dribbling and link up but we didn’t let him have a sniff when he got near the box and there was no real other danger 

CHO is a talent though for certain 

Tottenham I thought defended brilliantly throughout. Chelsea played some lovely football you to the final third but I never really felt they were going to score. 1 clear cut chance from the corner. 

It was a penalty I thought he was level and it was a clear foul from Kepa. Chelsea didn't deserve to lose but Spurs were clinical with that penalty. I used to give Sissoko a lot of criticism at Newcastle but the last 2 months he's been brilliant for Tottenham. Very professional mature performance from Spurs. Hazard played well but Tottenham defended him well. It sets up the 2nd leg brilliantly.  Spurs will miss Son but Lucas Moura can have a big impact for Tottenham in the 2nd leg I expect them to play better from an attacking point of view away from home. 3 wins in a row over Chelsea Spurs fans are rightly loving this season. Poch is doing a fantastic job for them. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived