talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carabao Cup 2018/19 Semi-Final - Man City 9-0 Burton (1st Leg)

football forum

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

I don't care what division you are in. For a professional football team to lose 9-0 in a cup semi final. Pathetic. 

Burtons most expensive ever signing was £500 grand. If Man city play at their best and Burton play at their best city could still win 4 or 5.0. if Burton are a bit below their best they can win 6 or 7.0. So if Burton have a bad game it's not that incredible for city to get that kind of scoreline. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cicero said:

I don't care what division you are in. For a professional football team to lose 9-0 in a cup semi final. Pathetic. 

They are a league one team going up against one of the best in world football. Really isn’t some big surprise.

1 hour ago, Pep Talk said:

They are a league one team going up against one of the best in world football. Really isn’t some big surprise.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Burtons most expensive ever signing was £500 grand. If Man city play at their best and Burton play at their best city could still win 4 or 5.0. if Burton are a bit below their best they can win 6 or 7.0. So if Burton have a bad game it's not that incredible for city to get that kind of scoreline. 

Does not matter. These are still professional footballers. They have a skill set that separates them from the rest and are paid to play. 

To lose 9-0 is fucking appalling and the fans have a right to be refunded. 

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Does not matter. These are still professional footballers. They have a skill set that separates them from the rest and are paid to play. 

To lose 9-0 is fucking appalling and the fans have a right to be refunded. 

If Burton played like that against a team in their own league they may loose by a couple of goals or even win some games. If city had only won by two or three last night they would have dropped their level significantly. I don't think Burton dropped their level more than a top 6 side loosing to a bottom half of the table side. For me it's about what level the players are at and how much below their best they were not the result.

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

If Burton played like that against a team in their own league they may loose by a couple of goals or even win some games. If city had only won by two or three last night they would have dropped their level significantly. I don't think Burton dropped their level more than a top 6 side loosing to a bottom half of the table side. For me it's about what level the players are at and how much below their best they were not the result.

I disagree. Be it a pro in the premier league or a pro in league one. They have a certain skill set that makes them a professional player. I don't care if it is a team of Messi's and Maradona's, no professional football club should lose to them by nearly 10 bloody goals. These players get paid to play! 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I disagree. Be it a pro in the premier league or a pro in league one. They have a certain skill set that makes them a professional player. I don't care if it is a team of Messi's and Maradona's, no professional football club should lose to them by nearly 10 bloody goals. These players get paid to play! 

How have you worked out that no team should loose by 9 goals of they are playing a team significantly better than them?

On 09/01/2019 at 22:27, UNORTHODOX said:

Every Burton player should be embarrassed by that scoreline, Doesn't matter how good the opposition is for me they should not be losing 9-0. What a disgrace.

Absolutely not they have done brilliantly to get this far. Plus their mid table in league 1  that's 2 and a half leagues below one of the best teams in the world. City had a strong team out they went for it. They just hammered championship side Rotherham 7-0 and they beat premier league sides Huddersfield and Southampton by 6 goals. They scored 5 past 10 man Liverpool last season. So 9-0 against Burton is hardly a shock they shouldn't be embarrassed and they definitely weren't a disgrace.

• Subscriber

I'm with Cicero on this one. It's sort of funny for us as neutrals to see big scorelines but some of the goals they conceded were embarrassing.

On one hand there's a huge gulf between City and Burton, but at the same time there isn't that much. As you work your way from lower Premier League to upper Championship the gap is marginal, then from upper Championship to lower Championship the gap is marginal. Significant enough to separate the best teams from the worst teams over the course of a season but you don't get the absolute gulfs that would separate a Premier League team and a League One team by nine goals.

It's an extremely poor performance from Burton even if they'd fully expect to lose the match comfortably beforehand. There's a reason the odds on it being 9-0 were around 100/1.

I didn’t seeBurton olayets giving up or not try they were just beaten by a far superior team and as someone said a few more expensive team. 

City will have kids we’ve never heard of on 3x more than any burton player. The gap is getting bigger every year with money and category 1 academy’s.

We’e seen premier league teams lose by very big margins. Didn’t Wigan get hit for 9? Villa lost 8-0? Sure Sunderland did too.

The notion of refunding supporters is ridiculous, you support your team through thick and thin, you don’t get paid more when there’s a shock good result and shouldn’t be refunded with a bad result. It sets a dangerous precedent. We did it once, I think we got hammered by Swansea away and refunded the fans, then I can’t remember who but a few months later we got hammered again and muppet fans were asking for refunds again.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived