talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stoke City sack Gary Rowett

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

4 clubs in 4 years now he's managed. Did well at Burton if I recall but since then, taken on by Birmingham but since being sacked thanks to new owners at the time, it's not worked out.

Not quite sure what his level is? 

I've said since day dot on here I wasn't sold on Stoke. You could see this coming from the moment we beat them opening day. They were outrun, outfought, couldn't deal with the intensity we brought. They were a mess. And they never recovered.

Rowett didn't take enough responsibility for his decisions IMO. Don't think his signings were particularly great given the outlay for them, and his style of football is a bit dated.

He wanted Stoke to be solid, direct and physical but it's a bit of a dying breed that teams that play that way are successful. You only have to look at this season and see that us, Norwich, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Derby...the teams up there at the moment all play an attractive brand of football and it tends to work best.

Cardiff are one of the very few exceptions in recent times to teams that have bullied their way up with direct football and that is arguably down to Warnock's man management.

Rowett was brilliant for Birmingham and very harshly dealt with. Especially when you consider they were flying and inexplicably brought in Zola who failed miserably. But since then, i've heavily disliked him.

He showed arrogance and portrayed himself as a moaner at Derby. He was backed well by the owner too and I don't think he coped with the pressure, especially as Derby had a stigma about collapsing second half of the season, hense why he bailed to Stoke. He wasn't good enough to see them over the line.

And ultimately, the pressure of managing a team built up as pre season favourites has got to him too. I think it will be interesting for him where his next job is because he needs to rebuild his reputation again.

9 hours ago, Stan said:

4 clubs in 4 years now he's managed. Did well at Burton if I recall but since then, taken on by Birmingham but since being sacked thanks to new owners at the time, it's not worked out.

Not quite sure what his level is? 

He needs to make better decisions. Joining Birmingham, an utter basket case of a club, and following that up with Derby, a club who sack people more regularly than Alan Sugar on the Apprentice, was a kind of career suicide. 

He may well have taken Burton Albion as far as he believed he could but joining Birmingham and then Derby just weren’t good career moves. You’re not getting time at either and you’re not getting the resources you should at Birmingham. Unfairly sacked perhaps but he joined such a poorly run club that were always looking to change owners that he should have steered well clear. 

He needs a solid lower-to-mid table Championship club who are well run to get his career back on track. Someone like a Millwall or a Preston. Maybe a top end League One job if a relatively big club need a manager. 

On 08/01/2019 at 21:46, Smiley Culture said:

He needs to make better decisions. Joining Birmingham, an utter basket case of a club, and following that up with Derby, a club who sack people more regularly than Alan Sugar on the Apprentice, was a kind of career suicide. 

He may well have taken Burton Albion as far as he believed he could but joining Birmingham and then Derby just weren’t good career moves. You’re not getting time at either and you’re not getting the resources you should at Birmingham. Unfairly sacked perhaps but he joined such a poorly run club that were always looking to change owners that he should have steered well clear. 

He needs a solid lower-to-mid table Championship club who are well run to get his career back on track. Someone like a Millwall or a Preston. Maybe a top end League One job if a relatively big club need a manager. 

I honestly don't think he'd go for those kind of vacancies. Always struck me as arrogant, thinking he's of much higher stock than he is.

He's had a string of jobs since Birmingham and failed at them all, but I'm certain he's still looking at the likes of West Brom, Villa and Forest as potential new clubs... Not a chance, surely?

Archived