talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL 3-1 PERÚ

football forum

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep copa America for South American countries.

Got an idea for format:

have a qualifying round of bottom 4 ranked teams.  home and away style where the 2 winners qualify.  Final tournament have 8 team. Top 2 go to semifinals knockout, etc

this gives the bottom 4 more to play for and more competitive games 

Them inviting other nations is nothing new since the likes of Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, USA, etc have been in it before.

I think Japan are a good addition as they play in a way which suits south american style football, minus the physicality and dirty play. It'll be interesting.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Brazil and Argentina the favourites for this according to SkyBet. Is this accurate? 

xD

Of course. Uruguay is probably the next best team, followed by Colombia, Chile, and Peru. But in terms of talent, I think it's going to be either Argentina or Brazil winning it. 

Would love to see Venezuela or Paraguay make a run though. 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

xD

Of course. Uruguay is probably the next best team, followed by Colombia, Chile, and Peru. But in terms of talent, I think it's going to be either Argentina or Brazil winning it. 

Both had pretty poor World Cup’s and I was wondering whether their results and recent form was considered in compiling these odds or whether it was largely reputational. 

16 hours ago, Eco said:

xD

Rereading this, I agree and I also don't.

Brazil is by far the favourite and I would be shocked if they don't come out of this tournament with a win.

Uruguay is the second favourite. Third is a toss up. I would say Argentina but they still don't convince me. Colombia don't either, so it's tough.

I would have us as bigger favourites than Chile though as we are simply a better side

Paraguay always have a shot as they are a great cup team. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our Copa America squad goes up later today apparently.

List of 40, I'm just hoping we don't see Zambrano (ill disciplined) or Alberto Rodriguez (hasn't played since the World Cup)

• The topic was pinned

f7775410cd32be77ed55ce488ba8fad5.png

fbc6c54f5e1853167ac66b556f860543.png

It's a good squad, but there are some shocking options there. Peña, Hohberg, Manzaneda and Alberto Rodriguez have no business in there. I guess that's what happens when you need to present a list of 40 though!

I've done the squad I would call up. It's tough actually

Keepers: Carvallo, Gallese, Caceda

Defence: Advincula, Corzo, Callens, Trauco, Santamaria, Abram, Araujo

Midfield: Yotun, Tapia, Aquino, Flores, Cueva, Hurtado, Arias, Gonzales, Carrillo

Forwards: Guerrero, Farfan, Ruidiaz, Da Silva

Tough to leave out Polo, Lopez and Reyna but I don't think they make the cut. Polo and Lopez have been poor for their club and Reyna just misses out due to there being better forwards.

Looks like Aguero will be called up. Rightly so. 

Lautaro-------Aguero

Gomez----------------------------Messi

Paredes---Lo Celso

Tagliafico------Funes Mori-------Otamendi------Bustos

Benitez 

Group A

Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia

Group B

Colombia, Argentina, Paraguay, Qatar

Group C

Uruguay, Japan, Chile, Ecuador

I reckon the groups will end in that order. Third placed teams will be Paraguay and Chile. I was close to saying Venezuela as they are a good side, but I do think we'll edge the game against them, and I can't see them getting something against Brazil. That will leave them at 3 points which normally isn't enough to go through in 3rd. Japan are actually sending their best team, which surprises me. I think they can get through.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Looks like Aguero will be called up. Rightly so. 

Lautaro-------Aguero

Gomez----------------------------Messi

Paredes---Lo Celso

Tagliafico------Funes Mori-------Otamendi------Bustos

Benitez 

Let me guess....Icardi is still getting shafted because Messi doesn't like him? 

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Kind of surprised Lautaro is over Icardi and Dybala honestly. 

Why? He's the future and is a superb footballer. On current form, Martinez and Aguero are the best options for a 2 man system. 

I've seen every one of Dybala's performances for Argentina, and with no exaggeration I can't find one where he put in a good performance. Looks out of place and completely useless. He's best with a team built around him and behind the striker, but he won't get that under Solari. 

In all honesty, he'd be great for Italy. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Why? He's the future and is a superb footballer. On current form, Martinez and Aguero are the best options for a 2 man system. 

I've seen every one of Dybala's performances for Argentina, and with no exaggeration I can't find one where he put in a good performance. Looks out of place and completely useless. He's best with a team built around him and behind the striker, but he won't get that under Solari. 

In all honesty, he'd be great for Italy. 

Icardi and Aguero is who I would put up front. Aguero is more creative, and Icardi and one of the best finishers I've seen at Inter in a long time. 

Lautaro might be the future, but to me, doesn't deserve a spot over the two mentioned above. 

I can't argue with your views on Dybala. Him playing for Italy would be much more to his strengths than it is for Argentina. 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How do you realistically think Peru will fare? 

I genuinely think we are good enough to win it. However, looking at tournament brackets and whatnot, I think the most realistic situation is finishing in a top 4 spot again like in 2015 and 2011. As in semi-finals. I think with Brazil in the way for 2 possible games, it is looking difficult given they are at home.

This is likely Guerrero and Farfan's last tournament for us, so after this I can see us decline a bit.

Just now, José said:

Given their below average performances at the WC, just being part of the tournament should be good enough for the fans with common sense. Peru will finish third or fourth in the group. 

He wasn't talking to you

• The title was changed to Copa América 2019 - Final - BRAZIL v PERÚ
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived